Engliish advice (1 Viewer)

blackratpoo

HSC
hey stressed out yr 12 peeps. i was in your position last year and having obtained my raw marks, I wanted to share and pass on some advice concerning the english exams. i went really well in the trials (99/105) and was pumped going into the hsc. i went with the memorizing generic essays and adapting to the question technique. and I went well but i want to share some interesting things I found.

i thought i got raped in the short sections cause i kinda got really nervous and panicked a little. got 14/15. couldnt believe it when i saw it. then when i read my answers again, i was like shit what was i worried about. in this section they really dont mark you on your answer but the way you answer. how insightful you are/sound. seriously, dont be afraid to take a unique approach (they dont give a fucked up llama) as long as you use sophisticated techniques as evidence. SYNTHESISE PEOPLE.

short story thought i got 14-15. 14/15. Little devo (i was a perfectionist:wavey:) but this is the only section you cant really really guarantee the 15 imo as fucking hippies mark it.

essay i was so upset coz i thought i didnt understand or answer the question - i got 15/15. my jaw dropped. again, when i re-read my response it was really good only because of how structured it was.

i wont go into modules for now but my point is if you have a really structured almost mechanical mindset/approach to answering questions you cant fail. i wish someone told me this while i was in school so im telling you before the hsc. you need a nice sophisticated style of answering questions and you cant go wrong.

for example the first comprehension question could be: Identify ONE aspect of belonging referred to in the written text? 1 mark. Your thought process without even reading the text should be some types include: filial relationships, search for identity, inclusiveness, shared understanding. always use those key words: idenity, relationships, experience, understanding and one more i cant think of. So now all you have to do is write you answer in a strictly formatted way. This one is easy as its an identify question so this would suffice: "The text depicts Kylie Kwong as an individual in search of discovering her true identity highlighted by her "four visits to China" contrasted to her love for "Australia's lifestyle". Obviously this isnt the most complicated example but already your telling the person marking your P1 section that you are an intelligent advanced student (even if your not standard kids).*You dont need quotes in identify questions but use them. USE INTEGRATED QUOTES ONLY! YOU NEEEDDD TO APPEAR INSIGHTFUL. So for those people who never know how to start a response or get lost halfway through something your writing you could follow this structure for example: "The text depicts/details/highlights/exploits the use of/exaggerates/suggests/..............[insert aspect of belonging]......highlighted by......."integrated quotes". So go get 10 trial papers after you've had your formals and what not's and try and adapt your own personal structure/mindset to each.

creative story. seriously guys if anyone has told you to write in there they're part of al-qaeda. rote learn it. perfect it. say it out loud hundreds of times. write it out hundreds of times and it should take you 30-35 mins. in fact mine was 819 words in 29-32 mins depending on what pen i used. lol. and i got 14. also, the scare here is the text type. i had a speech prepared and a story as i was in the dreadful 2010 cssa trial yr. but be prepared. think of ways you could adapt fragments of your story into an article feature or a speech if they ask it. if your prepared you wont be surprised. in you mind ask yourself: "how would i approach that if they asked it?". EXPECT NOTHING, ANTICIPATE EVERYTHING. I was kinda dissapointed last year cause i was ready for every trick in the book last year and seriously it was the most generic paper (all essays, all stories). which means there will be a different text type (if not AOS it will be in modules) this year.

anyway, im hungry but good luck peoples. uni is sooo much fun so get drunk and chill out but in the approaching month to the hsc just buckle down an molest the shit out of it. also here are some visual techniques (people always analyse visual texts crap) but again it is the way you stylise your response and use the techniques to explain the sophisticated notion your conveying that will get you the marks:
PART 1 – READING TASK
Visual Techniques
· Salience [averted gaze (offer) or direct gaze (demand)]
· Proportion/Framing
· Vectors/Reading Paths
· Juxtaposition of elements within the visual

· Contrast of elements within the visual
· Irony of elements within the visual
· Incongruity of elements within the visual

Ways to describe tone too...people always fuck this up too.

· Ironic
· Critical
· Frustrated
· Humorous
· Light-hearted
· Reflective
· Nostalgic
· Melancholic
· Enthusiastic
· Elegiac
· Conversational
· Confessional
· Imperative
· Plaintive
· Invitational

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks so much. I was really inconsistent in English. My best section was Module A, which, ironically, was for the two texts I disliked the most (Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice).

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
wow thanks alot hahaa I knew this lol.... Im pretty consistent with english however things i could improve on significantly =DD cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)