• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

Failing year 11 to doing okay in year 12? (1 Viewer)

c8

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm not doing too great in year 11. I'm failing maybe half of my subjects and the other half I've just barely scraped through. I have a lot of determination but just zero motivation. I know I'm capable of doing better but I just would like to know if anyones gone or going through something similar. Do you know anyone or have you gone from doing pretty bad in year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Thank you!

_Anonymous

HSC
You'll be fine. Motivation sorta picks up when you're in Year 12 cause you know everything counts. Just make sure you know your fundamentals from Y11 cause you may need some knowledge from Y11 to do well in Y12.

pikachu975

I love trials
HSC
Hi guys,

I'm not doing too great in year 11. I'm failing maybe half of my subjects and the other half I've just barely scraped through. I have a lot of determination but just zero motivation. I know I'm capable of doing better but I just would like to know if anyones gone or going through something similar. Do you know anyone or have you gone from doing pretty bad in year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Thank you!
Well I didn't do badly in year 11 but I did improve from year 11 to year 12, because in year 11 I was first in 2U maths only, like 6th in physics, 2nd or 3rd in biology (at year 11 half yearly I was like 16th physics 5th biology) but then in year 12 I was first in 3u 4u maths, biology, and physics. I think my most key tip is to focus on WHY you did bad in year 12 and implement new strategies for year 12. For biology/physics I just didn't study enough so I just studied more for those. For maths I looked at what worked which was understanding the content first so I could easily solve harder problems, so then 3u and 4u were easier. For english memorising essays worked but when I got to year 12 I started doing badly, but after doing badly my feedback was to implement the question more in my essay, so I memorised quotes instead and improved greatly. In 4u maths I got like 78 in my last trial and knew my problem was not being able to solve the hard questions, so I tried to look at past paper answers and think WHY they used that method and what strategies I could use to solve it next time, not just "oh yeah I get it" and move on.

So yep my biggest tip is always keep improving on mistakes and reflecting on your feedback and you should improve :)

EDIT: Also work with your peers, even though I was doing really good in biology I still asked the most questions in biology group chat so NEVER be afraid to ask questions since it doesn't just help you, it helps others by testing their knowledge.

ChrisMueller

HSC
This is definitely possible. Use your holidays to catch up on your work if need be.

franktheman

HSC
You can improve. As long as you understand the basics, yr 12 should be easier.
Just a tip, use the december-january holidays to your advantage, it's a very good time to catch up on work you've missed.
If you want to improve (for essay writing subjects) send teachers as many drafts as possible, even though they're crap.

I'll give a personal anecdote:

I'm currently in year 12, but i was part of an accelerant program last year for 2u and 3u maths when i was still in yr 11. Halfway through year 11, and I was still in bludge mode. I kept telling myself that my attitude would improve later, and that I was doing fine. Then trials came around, and everything that I learnt in 2u and 3u math for the past 2 years would be tested. So as usual, I tell myself that everything's fine.
2 weeks later, trial results come out. I find out I did average in the 2u task (i used to be in top 15) and almost came last in the 3u task with a solid 29/70. That was when I realised, something had to change. I knew the basics, I just didn't practice enough. (Emphasis on knowing basics. Once you know basics, you need to keep developing them by constantly working on them).
So I changed. Worked constantly on my weaknesses in math.
And it worked, from failing my 3u trials completely, I managed to salvage a hsc mark of 40/50 in 3u math (2u mark was 91/100 :biggrin:.) I'm doing 3u again, because I know I can do even better.

It's never too late. It's all about knowing the basics, everything else will come with time and practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)