Eep! Ur Opinion Needed! (1 Viewer)

Killah33

I was wondering whether this was alright.....

i know Brave New World is on the syllabus for Comparative Study

now, not knowing this, i used BNW in my powerplay related material for representation and text

Is this allowed?????

I DIDNT EVEN KNOW!!!!!!!!!

Dario

HSC
You might get marked down a bit because they might think you had a narrow understanding of powerplay and needed to use texts from other modules. It just looks a bit unprepared. Don't think it's anything major though.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
nah, you'll be fine. You wont get marked down more than about 1 or 2 marks at the most.

kaseita

Its perfectly fine
The syllabus never said you couldn't. One of my friends asked whether he could do that a few months back, and our teacher said it was fine (our teacher was one of the people on the committee who created the new syllabus)

melissella

i dont think u should be marked down at all, becos they cant prove that u did BNW at all anyway... and if they did try to prove it, u didnt do BNW/BR, so u should not lose marks. it would be very harsh if they did mark you down, because there are so many texts in the syllabus and if u cant use ANY of them in other sections, thats pretty crap

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
For those of us who do TED HUGHES in truth we are aloud to use PLATH, so you'll be fine.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You can use prescribed texts from other modules/AOS's
and yeah my eng teacher is an HSC marker too..so hopefully she knows her stuff..

similarly to killah, I used Star Wars from changing worlds as an extra text for Powerplay

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Yeah, I was in a similar situation with the section III essay for AoS. I studied Gwen Harwood for Changing Self, but used Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game as a related text because it fit in really well with what I wanted to say. I talked to a few teachers, a few markers, and a very bored woman at the advice line about it and they seemed all to say that it wouldn't be marked down, and it depends more on how you express your ideas.

However, I suppose you could attribute it to 'not looking widely enough for your sources', which I'm sure isn't the case for most people, its just that some texts on the syllabus fit in really well with other texts.

And if it's not in your module/focus, how the smiggins do they know that you haven't looked widely enough and found nilch, or that you found your text, without realising it was also on the syllabus? Maybe not BNW in that case, but something like "Nine Vicious Little Hypertexts" I had no idea existed until I saw the paper on Wednesday.

:)

Last edited:

EXA BOY

nah dude ull b fine i used "i have a dream" for powerplay which is in the speeches section and its perfectly fine to do that

Spock

the folk at my school told us that even using a prescribed text from another SUBJECT was completely not on... I know a few people who wanted to use texts from Drama in their English papers, and they were told to avoid them. I can't vouch for what people ended up using, but I know we were told to avoid any prescribed text from any subject as supplementary material, particularly the ones we'd already done in modules etc.

who knows... my school's English department is often considered to be completely screwed... (which ain't good at a selective school...)

Chicken

I really don't see a problem with using Brave New World for Powerplay.

My class studied BNW in Year 10 (so why is it on the Advanced English Prescribed Text List?!!!!) and so one girl in my class (there's 9 people at my school who did Advanced English, so we all had different TOCs) studied BNW along with Orwell's "1984". Our teacher is Head of Eng. at my school, and she's been teaching for 30 years or so and knows exactly what she's doing.

She certainly DIDN'T see a problem with using BNW for a TOC in Powerplay.

HSC
Originally posted by Spock
the folk at my school told us that even using a prescribed text from another SUBJECT was completely not on... who knows... my school's English department is often considered to be completely screwed... (which ain't good at a selective school...)
lol a mate of mine used is physics textbook as supplementry material!! in change he said how the textbook stated that the heavens werent unchanging yadda yadda......u get the pictture

Originally posted by Spock
my school's English department is often considered to be completely screwed... (which ain't good at a selective school...)
funny..my english department IS completly screwed.....anyone see a patern with english teachers??!!!

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Hmm, not convinced

think what you want, but using a text from another module isnt exactly going to impress a marker. The impression its going to give (whether its true or not) is that you havent been bothered to go out and find your own relatd material of your own choosing (this is the point, something in the syllabus isnt of your own choosing). They prolly wont crucify you for it, but im sure itll cos oyu one or two marks. This is what i have been told by *my* english teachers. The teachers don't really know, they just give you educated guesses. The advice line also warned me against using such texts. i orginially for powerplay (julius caesar) had Antigone by Sophocles (listed in mod C) and Cicero's In Catilinam I (One of those speeches)..hard luck eh, both in the syllabus and i didnt even know!

pLaying it safe is so much easier

its not like there's a shortage of "texts" out there

later! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)