Electrical Engineering (1 Viewer)

Swalbs

Wud u like 2 buy a vowel?
HSC
Ive read and heard that UNSW is much better for electrical engineering than UTS, USYD, and all the rest. Is this just ppl being biased or is there a good reason why one would go to NSW instead of somewhere else 4 elec engineering? And is it just elec eng, or is NSW supposedly better 4 every engineering course.

ioniser

HSC
yeah i heard that as well even my teacher said so because they have the most updated courses apart from aero engineering which is better at usyd as they have basically a whole faculty dedicated to aero,but keep in mind electrical is the hardest ,i heard with the biggest drop out rate of all the engineering courses

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Electrical engineering has high drop-out because you need to be good at maths. If you're good at maths, orwilling to work hard at maths, don't worry.

The story I've heard is that USyd basically transferred their resources from Electrical to Aerospace. USyd is best for Aerospace, UNSW best for Electrical.

Even if that is untrue, UNSW is definitely damn good at Electrical and has a few different subprogrammes in it:
Generic Electrical
Photonics
Telecommunications
Photovoltaics

Telecom is heavily maths based.
Photovoltaics is run by a different school (it's based on solar arrays and renewable energy).
Photonics is based on photons rather than electrons.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Photovoltaics isn't a subprogram of electrical engineering....The just have similar first year subjects which is common between a lot of engineering courses.

BUT in our first dig circuits lecture the lecture showed us how to design a leap year flag and then said "okay now you know enough to graduate from UTS elec eng" which was rather funny but he always pays out UTS engineering so who knows

gman03

HSC
Courtenay said:
Photovoltaics isn't a subprogram of electrical engineering....The just have similar first year subjects which is common between a lot of engineering courses.

BUT in our first dig circuits lecture the lecture showed us how to design a leap year flag and then said "okay now you know enough to graduate from UTS elec eng" which was rather funny but he always pays out UTS engineering so who knows
Haha Sri lol. I assure you that if you have the original lecturer you would cry in the first lecture.

Back to topic. I don't know how usyd teaches elec eng, but in uts i heard they do more practical stuff in first 2 years than in UNSW. In unsw they teach you the hard core fundamental stuff in electronics before you do serious design.

Basically what I believe is that as a student you should know what you are doing before you do stuff, instead of "let try now and understand later"...

As for USyd, well since it has higher uai cut-off nonsense people think it is better so they rush into that uni, which is why UNSW has more people who wants to do elec not because of uai --> more ethusiasm --> better learning + teaching..

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Courtenay: I mean that it's a programme which covers a specific application of electrical engineering and might also appeal to somebody interested in EE.

ioniser

HSC
^its so gay for 2006ers 1st years , you can't do combine enineering with commerce,law..........@usyd

do you know people know why?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ioniser said:
^its so gay for 2006ers 1st years , you can't do combine enineering with commerce,law..........@usyd

do you know people know why?
Since when can't you combine USyd engineering with commerce or law? The UAC site seems to contradict you...

ioniser

HSC
withoutaface said:
Since when can't you combine USyd engineering with commerce or law? The UAC site seems to contradict you...

sorry i forgot to add , you can't combine engineering space streams with commerce and law.Which sucks because the uai is so high for the space stream courses

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ioniser said:
sorry i forgot to add , you can't combine engineering space streams with commerce and law.Which sucks because the uai is so high for the space stream courses
You can. Gordo is doing Aeonautical(space)/Law

ioniser

HSC
withoutaface said:
You can. Gordo is doing Aeonautical(space)/Law

yeah that was last year,not this year.In the uac book this year it says "not avaliablewith the space engineering streams"

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
Which is better for eletrical engineering out of USyd and UTS?

gman03

HSC
Maximus said:
Which is better for eletrical engineering out of USyd and UTS?
UTS, as they are required to do 6months of practical work.

batigol

Giant
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Electrical engineering has high drop-out because you need to be good at maths. If you're good at maths, orwilling to work hard at maths, don't worry.
what kind of maths should 1st years expect? how hard is it compared to high school's 4 unit maths?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
batigol said:
what kind of maths should 1st years expect? how hard is it compared to high school's 4 unit maths?
The first year maths isnt necessarily extremely hard, you can get annoying simultaneous equations, and you should be good at manipulating complex numbers too. Its (in first year) more about the skills that maths brings out in you, being able to see circuits in a different way to how they're drawn is an extremely useful trait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)