• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is bullcrap (1 Viewer)

m_isk

HSC
N/A
I just got my mark back for my in the wild assessment. I went really crap. But im scared to go and accost my stupid (nay, retarderd) teacher because i fear that maybe she'll give me half a mark here and then take 15 off somewhere else. What kind of stupid system is this? English is crap, its purely subjective -there are no right or wrong answers -and one teacher's rankings may be COMPLETELY different to another's. What a load of crap. Some people in my class have HSC markers for tutors and they reckon these marks are a load of crap...n what does my retarded teacher say? "umm...i don't care about your HSC markers, no one knows what the expectations are except me" what a load of crap...the marking guidelines are on paper for all to see. To exacerbate the situations, one of the outcomes for our "in the wild" assessment was from the "transformations" module. And we tell her. And she denies it...heck anything goes its english :mad: . end rant :D

tempco

HSC
hsc english is not real english. wait till uni, and do an arts subject if you like english. :uhhuh:

Lennie

Hehehe. i understand totally. im also stuck with 'in the wild'.
im horribly confused because all of my life, i have had teachers who constantly stress the seriousness of including many literary techniques etc.
my teacher now, has basically said to us "i want no mention of alliteration or anything like that. imagery is the only thing you should mention".

am i the only one who sees a problem with only mentioning imagery in the hsc?

i've come to believe that all english teachers a crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:

m_isk

HSC
N/A
hahaha yeh me too. My friend calls them "english people" and the undisputed conclusion is that they're all nuts hahaha. n i think you can't mention imagery and only imagery..that's insane!!! jst see the standards package or maybe get a tutor -cos ur teacher sounds like she has no idea what she's doing. (don't ask me why i think your teacher is a she :p)

Last edited:

Lennie

lol. its a he.
hes an ex university professor. so he is adverse to all of the "fluffing".
he says that we are to get straight to the point and focus on the ideology.
i can see the merits.
but it gets a bit annoying when i hand in an essay that im happy with, and have spent loads of time trying to make it sound mildly intellectual... only to get it back with marks lost because its "too intellectual"!

i kid you not.
basically we are all being forced to dumb it down if we want to get marks.
worst thing is, you just cant argue with the teachers :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

m_isk

HSC
N/A
and the worst thing is argue =they hate you. They hate u = crap marks no matter how good you are. Englishj sucks, but the system sucks a bit more.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
the trick is not to argue as such, but to ASK. yes, if you sound like you're attacking their marking or their teaching style etc. you aren't going to get anywhere. maybe instead you could tr going to your teacher and saying that you spent a lot of time on your task and were hoping to do better and that you want to try and improve for the next one but you dont really understand what you did wrong. this type of approach says that:
a) you recognise the problem is you and not them, so they're not on the defensive (even if you dont think that)
b) you want to learn and improve (something that teachers are always impressed by)
c) you are following protocol by seeing your teacher first before you see anyone else (this is important if you ever decide to actually go further with a complaint)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
If your teacher is ok with it you should ask the teacher to sit down with you and show u where u went wrong and what you should do to improve...its always helpful and that way you know exactly what they are looking for...especially teachers that mark for the HSC mine does :)

reemz

HSC
man i no exactly what you are going on about, but our teacher teaches us straight from the excel book and is always saying 'i no im spoon feeding you' when she doesnt no how 2 teach it pisses me off man.. but wat eva you do dont complain 2 some1 higher coz it will only backfire and im talking from experience

Lennie

yeah, what totally sucks is the fact that im at tafe for the hsc too.
there are about 10 ppl in my class over the age of 20, and he seems to love them so much more then the rest of us; the no-hoper 18 year olds lol
because hes originally from a uni, hes not used to teaching the younger generation.
but in all fairness all of his students got over a band 5 last year... and for a TAFE, thats pretty damn good

Cab31

HSC
May i refer you to the genius that is the automatic essay generator (see non school). I punched in the topic 'how pointless HSC english is' and it automatically generated this awsome essay:

An essay on how pointless HSC english is
Let us commence a journey into the much travelled topic of how pointless HSC english is. Advancments in how pointless HSC english is can be linked to many areas. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. It is an unfortunate consequence of our civilizations history that how pointless HSC english is is rarely given rational consideration by those politicaly minded individuals living in the past, who are likely to form a major stronghold in the inevitable battle for hearts and minds. Keeping all of this in mind, in this essay I will examine the major issues.

