Etymological Mythology :) (1 Viewer)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
If you have ever been sitting in Advanced English class, thinking to yourself, "English is such a f@#%$#@ bastard...", then you'd be right. The language we today call "English" does not have a "pure" word bank, and can be considered one of the most uneconomical and imperfect languages around . Indeed, English is quite a "loose" language, having had liasons with Greek, Latin, French and Sanskrit, to name but a few of its one night stands or more permanent linguistic lovers. ;). Due to its promiscuity, English is a melange of linguistic love-children; it has so many that a proto-lexis is either irretrievable or abtrusely capitulated within the apocryphal pages of etymological mythology. :confused:

In "Politics and the English Language", Orwell says that we should chuck out all our fancy French (or otherwise foreign) words and stick with the basics. Even though I don't wholly agree with Orwell, I do believe that we should say precisely what we mean. In the words of Einstein, "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler".

So, who knows what our modern words used to mean and where they came from? Or would anyone like to speculate about where our language is going? Who would like to start a debate about whether language is a utility, or an artform?

I'm all ears. :)

Last edited:

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
Hmm, your extensive vocabulary scares me sometimes Marcus :p

Well to get started (I'm supposed to be studying right now, so this will be quick)

Language itself is utilised on two apparent levels: as a basic, 'topsoil' every day means of communication, and then on a deeper level those basics are then manipulated into artistic form by gifted people such as those who frequent this forum ;)

I know of many languages which feature inclusions in English, an example of this (and pet hate of mine) is 'friand' - being french. I work in a cafe, and customers ask for a "FREE-AND" instead of "FRI-ON" which is how is supposed to be pronounced. The ignorance of the majority of customers sometimes amuses me; at other times it drives me insane.

I've got no idea where English is going, yet I feel that perhaps it will someday become a universal language (as it is rapidly becoming) as a result of American infiltration amongst localised communities in foreign countries. As a result, I believe that the American dollar will also become univerally recognised (and this pisses me off big time)

Ok, I've got no idea if I've added to or detracted from what Marcus said. But yeah, im tired, cranky, and haven't studied for my final HSC exam tomoro. So, meh :)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
goldendawn said:
...this schools views language through two manifestations: an everyday form, and an artistic form! It is polarised against the naturalist view, and aims to distinguish literature from vernacular.
The aim of the Russian Formalists is, perhaps a little different from what you meant. That school aims to distinguish literature from everyday language, by making it 'weird'. Using unusual syntax, metaphors and fruity expressions, etc, whilst at the same time maintaining clarity.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Marcus my darling, too much exposure to Alan has even got YOU with sex on the brain. Partially, anyway, for a partial portion of your opening post. But moving on.

Language to me also hits on two levels - firstly, for basic communication - "Hand me the pink nail polish dammit, I said PINK!!!" and secondly, used stylistically as an art form, to create something unique that can be recognised either of location or culture (eg the weird language "from da hood, yo!")

There are various "isms" that... oh dear... brace yourself...are influenced by one's culture and values which "colour" a language with particular mannerisms, accent etc that help one to define one from another, eg Ausse vs America.

I do hope that no-one starts debating about whether it is utility or art form, because in my mind it is so obviously both, but uh-oh, I've just given grounds for debate. En Avant!

Language has changed so much. If one was to step back in time 500 years, we could be in so much trouble. Did everyone speak like Shakespeare? I hope not. I'd need an unpicker to undo the knot in my tongue. Where it is going to go - I have no idea. Wherever America's headed, that's for sure.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
But Shakespeare didn't even speak like Shakespeare. He wrote in an even older style than the Elizabethans were used to. Nonetheless, Shakespeare came up with a whole lot of neologisms (new words), and it is thanks to Shakespeare that we have quite a few words nowadays.

J

jhakka

I keep what I say and what I write as simple as possible, though I tend to make it a bit classier than most people. I figure, I have the vocabulary and I will use it, however I will not overuse it to the point of being unecessary or irrelevant.

horace walpole

HSC
it is true thatour language has derived from many other, and if you go back far enough you will probably learn that [speculation] humans once all spoke with the same grunting, and snorting vocabulary. When you take this and examine a minority of the human race, you will find that most teenage boys still use this same vocabulary.

Sorry, if I insulted anyone, it was wrong of me to assume that people that study extension english have a large vocabulary, I should have examined my own class before commenting.

So as lamely as I can possibly pronounce, "Up with big vocabs! And down to our crappy language. Cape Deim baby"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think that language can be both a tool and an art.

If you are interested in such things, i think there are a few history publications/lectures out during next year maybe (not sure i think i saw a few hebrew roots lectures this year at uni) and its quite interesting.

To be honest, yes english is a hotchpotch of various others things, its been well known that it isnt exactly 'perfect' quite contrary. But we do what we can :)

HSC
N/A
And waffle the rest of the time to make it look like we know what we're takling about :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)