HSC
HSC CHEMISTRY

Task|Weighting|My Result|Rank
1 | 15% | 97% | 1st
2 | 20% | 87% | 1st
3 | 15% | 95% | 1st
4 | 15% | 100% | 1st
5 | 35% | 92% | 1st

So overall I ranked first in the subject obviously and I'm curious as to how I ended up with assessment mark 84/100?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe the top exam mark was only 84.

danjw

HSC
Wait so can your assessment mark only be as high as the top exam mark?

D94

HSC
N/A
Wait so can your assessment mark only be as high as the top exam mark?
No, not always. In your case, it appears the highest exam mark was 84 meaning your assessment will be 84 and your exam mark will be 84 or less because you are ranked first.

danjw

HSC
Man that fucking sucks, all those marks all year and I fuck up one test and get smashed.
Yeah I was the 84 haha.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You did the opposite of me, I fucked up all year. Haha.
Although, I came middle of the pack and got an 83 assessment. So I didn't fuck up as much as you.

danjw

HSC
And don't the gaps between ranks mean absolutely anything?

danjw

HSC
You did the opposite of me, I fucked up all year. Haha.
Although, I came middle of the pack and got an 83 assessment. So I didn't fuck up as much as you.
Yeah oh well I got into my course so I guess that's all that matters, can't wait to get to uni where nobody gives a fuck about ranks and atars haha.

D94

HSC
N/A
And don't the gaps between ranks mean absolutely anything?
Of course they do. It's taken into account in the moderating process; they pin the first ranked person with the highest exam mark for their assessment mark (hence why you got 84), and they pin the lowest ranked person with the lowest exam mark for their assessment mark. Then the deviation from the mean is used to determine the relative gaps between people.

D94

HSC
N/A
Man that fucking sucks, all those marks all year and I fuck up one test and get smashed.
Yeah I was the 84 haha.
This may be true to a certain extent. Your school assessments may have been really easy, hence why you got good marks. Maybe you didn't get "smashed", but rather was challenged because the school assessments were easy. And because your whole cohort got 84 or below, it gives quite some indication that your school has set easy exams and assessments.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
this is mainly to prevent schools that mark tests easy or give really easy tests from having an unfair advantage.

completely fair system tbh

Official

Bring it on
HSC
this is mainly to prevent schools that mark tests easy or give really easy tests from having an unfair advantage.

danjw

HSC
This may be true to a certain extent. Your school assessments may have been really easy, hence why you got good marks. Maybe you didn't get "smashed", but rather was challenged because the school assessments were easy. And because your whole cohort got 84 or below, it gives quite some indication that your school has set easy exams and assessments.
Yeah um dude my cohort got below 84 in like everything I went to a shit school haha, I bombed the test due to stress etc. I know because I've achieved 90+ in practice papers that I've had marked before. But again like I said, I guess it's not really important anymore.

michaeljennings

HSC

+1

For PDHPE my cohort had an average of 95% and 97% for two of the four assessments we did and in the other two most people got more than 85%. However in the HSC the highest external mark was only 93/100

michaeljennings

HSC
^that, or otherwise why pick 4u math
Yeah lol we all thought it would be alright to do a low scaling subject (there were 28 in the cohort) because we were a selective school and we would probably do well at it (arrogant I know) but in the end it was a huge mistake. People say dont pick a subject based on scaling but I know of people who didnt do all that well at 4u but it boosted their ATAR a fair bit. In hindsight I wish I had never done pdhpe or dropped it and focused on physics. I put no effort into physics at all and still got 83 which I was incredibly proud of =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)