• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Esters (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

Okay, i'm really confused

are esters polar or non-polar
because one person says that its polar and the other says that it isn't??
is it cos the C=O bond is surrounded by the non-polar hydrocarbon bonds that neutralises its effect making it non-polar. is that right

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
randhi said:
Okay, i'm really confused

are esters polar or non-polar
because one person says that its polar and the other says that it isn't??
is it cos the C=O bond is surrounded by the non-polar hydrocarbon bonds that neutralises its effect making it non-polar. is that right
Esters are polar because of the C=O and C-O bonds, but they are only dipole-dipole and thus not as strong as hydrogen bonds. p170 of conquering chem if you need more.

tennille

HSC
They differ to alkanoic acids and alkanols which can form hydrogen bonding with water, etc. Esters form dipole dipole bonds which are weaker. This results in a lower boiling pt. to the corresponding alkanols and alkanoic acids which form the ester. So yeah, they are polar. Alkanes and alkenes are non- polar.

tennille

HSC
I know ethanol is like that- both non- polar and polar. The alkyl chain is non- polar whilst hte hydroxy end is polar making it a suitable solvent.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ester does not have a dipole...

yes, there is a tendency for electrons to be drawn to the middle of the molecule, but that only leaves ester postively charged on both ends... so the ester molecule will really look liek this:

+ - +

since the ends do not have opposite charges, there will be minimal dipole interactions...

tennille

HSC
The point is that it is polar. I don't think we need to know it in too much depth.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not in any significant capacity.

Really its only as polar (well not really but you get the idea) as C-C=C-C is.

sHin

While on the topic of esters..

I remember seeing a trial question like this:
A solution mixture of ester, alkanol, alkanoic acid and water is in a container. What are the layers?

How does an ester's density compare to alkanols and alkanoic acids?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
sHin said:
While on the topic of esters..

I remember seeing a trial question like this:
A solution mixture of ester, alkanol, alkanoic acid and water is in a container. What are the layers?

How does an ester's density compare to alkanols and alkanoic acids?
my guess is that the alkanol would be soluble in water, esp. if it was a small hydrocarbon one, and the acid might go either way, depending on how big the carbon chain was, and then the ester will be by itself or with the acid. that's only a guess though.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
acid will go either way dependin on size of alkonaic acid/acidity of the soln...
alkanol again depend on size of molecule and if a strong base is present.
ester probably won't

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
esters will be in the insoluble layer, wont they? i read somewhere theat they are insoluble in water.

there will be a clear (h20) layer and a yellow organic layer where the ester will be (in the liebig condenser)

R

randhi

Yeh, they are. the ester is on the layer above the water. okay so a ester is polar but then doesn't that mean it would soluble in water. or would u for this instance say that it is non-polar to justify why it is doesn't dissolve in water

tennille

HSC
In Conquering chemistry, it says it's polar- im just going by that. Or maybe the textbook stuffed up on that as well as hte eutrophication stuff...

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
tennille said:
The point is that it is polar. I don't think we need to know it in too much depth.

Although all you need to know is wether an ester is polar or not, it is still a good idea to know why etc. in case they ask you a similar question. It never hurts to have a sound learning of things esp in chem.

McBean88

HSC
hmm...i was thinking...maybe the polarity of an ester depends on the location of the C=O bond in the molecule. so if it appears in the middle of the ester it would be polar, as demonstrated by xiao1985. but if it wasn't than it would be polar. the occurrence of this type of ester is much more common so thats probably why textbooks generally say its polar...
and maybe it isn't very soluable in water because of the C=O bond. even though the ester is polar, the water molecules may not be "strong" enough to break this bond...

don't take my word for it though...just thoughts...=/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)