european winter (1 Viewer)

aliasfan

HSC
me and some friends are thinking of doing a trip to europe in january 08, early feb.. it is cheaper cos its winter, but is it really worth it?? like will it be too cold and ruin the experience?

James747

HSC
Nothing can ruin you experience if you go with people you like and can have fun with.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
James747 said:
Nothing can ruin you experience if you go with people you like and can have fun with.
Agreed.

Also, northern winters are pretty awesome, with Europe's ski fields being some of the best in the world. Depending how you're planning to do it, backpack whatever, just remember that you will need a lot (A LOT) of layers although you'll probably end up wearing most of your stuff.

Skeeta

HSC
oh, you will probably freeze your nipples off, but its up to you whether your nipples are worth the extra few thousand dollars it will cost to you to go in the summertime.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
aliasfan said:
thanks guys... its a contiki tour we are thinking of doing ... this one actually : http://au.contiki.com/tours/163-winter-wanderer

i just dont wanna spend 7 grand, get there and freeze my nipples off.!
Fair call, but so you want to spend 7 grand (more like ten...) drinking your way around Europe with a busload of bogans?

Consider carefully where YOU want to go, and then go THERE.
Go the places that have some relevance to you personally.

armpit222

HSC
I guess winter is a different experience to summer. Europe is beautiful during winter, with all the snow on the trees. And the cold you get used to.. just wear lots of layers, or have a really thick jacket and two layers of pants, thats should be alright to about -20.

aliasfan

HSC
Timbo650 said:
Fair call, but so you want to spend 7 grand (more like ten...) drinking your way around Europe with a busload of bogans?

Consider carefully where YOU want to go, and then go THERE.
Go the places that have some relevance to you personally.
is contiki really a big beer fest? i thought it was just a cheap way to travel... im not going to europe to do something i could do in the privacy of my own country.. i want to see the culture, the people and experience the experience...

Anyone else suggest tours to europe??

Borbor

HSC
Are you planning to go as backpackers on a budget? Or go as tourists with decent hotels and stuff?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
european winter is the best. we live in australia. experience something different.

aliasfan

HSC
Borbor said:
Are you planning to go as backpackers on a budget? Or go as tourists with decent hotels and stuff?
Well while we want to go cheap, we dont wanna sleep in the hostel from the movie Hostel! Primarily we are aiming to use contiki for its travel and accomodation. We are going more to see europe than to get pissed everynight... You dont spend 10g to go and do something you can do in Australia. Is there any other tour companies out there??

gracie007

HSC
my family and i went to france, italy and london during their winter too. it wasnt too bad...because we are from australia obviously it takes a bit of getting used to, but u get over it. as long as you have a lot of heavy warm clothing u should be okay. some days it is nice and sunny anyway. i would still go, just really make sure ur prepared in terms of clothing. and sort out what would happen if you got sick, etc.
actually to be more specific, ive got a picture of me infront of the eiffel tower on xmas day, and all i was wearing was a fairly thin jacket (like a hoodie we would wear here) and a pair of really thin one teaspoon jeans. and i was fine with that. just coz its winter doesnt mean its gonna be freezing everyday! you'll love it im sure.

Skeeta

HSC
aliasfan said:
Well while we want to go cheap, we dont wanna sleep in the hostel from the movie Hostel! Primarily we are aiming to use contiki for its travel and accomodation. We are going more to see europe than to get pissed everynight... You dont spend 10g to go and do something you can do in Australia. Is there any other tour companies out there??
Trafalgar tours are very similar to contiki but they cater to an older age group. I dont think there are any restrictions on age, but check them out.

candybink

HSC
I found that travelling to europe in winter isn't cheaper because of christmas being such a huge thing over there.
What is cheap is if u can get a friend or relative to buy tickets in europe, im not sure why, but if ur european they give u a better deal, my gran bougt my tickets for me and i flew a bit cheaper.

*Minka*

HSC
It will be colder than you are accustomed to, but it will be very beautiful and a great experience if you are like many Australians and have never seen snow before. You will be cold, but you will also probably have a really amazing time and it is part of the expereience.

*Minka*

HSC
candybink said:
I found that travelling to europe in winter isn't cheaper because of christmas being such a huge thing over there.
What is cheap is if u can get a friend or relative to buy tickets in europe, im not sure why, but if ur european they give u a better deal, my gran bougt my tickets for me and i flew a bit cheaper.
That can be very true. I have gotten better deals with some things by whipping out my Croatian passport.

Peartie

HSC
I went on Contiki - it is a beer fest but u see all get all the culture and stuff as well, granted i went in summer - it wasnt to bad....I went reavelling around some places in winter (i was in england for the year) and alot of places/attractions close during winter so be prepared for that as well...but go 2 europe....its awesome any time of the year!!!

Also about the tickets - if u r going 2 do independant travel its cheaper to buy tickets (like train and plane - plane is sometimes alot cheaper) before u go....the earlier u book the cheaper it is

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
Well depending on where you are European Winter can be fucking cold! I arrived in Finland in the middle of winter. The day after it started snowing in Helsinki and the coldest temperature I felt was -30'c. If you come as far north as Scandinavia be prepared for really cold weather. Don't plan on being outside too much and also consider that depending on where you are there will probably be less touristy stuff open than there would be in Summer or even spring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)