ECOS3903 vs ECOS3904 (1 Viewer)

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Anyone had any experience with ECOS3903 (microeconometrics - with Hayley Fisher in 2017) or ECOS3904 (macroeconomics - with Ed Nelson in 2017)? Which would you recommend? Don't have any idea what I want to do after next year so don't have a particular preference for either. Thanks

sida1049

HSC
Why not both?
This.

Have you had professor Nelson? He knows his stuff and has a very impressive resume, but a lot of ECON1002 students (including porcupinetree, who attained 100 in the course) have problems with his teaching (reading off of slides with a lot of words, boring and monotonous voice, et cetera). And he only taught 4 weeks of the content, which made a significant dent in lecture attendance.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Can't do both unfortunately because of LLB / B. Com requirements. After discussing with the student centre and the coordinator, it seems like I will not be able to do ECOS3903, and can do ECOS3904 only.

Last edited:

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
I did both in 2015 but had Kevin rather than Haley for 3903 so I'm not sure if the course would have changed. I would recommend doing both since you'll need 3903 if you intend on doing an applied microeconomics thesis and you'll need 3904 if you intend on doing an applied macroeconomics thesis. The problem is that it's unlikely that you truly know what an applied thesis is until you've done these subjects (unless you've done some RA work), so I really recommend doing both.

If you are truly indifferent between applied micro and macro and you can really only do 1 then I would do 3903. 3903 was probably my favourite subject in university (but mostly because of Kevin who is now not taking the course) and it was much easier than 3904 imo (but others disagreed). Most importantly though, the way the subjects are currently for Honours, 3903 is more relevant than 3904 for the actual coursework (assuming the subjects don't change). I found 3903 helped alot in assessments during my Honours year while 3904 only had minimal benefit. Also, Ed is one of the best (if not the best) researchers in the department, but his lecturing style is an 'acquired taste' to say the least.

@elkedag, might be too late but BEc/LLB will allow you to do both if you can make the switch.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)