Social Factors

Society begins and ends with how pointless HSC english is. Upon Peter Pinkleton-PishPosh's return to Britain he remarked 'class will refelect the inner hero' [1], he failed to understand that if one seriously intends to 'not judge a book by its cover', then one must read a lot of books. No symbol is more potent than how pointless HSC english is in society today. It bravely illustrates what we are most afraid of, what we all know deep down in our hearts.

Our post-literate society, more than ever before, relies upon how pointless HSC english is. It breaks the mould, shattering man's misunderstanding of man.

How do we explain these clear trends? Clearly inflation plays in increasingly important role in the market economy. A sharp down turn in middle class investment may lead to changes in the market.

Political Factors

Machiavellian politics is rife. Are our leaders justified in pursuing and maintaining political power? Politicians find it difficult to choose between what has become known in politics as - 'The two ways' - the two, equally popular approaches to how pointless HSC english is. If the reader is unaware of these, they need only to turn on the television, or pick up a newspaper or popular magazine.

One quote comes instantly to mind when examining this topic. I mean of course the words of nobel prize winner Aaron Bootlegger 'The success of any political system can only truly be assessed once the fat lady has sung.' [2] Amazingly, he new nothing of how pointless HSC english is until he was well into his thirties. I feel strongly that if politicians spent less time thinking about how pointless HSC english is and put more effort into their family life, that we would have a very different country.

I wait anxiously. What will the next few years bring for how pointless HSC english is?
Conclusion

In conclusion, how pointless HSC english is parades along man's streets and man waves back. It enlightens our daily lives, influences the influencers, and most importantly it perseveres.

One final thought from the talented Whoopi Kournikova: 'My Daddy loved how pointless HSC english is and his Daddy loved how pointless HSC english is.' [3]

I love how it starts with 'journey' in the first sentence~! :p

Lennie

reemz said:
man i no exactly what you are going on about, but our teacher teaches us straight from the excel book and is always saying 'i no im spoon feeding you' when she doesnt no how 2 teach it pisses me off man.. but wat eva you do dont complain 2 some1 higher coz it will only backfire and im talking from experience

lol so true. last year, there was this teacher who couldnt teach if her life depended on it, you would ask her a question, and she would get all angry and send you out of class.
the class complained, parents complained, nothing happened, the entire class failed.
i know thats not really optimism for you, but you just have to teach yourself i guess.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
miss_gtr said:
meh my teacher is such a bias marker, no point discussing anything with her, she keeps saying im dumb....and giving me shiteness marks thats just gonna shit on her (lol i dont know how.. but it will..KARMA?) lols. anyways the point is.. im not that bad at english.. i had an assesment task that was marked by another english teacher and i got 14/15........... when usually my teacher gives me marks of 6/20, 13/25... my halflies essay.. i had a practice essay i done and gave to her, she didnt even bother marking it and said its about 12/20, i rewrote it in the exam , another teacher marked it and i got 13/15..!!
Your teacher should call you dumb...she should be helping you out as much as possible!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
take the work marked by your teacher and by another teacher to your head teacher and complain about biased marking. actually, dont say ur 'complaining' just ask if s/he can explain the difference in marks because it's confusing you about how well or not you are doing and what you need to work on

m_isk

HSC
N/A
but no matter how u word it...they now. And in almost 13 years of schooling I have never seen a teacher overule another's decision. Especially on issues like these. One more problem -my teacher IS the head teacher. Oh woe woe woe :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
English is easy. It's also a skill. So if you're doing poorly, the majority of the problem probably lies with yourself, not your teacher. But people love to blame, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)