Expectations (1 Viewer)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
As the class of 2006 hands over the baton to the class of 2007 the questions stands what are your opinions on expectations. The majority of schools as evident in other threads have expectations that are set for each year and are increase as each year matches and out preforms them. Students and parents also have their own expectations and goals for their HSC and UAI result.

So what are your thoughts and feeling on expectations? Are they justified? Do they help to motivate you? Or are they just an added burden.

G

gaoOO

pritnep said:

So what are your thoughts and feeling on expectations? Are they justified? Do they help to motivate you? Or are they just an added burden.
some expectations i think add pressure, but for me personally, they help motivated me to do things :p

forevaunited

HSC
With no expectations im destined not to be dissapointed.

But really, obviously i would like to do as well as i can, and to do that ill be putting in the effort (yeah it sounds good now but wait until i actually do put in the effort lol). To be honest though i hadn't really thought about the HSC at all until about year 10. It was good though because i had set a vague target of a UAI something above 80 or so but on telling this to a few mates they said that most ppl at our school (selective) get above ~ 94. So yeah i was cheering at that lol.

So yep ive probably set the target at above 93 and then 'extra' personal goals of a bit higher which i would be estatic with. Parents have no clue about HSC so absolutely no pressure there lol its good 99% of the time but does get a tad frustrating sometimes . .

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Bump! I don't think this thread got the attension it deserved and let's just expand the question. What pressures and goals have your parents place on you for your HSC and UAI? Do these pressures\expectations effect how you take each mark knowing that it could either put you closer to success or further away. Or do you (like me) have (had) no expectations but to try your best i.e. no set uai by parents etc?

Since there are currently a lot of active 07ers. I know it's hard but try to stay on top and with spam to the minimum.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
its kinda ironic in my case, becoz the stereotype for my background holds that parents hold high expectations

but mine dont...actually i think they're expecting something a lot lower than my own expectations :p

but if anything...i think i'm the only one who has expectations of me :) and i think that does make a diff, coz then each mark - i'm doin it for me...
not because i'm being pressured... makes things less stressful me thinks :eek:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
*nods* My parents placed no expectations or pressures on me during HSC.

So like you every mark I achieved was for me. I of course set my own goal that I wanted to achieve which I did by a longshoot and with a lot less stress and pressure compared to others.

IceOnFire

HSC
-pari- said:
but mine dont...actually i think they're expecting something a lot lower than my own expectations :p
Yeah it's the same for me. My parents are not the typical "Asian parents", so it's all good.

Sometimes I do wish that they would bribe me though, that would be a really good incentive to do good.

Blah.. like that's ever going to happen. :rolleyes:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Sometimes I do wish that they would bribe me though, that would be a really good incentive to do good.

Blah.. like that's ever going to happen
;) tell me about it

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
IceOnFire said:
Yeah it's the same for me. My parents are not the typical "Asian parents", so it's all good.

Blah.. like that's ever going to happen. :rolleyes:
omG im totally in the same position just insert pakistani to get to the specific part of Asia lolz...

kloudsurfer

HSC
I wish my parents would bribe me! One of my friends got an iPod for coming in the top 3 in one subject last year. I should have like 5 ipods!

Anyway, my parents have realistic expectations of me. They dont really pressure me, but that probably because they know that I pressure myself lol. I have pretty high expectations of myself, so that is a source of motavation for me.

Its not my parents who have high expectations of me, its my school! I go to a public school where theres only ever one person who gets over 95. And this year, everyones all the teachers and everyone else in my year is expecting it to be me :(

But yeah, it doesnt really bother me, it keeps me motavated, but it does get annoying sometimes when you do something as little as not hand in your homework and the teacher gives you the 'Im disapointed in you' face for the whole week. Or when you come 9th (OMG 9th not 1st!!!!!!!!) in an assesment and everyone makes a big deal out of it (I suck at maths anyway...why does no one believe me even when I get crap marks?!?!?)...Or when someone beats you in something and they are like 'OMG I beat KAREN!!!!!!!'...It just pisses me off...alot...

Ok im done ranting. But it just really annoys me sometimes, and apparently you guys know what its like when people have ridiculously high expectations of you (like coming 1st in every single assessment) . But most of the time they keep me motivated.

