failure (1 Viewer)

forget

HSC
could someone please explain to me what happens if you fail a unit, or multiple units?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If you fail a unit, you have to redo the unit again, either next semester or next year. This will require you to do 5 subjects in one semester.

However, if you fail half your subjects, you have to see someone about it and they will consider whether or not you should be at uni at all, or they might change you to part time so you can cope with the work.

Btw, a fail will considerably effect your GPA.

klh

HSC
if you fail half your units that you take, they put you on conditional enrolment ~ i.e. PT automatically, than you have to go to your coordinater and talk about the subjects to take.
My friend failed 4/8 subjects last year, this sem he is only doing 1 because he failed the other 3 in spring last year, it was really sad for him.
There are counsellors to talk to about whether to do uni or go work/tafe. My friend has this ideal that its uni or nothing so i couldnt convince him to at least try tafe before uni, make the thing easier. Plus he dont know what to do with his life....poor bugger
But once again, its not the end of the world if you get fails...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
What happens if you fail a free elective. Can you choose another elective instead of doing the same one again?

(Not that I'm going to fail any of my electives, its just a general question :p)

klh

HSC
yes you can pick another elective, but you still have to pay fees for that unit (HECS) but i dunno if if counts to your gpa. i think it does.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
so if i fail 2 units on the term of being lazy and not doing my work, i have 2 do pt??? thast crap, when canu pick up ft again???

klh

HSC
you pick up FT after you can show to the coordinater that you can complete units succesfully (i.e. pass) of the units you had to redo. is it clear? i think my sentence is clear i hope.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If your being lazy and not doing your work, you shouldn't be at uni :p

But generally, you do your work to the basic standard you pass.

I guess its up to the course co-ordinator when you can go back to full time. I guess you do a semester of part time, and then they review your case.

Chang

HSC
hey if u fail and elective do u have to redo it? coz i fink i might fail one of my electives. i thought u only had to repeat the subject if it was a core unit

klh

HSC
it depends on th eelevtive, is it for a major, if yes then to complete the majot its required, but i think oyu dont neeed to redo it if its a free elective, but it will stay on your trasncript no matter what so thats what lead me to be confused aobut it counting into your gpa ( i dont konw).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why do we have a thread on failure anyway? Its depressing me! Now I think that I'm going to fail my earth sciences exam on thursday.

And to be perfectly honest, its sometimes pretty hard to fail, but then again, I guess its different for different subjects. Maybe tourism is slightly too bludgy :p The only way you can really fail a tourism subject is not hand in your assignments or plagarise.

klh

HSC
yes..i havent studied and dont want to so i think i dont know...my exams is this tuesday and i haven ttouched a book much...my eyes hurt and i feel like crap..i hope i just pass now, dont give a rats anymore, im throwing in the towel.

damn depressing thread.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If I spent less time watching tv, sleeping and bosing, I actually might get some work done :rolleyes:

But I've studied almost everyday since the last day of uni, I think I'm using so much energy studying for earth sciences that I won't have anything left for health impacts - which I must pass otherwise I fail the subject. Stupid!

klh, don't give up. Wouldn't it be nicer to see a nice big C or D or even a HD instead of a P next to the unit name :D

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
im just nervous myself, only need like 15/40 to pass all my exams, but i feel somewhere i have gone wrong... please if there is a god, he will not make me do sociology again

Jacks

HSC
awww klh I hope you feel better and do well in your exams! I'm sure you will you know you're a smart one! :p

Anyways I agree that it's pretty hard to fail a subject overall...tutors usually try their best to pass you, but that of course has to mean you've at least tried. So long as you attempt all of your assignments and put the effort in you won't fail...to fail you really need to not hand something in or not try at all...even minimal effort should get you a pass at least. Even if your assignments aren't that great you'll usually get at least a pass if you reference correctly and do your best. Of course if you copy and paste slabs of stuff into a word document and hand it in you'll fail...but that's another story.

is it possible to fail a unit by not attending the exam??

a friend of mine came late to his exam, i think it was like 45 minutes or something and they wouldnt let him in, they told him to get a misadventure or something...
i feel sorri for him, he couldnt really talk, he was so shocked

is it easy to get a misadventure for missing an exam? and would he have to re-do it again, like the unit i mean.

L

LaraB

giggles869 said:
is it possible to fail a unit by not attending the exam??

a friend of mine came late to his exam, i think it was like 45 minutes or something and they wouldnt let him in, they told him to get a misadventure or something...
i feel sorri for him, he couldnt really talk, he was so shocked

is it easy to get a misadventure for missing an exam? and would he have to re-do it again, like the unit i mean.
yeah u can fail because if you dont do the exam its counted as a 0 unless you can prove you should get consideration to re-sit it but it isn't easy to get permission...

just being late or whatever or having a cold isn't a good excuse..

keep in mind everyone though - some units have "fails" and "satisfactory copmletion" requirements ie, if you got 48% some units they'll let you pass still...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LaraB said:
keep in mind everyone though - some units have "fails" and "satisfactory copmletion" requirements ie, if you got 48% some units they'll let you pass still...
Conceeded pass. However, your only allowed I think 2 throughout your whole time at uni.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i got a subj u need 45% in the final to pass even u got a high assessment mark and the subj is hard too :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)