Extension 2 English Thoughts: Poetry. (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I am quite sure i would like to do English Extension 2 next year, and be focussing on Poetry.

I'm a real arts nut, and i'm just wondering whether or not anyone had any difficulties with the creative limitations of the course? In my mind, the BOS is almost a professional at suppressing creative freedom. (Music 2 core topics make me groan..alot...)

Do you have to keep referencing to poets who you've been influenced by? And do you need to talk about your structure, and why the poem IS how it IS?

For instance, if i wanted to write my poem in a stream of consciousness-esque way, would that be frowned upon as being less planned. I HATE STRUCTURE.

I think poetry is an expression, so why should we be limited on our expression?

Lots of questions guys, sorry!

Last edited:

frezbo

HSC
hey there, congrats for starting so early. I wish I did!

alex.leon said:
Do you have to keep referencing to poets who you've been influenced by?
Yes, you do need to refer to other poets, but not directly in the poems, if you don't want to. It's more that you've gained inspiration from other writers, or ideas for techniques that you have used. You'd mention them directly in your journal and in your assessments (proposal, viva voce and report) and reflection statement. It's just to make sure you are actually reading and researching the style, and altering your own style as you learn about poetry.

alex.leon said:
And do you need to talk about your structure, and why the poem IS how it IS?
Yes! You'll have to get very used to this! After enduring hours of teachers interrogating me with the question "why did you do this?" I've found everything needs a reason in ext 2. You also have to justify everything you have done in all your assessments and Reflection Statement.

alex.leon said:
For instance, if i wanted to write my poem in a stream of conciousness-esque way, would that be frowned upon as being less planned. I HATE STRUCTURE.
I wouldn't saystream-of-consciousness is less planned. I did a similar thing in mine - I have a stream-of-consciousness text, which is more a sort of 'prose-poem' and runs along parallel to the other poems. I called the Board about it, and they said as long as it can be "justified in terms of the conceptualisation of my Major Work, has developed from research and study of English, and do not radically compromise the ability of markers to recognise my Major Work as Poetry" it should be fine!

So, I wouldnt worry too much about what you do, as long as it's good. Your teacher/s should help you through it all.

alex.leon said:
I'm a real arts nut, and i'm just wondering whether or not anyone had any difficulties with the creative limitations of the course? In my mind, the BOS is almost a professional at suppressing creative freedom.
alex.leon said:
Well you're right of course. Poetry is expression, and the BOS is infamous for being crap.
To be honest, I didn't find the limitations in ext 2 too bad though. They don't really say anything except a world limit. I mostly did whatever I wanted. The problem is that because poetry is so subjective, the marker easily might dislike what you've done. But that's a risk you have to take, with all arts, really. That's why it needs a solid concept behind it all.

Good luck with it all!!

ellexirisxblue

HSC
hey there, im just about to hand in my ext. two on friday, and i did poetry.
theoretically it is fairly free form and you have a considerable amount of freedom, but the limitations are set in order to gain higher marks, as long as you demonstrate an extensive knowledge of poetic concepts and 'accepted' structure, you should be fine.
and you do have to explain why it is formatted like ' whatever' and who your influences are/were, why you changed it and how the process has added to the progression of your works.
but. it is pretty good, i loved it. all my poems are pretty free- formish, and a lot are set out in an 'unconventional' way.
it was a pretty awesome exploration, i would advise taking it.
:) good luck

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
alex.leon said:
I am quite sure i would like to do English Extension 2 next year, and be focussing on Poetry.

I'm a real arts nut, and i'm just wondering whether or not anyone had any difficulties with the creative limitations of the course? In my mind, the BOS is almost a professional at suppressing creative freedom. (Music 2 core topics make me groan..alot...)

Do you have to keep referencing to poets who you've been influenced by? And do you need to talk about your structure, and why the poem IS how it IS?

For instance, if i wanted to write my poem in a stream of conciousness-esque way, would that be frowned upon as being less planned. I HATE STRUCTURE.

Lots, of questions guys, sorry!

I'm not sure you should be doing ext 2 english if you spell 'focusing' with a double ss....

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Mrs-Darcy said:
I'm not sure you should be doing ext 2 english if you spell 'focusing' with a double ss....
It can be spelt either way so don't be so quick to criticise.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC

Charlessunstrum

HSC
Mrs-Darcy said:
Pedantic.

Im doing poetry too. I'm pretty out-there artsy... Regressive poetry is fun.

Whats your idea/concept?

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
I would advise against stream of conscious poetry. If it's done well, that's fine. But it tends to carry a label which will work against you. i.e. The marks will think 'oh here's another stream of conscious poem before they even finish it.

talk to your teacher though.

Mumless

HSC
I think just do whatever will work best for you. I did something unusual by completing a 2500+ word epic poem, and I THINK it turned out well lol..

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Charlessunstrum said:
Pedantic.