I think :S....i dunno...

kimberlin

HSC
for me, theres not really parent's expectations - just my own desire to achieve my dream . yerh , i think its pretty motivating because its always good to have a goal to work and chip your way towards .

speaking of motivation -
i saw this really cute sign of this animated guy using the bathroom ; and the caption - it doesn't matter how slow you go - as long as you don't stop =]

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Its not my parents who have high expectations of me, its my school! I go to a public school where theres only ever one person who gets over 95. And this year, everyones all the teachers and everyone else in my year is expecting it to be me :(

But yeah, it doesnt really bother me, it keeps me motavated, but it does get annoying sometimes when you do something as little as not hand in your homework and the teacher gives you the 'Im disapointed in you' face for the whole week. Or when you come 9th (OMG 9th not 1st!!!!!!!!) in an assesment and everyone makes a big deal out of it (I suck at maths anyway...why does no one believe me even when I get crap marks?!?!?)...Or when someone beats you in something and they are like 'OMG I beat KAREN!!!!!!!'...It just pisses me off...alot...

Ok im done ranting. But it just really annoys me sometimes, and apparently you guys know what its like when people have ridiculously high expectations of you (like coming 1st in every single assessment) . But most of the time they keep me motivated.
I can totally empathise with your situation (ALL of it!!) Whenever you get a test back, people will scream across the room just to see what you got, so they can compare it to your mark. (from all four corners of the room, seriously). Then if they beat you they're like "OMG, I beat "such and such," do a little dance and smugly grin at you.

Normally I congratulate people when they get good marks and cheer them on, but other people when you come first (or beat them by like 2 marks) are like 'meh, I didn't try/study. They just downgrade your efforts and if you don't tell them your marks (good or bad) they just keep harassing you. I don't mind telling people my marks its just they way they go about it once they know, it totally aggravates me and they don't understand.

The school: all the teachers coming up to me at the UAI luncheon thing: "that'll be you next year," referring to me, who's referring to the success of our dux (as in I'm talking about and congratulating our dux). That and when they randomly drop hints of what they're expecting of you eg lining up at the canteen line (slight grrrrrH).

Maximum pressure and high expectations or what!! I hope I get motivated by it though.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Hah, my parents care about my future etc. But they certainly don't push me, nor interfere with any decisions that I've made. So I get little expectations from them, which relieves a lot of pressure and stress. I just have individual expectations which motivates me.

IceOnFire

HSC
dr baby beanie said:
I can totally empathise with your situation (ALL of it!!) Whenever you get a test back, people will scream across the room just to see what you got, so they can compare it to your mark. (from all four corners of the room, seriously). Then if they beat you they're like "OMG, I beat "such and such," do a little dance and smugly grin at you.

Normally I congratulate people when they get good marks and cheer them on, but other people when you come first (or beat them by like 2 marks) are like 'meh, I didn't try/study. They just downgrade your efforts and if you don't tell them your marks (good or bad) they just keep harassing you. I don't mind telling people my marks its just they way they go about it once they know, it totally aggravates me and they don't understand.
Hahaha true to that!!

When I get good marks I ususally TRY and be modest, while at the same time with a huge grin on my face.

When I get shit marks usually I am just totally silent with no expressions on my face. Then I will probably continue to sulk for the rest of the day and will get over it by tomorrow.

Aaahhh, my mood swings. :)

w00dy.

HSC
my parents tell me they dont have any expectations in regards to what marks i should be getting and things like that, but if i bring home an assessment task with a mark attached of something like 97 or 98% they will tell me thats not good enough sort of thing.

so i guess in some weird way my parents do have expectations of me, they just dont tell me what they are.

i have expectations that i set upon myself, i guess in a way that not only adds to the pressure but it also fuels a motivation. which can be a good and bad thing. i guess it depends on what way you look at it.

jest

HSC
i guess its different for everyone but for me personally, expectations don't give me much motivation cause there's always that feeling that you're not gonna make it and it only adds to more pressure so i just kinda do what i can and go with it.

though pressure does help to give motivation

Sofstar

HSC
^^ laidback but smart.

My parents are pretty much expecting a UAI 90+. My mum thinks that i'm not freaking out enough, that was weird when she said that. This morning i just woke up and she started talking to me about how i should be working harder....I don't think it's just me who doesn't like serious subjects in the morning. Reverse psycology doesnt work on me! It just wants me to give up and makes me feel bad. School wise, they are pretty encouraging.
If my parents have given me an incentive to do well...hehehe i've forgotten.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)