enzyme experiment (8 marks) (1 Viewer)

~amy~

You know the last question for section II? Enzyme 1 and 2 - design an experiment.

What did everyone put for this question? I thought it was really weird, I was a bit unsure of what they wanted. Hopefully i get majority of marks.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I tested temperature

I set up 8 water baths with constant temperatures 10-80 degrees with 10 degree increments

I then put 2 test tubes in each bath, one with the substrate and first enzyme, the other with just the substrate (to use as a control).

Then you just measure the time for the gas to be produced. Problems is i didnt really indicate how to measure the gas.

This was then repeated with the second enzyme, then draw a graph of temp. vs activity and compare optimum temperatures and the temperature range which the enzymes worked in

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
OMG that stuffed me up so badly....... i hated that. left it til the end.. i wrote a whole lot of crap that was probably all wrong =/

Dokoism

acmilan said:
I tested temperature

I set up 8 water baths with constant temperatures 10-80 degrees with 10 degree increments

I then put 2 test tubes in each bath, one with the substrate and first enzyme, the other with just the substrate (to use as a control).

Then you just measure the time for the gas to be produced. Problems is i didnt really indicate how to measure the gas.

This was then repeated with the second enzyme, then draw a graph of temp. vs activity and compare optimum temperatures and the temperature range which the enzymes worked in
yeah measuring the gas was my problem i just put a huge beaker of the top of each aparatus and hoped that it was infered that there was a colour or smell or something produced that u can smell the intensity of or see how much of the gas there was. i know there had to be a better way i just really couldnt think of anything

sgt

oops i forgot the substrate.......i just said boil the bacteria in 20 different flasks with a cork on top, at different temperatures........heheh and observe the production of gas inside them.....something like that anyway...up ta shit

~amy~

I did that, but i said that you needed to identify the gas beforehand, so you could use an appropriate method of testing for its presence and gave the example of carbon dioxide - would use calcium carbonate.

Not sure if this is wat they wanted tho

definingemo

bonnells bay....but i say i live in newcastle
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
I tested temperature

yeah i did nearly exaxtly the same method...and had the same dilemma of measuring gas...so i said to use a data logger with a specific probe to measure the concentration of the gas within the sealed test tubes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Didn't it say to test them in one set of conditions?
EDIT: Wow! Ambiguous question of the century!:mad:

Last edited:

~amy~

withoutaface said:
Didn't it say to test them in one set of conditions?
EDIT: Yes it did
what are you implying? did we do something wrong?

GromReaper

HSC
Let's see...for my hypothesis, I wrote that the enzymes work best in the temperatures at which the bacteria was found, and designed an experiment with the bacteria working with the substrate at 10 degrees, 20, 30, etc...all the way to 90, and said to measure the amount of gas produced at each stage.

I thought it was a pretty decent attempt, considering my mind was a total blank for 5 minutes after reading the question. ....OH CRAP, I FORGOT A CONTROL!!!

[Edit: 90, not 50 you idiot.]

S

Shuter

definingemo said:
yeah i did nearly exaxtly the same method...and had the same dilemma of measuring gas...so i said to use a data logger with a specific probe to measure the concentration of the gas within the sealed test tubes.
Wait, didn't it say you can only measure it in ONE of the environments. I thought this meant that you had to have it at a pH of 7 and a temperature of between 50-55 degrees in order for you to effectively test both in the one environment.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nah I was just confused by the wording of the question. It said test one of these conditions. By that I thought it meant test the conditions that the Earth bacteria were found in or the conditions the Space bacteria were found in. What acmilan did makes more sense.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It says actions of TWO of these enzymes under ONE of these conditions. I'm thinking they'll have to mark both ways right because it's their own fault for having such a crappily worded question.

=j=e=s=s=

HSC
i didn't like that question at all, it was really wierd and i had no idea what to do, i mentioned having controls and stuff so hopefully a couple of marks..........

S

Shuter

Crap I think I forgot my controls! I was too busy struggling with how gay the question was worded.

Originally I'd crossed out and rewritten so many different things it just slipped my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)