Im doing poetry too. I'm pretty out-there artsy... Regressive poetry is fun.

Whats your idea/concept?
The effects of consumerism on society. It isn't exactly solid yet, but it should be fun. I'm really looking forward to the course. :]

Yeah my teacher was like HA! POETRY!
Then he read some of my poetry and changed his mind.

If he likes it hopefully that's a good start.

What's yours?

METALDANCERBRIT

HSC
alex.leon said:

Hey,
I completely agree with u. expression wise. I had no problem my teacher was pretty cool bout my poetry. I wanted to focus on stuf i knew i could write about so i focused on indentity. My poems were pretty controversial but my teacher actully didnt read them till the day of submission. :(

As for suppressing freedom i'll give u sum words of advice. This will happen if u let them win in any creative arts subject. Juz stand strong to your ideas and u wont reget anything. I am prety much queen of creative arts subjects so i am speaking from experience here. oh and of course theres those stupid restrictions/limitations size word things in everything but im sure u should b able 2 express yourself enough to satisfy.

Oh and i know my spellings dodgy and yes i do 4unit. i can spell i am juz strapped 4 time but wuld still like to offer advice. so plz dont bother criticising.

Goodluck

"Life may not always be the party we hoped for but while we are here we should dance!"

• Dance
  • Drama
  • Art
  • Music
  • Gen. Maths
  • 4Unit English

diametric

HSC
Oh Lordy Da.
I felt like doing poetry for the Major Work - but, meh, still deciding, unfortunately.

I think - that a stream of consciousness will def. be looked down upon. A set structure that follows past techniques and styles, with alterations to suit the way you express yourself and what it is you are trying to express, would be best. Because, it really is critical to show that you've really delved in and devoted yourself to that genre.

Stream of consciousness in poetry will definitely not reflect that. At least, not for the whole set. Here and there, to like I said, express yourself, would probably go over best.

Becky444

HSC
Im doing Eng Adv, Eng Ext1, Eng Ext2, Drama, Legal and Society and CUlture.
Im doing my Extension 2 major project on addiction. Addiction at two different ends of the spectrum through the conventional drug, alcohol addictions to power and money then OCD, chocolate, people. Im going to connect them by having biblical proverbs before each page, as im doing a suite of poems.
Im stuck for ideas for a working title. I want it to be creative and innovative. Something new and not done before. Any ideas??? Plus feedback would be great!! Bec:shy:

snowconesyum

HSC
Becky444 said:
Im doing my Extension 2 major project on addiction. Addiction at two different ends of the spectrum through the conventional drug, alcohol addictions to power and money then OCD, chocolate, people. Im going to connect them by having biblical proverbs before each page, as im doing a suite of poems.
Im stuck for ideas for a working title. I want it to be creative and innovative. Something new and not done before. Any ideas??? Plus feedback would be great!! Bec:shy:
that actually sounds awesome!! nice idea!
haha addictions on people, especially when they're bad for you ... that sounds the most promising area.

ok so maybe i'm just saying that cos it's the one i relate to ;) like the one with the most possible depth. although i'm sure you can work all of them in a way that isn't superficial. i'm excited.. i don't know why. must stop caring about ee2!

ok so yes im in a mood to analyse why i can't move away from this one person. annnnyway sorry to bring this up. why am i saying this on an online forum? i don't quite know.

the proverbs thing sounds interesting... i was going to base mine on ecclesiastes and have each section as the verses (forgotten which chapter they're in, ah well) about how everything has its time? you know, there is a time to plant/uproot blahblah.

good luck with it :)

EDIT: oh yeah, and i wouldn't worry about a working title! seriously, that's exactly what it is - a WORKING title. doesn't have to be fancy or creative. altho i know it's always nice just to satisfy yourself by having a cool title :p

Becky444

HSC
snowconesyum said:
that actually sounds awesome!! nice idea!
haha addictions on people, especially when they're bad for you ... that sounds the most promising area.

ok so maybe i'm just saying that cos it's the one i relate to ;) like the one with the most possible depth. although i'm sure you can work all of them in a way that isn't superficial. i'm excited.. i don't know why. must stop caring about ee2!

ok so yes im in a mood to analyse why i can't move away from this one person. annnnyway sorry to bring this up. why am i saying this on an online forum? i don't quite know.

the proverbs thing sounds interesting... i was going to base mine on ecclesiastes and have each section as the verses (forgotten which chapter they're in, ah well) about how everything has its time? you know, there is a time to plant/uproot blahblah.

good luck with it :)

EDIT: oh yeah, and i wouldn't worry about a working title! seriously, that's exactly what it is - a WORKING title. doesn't have to be fancy or creative. altho i know it's always nice just to satisfy yourself by having a cool title :p
Thanks heaps :D:D i actually came up with one Crossing the line. u noe how do u noe that it gets that bad its an addiction etc.. haha u seem really "addicted.. hmm obsessed..or sumthin with sum1" kudos to u ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)