Eligibility for Spanish Continuers (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm James. I'm in Year 10 this year and I think that next year I would like to do Spanish Continuers through the Open High School (as I might want to be an interpreter and Spanish is a language offered as part of the UWS BA in Interpreting/Translation program). I currently study Stage 5 Italian (and I got two A grades last year) through the Open High School, so I know that I can cope with studying a subject via distance education. However, I have a problem - I haven't studied Stage 5 Spanish.

Are there any courses (outside of school) that you would recommend (keeping in mind I live in Sydney)? I don't know much Spanish at the moment, only basic stuff like "Hello", "Good morning", "Goodbye" and so on. So a beginners course would be good - and a course where you get a certificate on completion certifying you can communicate using basic Spanish would be ideal (as the Deputy Principal at my school requires "proof" that you are eligible for a Continuers language course). I should be able to study Italian Continuers at school, so doing two similar languages would be great.

Just a few more questions - how does Spanish Continuers scale? And as the Uni course I might like to do requires "native or near-native fluency" in your target language, would taking Spanish Extension is Year 12 be advisable?

Thank you,

James

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
its gna be tough work getting up to continuers standard within one year, but i guess its possible. i got myself up to and past beginners standard in about 4 weeks, but not for spanish (for french).

not sure about taking classes, but theres heaps of resources out there on the net, radio and tv for learning languages. i learnt all my french through the net. if you do enough work, you might even be able to catch up sometime during the year with the OHS program!

most languages scale reasonably well, especially extension. doing spanish extension would be pretty much a 'must' if you wanted to get to near native fluency (and even then it might not be enough!)

Schoey93

HSC
Does anyone here know if there is much work available for Spanish interpreters/translators in Australia?
Edit: does HSC Spanish Continuers require you to speak with the Castilian lisp, or do prounouce sounds such as 'ce' and 'ci' as an 's', like Latin American speakers and speakers from southern Spain?

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
does HSC Spanish Continuers require you to speak with the Castilian lisp, or do prounouce sounds such as 'ce' and 'ci' as an 's', like Latin American speakers and speakers from southern Spain?

you can choose either of them, but you must stick to one and not use both pronunciations in your exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)