English paper 1 AOS question E (1 Viewer)

asroma15

HSC
N/A
ok guys the only area of paper 1 im having trouble with is question E in the short answer responses that is worth 5 marks.

first of all HOW do i get 5 marks in this question?

and what do i need to do to get 5/5? thanks :)

(this should probs be in the english section but cbf)

horsefreak

HSC
I always get 5/5
What I do is approach this as an essay.
I analysis both the texts and depending on the question I analysis it's total effectiveness with regard to the question.
I also use techniques and quotes.

Hope that helps

asroma15

HSC
N/A
ok thankyou so would appropriate structure be:

thesis statement

TEXT 1 analysis

TEXT 2 analysis

conclusion

?

horsefreak

HSC
Yes :)
Remember it's 5 marks you don't wanna spend to long on it.
Remember to link back to the question! Even though it might be a 5 marker, that could pull you down .

asroma15

HSC
N/A
Yes :)
Remember it's 5 marks you don't wanna spend to long on it.
Remember to link back to the question! Even though it might be a 5 marker, that could pull you down .
ok no problem. with the thesis statement would it need to be long ? because all you can do is refer it to the question and the two texts.. haha

E

Effekt

So we are expected to derive a thesis for it? I thought that might be a little unnecessary?

iallan

HSC
N/A
Not necessarily a thesis, I think you would state the concepts of belonging of each text (belonging or not belonging) and how it links to the question.
And then get into an analysis of each text, and finally conclude by redirecting your response to the question.

E

Effekt

I always find it extremely hard to not repeat a technique i also used when answering the previous questions. Perhaps save a few techniques from the previous question and talk about themes?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The last question is a mini essay. You are permitted to use techniques, quotes and explanations in your previous responses. I wish I had known about this before my HSC.

HSC
Uni Grad
The last question is a mini essay. You are permitted to use techniques, quotes and explanations in your previous responses. I wish I had known about this before my HSC.
This is a relief. This is what always stumped me when doing question 1.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually write a two page essay with an intro, paragraph on first text, paragraph on 2nd text, linking paragraph between texts (if needed), and a conclusion.
I got 4 once because I didn't use colour in my 2010 practice, but I had a black and white copy. :/

D94

HSC
N/A
If it's a "which text represents belonging the best" type question, you MUST analyse and compare ALL texts (or the ones they mention), and then make a choice after you've given the comparison. You can't just choose one from the 4 or 5 and then discuss that solely; you have to show why you've chosen one over the other based on the merits of each text.

It's usually an A4 page (and up to a half extra) length, as it's only worth 5 marks.

E

Effekt

If it's a "which text represents belonging the best" type question, you MUST analyse and compare ALL texts (or the ones they mention), and then make a choice after you've given the comparison. You can't just choose one from the 4 or 5 and then discuss that solely; you have to show why you've chosen one over the other based on the merits of each text.

It's usually an A4 page (and up to a half extra) length, as it's only worth 5 marks.
Ah thanks that is really helpful in the past i just picked 2 i thought were the best and never discussed the other ones. So if you are asked to pick 2 discuss all then evaluate which is the best and why.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

This is completely wrong.
One of the teachers at my school marks this section for the HSC and she said you only have to use the amount specified and analyse them well as you would your own prescribed and related texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)