English speakers down for the count (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
English speakers down for the count

Anna Patty Education Editor
July 22, 2008

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/english-speakers-down-for-the-count/2008/07/21/1216492357005.html

Sydney Morning Herald said:
CHILDREN who are English speakers cannot compete with their Asian-language counterparts when it comes to learning how to count above 10, says the head of maths curriculum for the NSW Department of Education.

As a result, early-childhood teachers will be trained to provide extra support for native English speakers, whose progress in maths may be at a disadvantage because of the way the English language is structured.

Peter Gould, the chief education officer for mathematics at the department, said children of both English and Asian-language backgrounds were on par when it came to learning to count from one to 10, but language differences made counting from 11 to 20 and above more difficult for English speakers.

Children had difficulty grasping the words 11, 20 and "teen" words such as 15. This was because there was no logical connection with the word 11 and the words 10 and one, and because 15 does not incorporate the words five and 10.

In contrast, Asian languages based on ancient Chinese did not introduce any new words for numbers above 10. For example, 11 was spoken as "ten one", 12 as "ten two" and 20 as "two-tens".

Although the difference in the way the languages were spoken could create future learning problems for English speakers, Mr Gould said it did not fully explain why children of Asian background generally performed better than their Australian counterparts in the selective schools test. Cultural differences in attitudes towards learning played a more significant role in determining that success.

The State Government recently introduced a new early-childhood learning strategy which is introducing literacy and numeracy testing for kindergarten children.

Mr Gould said learning to count was more important educationally than learning the alphabet.

"Learning to count is more challenging and powerful in terms of what it enables a child to do," he said.
A particularly topical issue in classroom settings. I wonder if this has ramifications in high school and university.

Discuss. Particularly with regards to the accompanying comic :eek:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/07/21/gr_wilcox_narrowweb__300x301,0.jpg

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Neither does german, what's their fucking point? Eins zwei drei... dreizehn vierzen funfzehn sechszehn.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I've been saying it all along: we should go back to Roman Numerals!

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
English is a fucking bastardized language formed from french/roman making sweet love to the krauts. Who gives a fuck? If retards can't count that's their problem

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I completely disregard it.

French, Arabic, Semitic languages, all do it as well. ten-one just sounds retarded if you ask me.

Cerry

HSC
So the fact that another language makes sense makes English easier to grasp? Doubt it. I tend to find that the more I learn in German, the more I wonder what the first English speakers were on.
Besides, I speak English as my first language, and I could count to 100 before I even started school (and the kids in my kindergarten class who couldn't count or read frustrated me immensly). I'd say it's probably got more to do with background - Asians are notorious for starting education, especially maths, earlier than Australians, and they tend to have a stronger work ethic, too. If your parents teach you to count or read or whatever at home when you're little, it will be much easier when you get to school.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Most Asian students are punished in they don't do n amount of student every day. Check out Japan, where, they have school 6 days a week, have clubs (and study groups) after school, homework time after school (institution based) and all this extra curricular stuff, that sees them get home around 7, and then they have to study.

We need to whip our anglo students into shape.
that explains the amount of Hentai, Bondage and Rape fantasy clips they produce.
:rofl:

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Most Asian students are punished in they don't do n amount of student every day. Check out Japan, where, they have school 6 days a week, have clubs (and study groups) after school, homework time after school (institution based) and all this extra curricular stuff, that sees them get home around 7, and then they have to study.

We need to whip our anglo students into shape.
Do they get punished in Australia? I guess I am one of the few that do not belong to the "most" category. Anyway, I doubt that happens. I've never heard of it happening with any of my relatives.

jewoneimon

HSC
so true that asians get pushed more......... after going to a predominately white to a predominately asian school.......... i can see a difference in how much they care about school..... us asians care a bit too much, white guys don't care a bit too much

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
That doesn't really have much to do with punishment. It probably has something to do with CULTURE, like parents telling them how important school is when they are growing up and placing emphasis on their future.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Snaykew said:
That doesn't really have much to do with punishment. It probably has something to do with CULTURE, like parents telling them how important school is when they are growing up and placing emphasis on their future.
Yeah, its culture based. Asians are known for their "hard worker" nature (which a lot of people seem to interpret as "overachiever") and strong work ethic.

English is just a trainwreck of Latin/French/Greek/who-knows-what-other-language words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)