Faking critic quotes (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
You probably shouldn't, but how hard is it remembering one extra quote? I assume this is for English, Module B...?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. What the fuck is with these threads about trying to make up/copy/cheat etc etc?
2. You don't need critics in Module B. So if you're going to make things up for something that's not even required according to the syllabus, you're an idiot.
3. Just don't make up stuff. Ever. [Applies to University, and in the work force as well]

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
You probably shouldn't, but how hard is it remembering one extra quote? I assume this is for English, Module B...?
if it is for module B, they are not keen on the whole critic quote thing. you don't get extra quotes for doing so, nor do you get penalised. so if you haven't learnt one, don't bother too much!

D94

HSC
N/A
2. You don't need critics in Module B. So if you're going to make things up for something that's not even required according to the syllabus, you're an idiot.
Why don't you read the syllabus again....
They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts.
The syllabus isn't one to "tell" you what to write in the exam; it tells you what is required in your study, and thus learning critics is indeed one aspect of the Critical Study of Texts component, and therefore can be included in the exam. The second part (bold) almost certainly instructs us to write about critics (underlined), ie. discuss and evaluate. And where else do you "discuss and evaluate" other perspectives, in your study and in the exam.

And I think it's certain when my teacher, being the one of the people who marks Hamlet, tells us to include critics in a "Critical Study", we should include critics.

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you read the syllabus again.... The syllabus isn't one to "tell" you what to write in the exam; it tells you what is required in your study, and thus learning critics is indeed one aspect of the Critical Study of Texts component, and therefore can be included in the exam. The second part almost certainly instructs us to write about critics, ie. discuss and evaluate. And where else do you "discuss and evaluate" other perspectives, in the exam.

And I think it's certain when my teacher, being the one of the people who marks Hamlet, tells us to include critics in a "Critical Study", we should include critics.
my teacher has also marked
also went to a workshop w a teacher who was a senior marker for mod b up until 3 years ago (moved to mod c but obv still frequents the marking centre)

the way mod b is marked has CHANGED in the last couple of years
you USED to need productions/plays/critics whatever but now you can ignore it and just do your own personal response
there were plenty of essays that got 20 last year without a critic or whatever

some teachers will prefer you to use critics obv because that's the way it was taught for years.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
1. What the fuck is with these threads about trying to make up/copy/cheat etc etc?
3. Just don't make up stuff. Ever. [Applies to University, and in the work force as well]
My teacher said it's essential o_O fuck I hate English.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
Aerath, wth neg rep?
This thread was purely for interesting discussion, prompted from overhearing some kids at the library talking about it.
At no point have I said 'I am going to, but is there a reason I shouldn't' so I don't know why people are assuming that since I created this thread i MUST be going to fake critic quotes.

If you wanted to say 'Nay' then say it here. There's no need for neg rep.

michaeljennings

HSC
Aerath, wth neg rep?
This thread was purely for interesting discussion, prompted from overhearing some kids at the library talking about it.
At no point have I said 'I am going to, but is there a reason I shouldn't' so I don't know why people are assuming that since I created this thread i MUST be going to fake critic quotes.

Aerath will reply with "why did you not say this to begin with"

EDIT: Or not hahah =)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Why don't you read the syllabus again.... The syllabus isn't one to "tell" you what to write in the exam; it tells you what is required in your study, and thus learning critics is indeed one aspect of the Critical Study of Texts component, and therefore can be included in the exam. The second part (bold) almost certainly instructs us to write about critics (underlined), ie. discuss and evaluate. And where else do you "discuss and evaluate" other perspectives, in your study and in the exam.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get it, your teacher is awesome, Head Teacher, Head Marker, probably could send him/her to Gaza and they will find peace between Israel and Palestine etc etc etc.

Sorry to tell you, your teacher's wrong. Critics are no longer necessary in a Module B response since the syllabus change. You can include it (I know I did), but it's no longer necessary. It's more how things have been appreciated in TODAY'S context. Critics can help you, if used well. More often than not, it won't help you, because a marker will see it being used badly (or in the wrong context), and will automatically assume that you ripped it off a pre-2009 essay.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aerath, wth neg rep?

Context is everything. But yeah, sorry, my apologies. :(

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah yeah yeah, I get it, your teacher is awesome, Head Teacher, Head Marker, probably could send him/her to Gaza and they will find peace between Israel and Palestine etc etc etc.
Yeah, apparently he's also the real King of England.

Sorry to tell you, your teacher's wrong. Critics are no longer necessary in a Module B response since the syllabus change. You can include it (I know I did), but it's no longer necessary. It's more how things have been appreciated in TODAY'S context. Critics can help you, if used well. More often than not, it won't help you, because a marker will see it being used badly (or in the wrong context), and will automatically assume that you ripped it off a pre-2009 essay.
Well, I didn't disagree with you on the part of necessity; I just said the syllabus does include a line which asks for a study of critics. I quoted directly from the new syllabus, but look, you'd be using a critic anyway, ie. yourself. If you don't even give a perspective (ie. your critical reception), then you may as well not write anything at all.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, apparently he's also the real King of England.

Well, I didn't disagree with you on the part of necessity; I just said the syllabus does include a line which asks for a study of critics. I quoted directly from the new syllabus, but look, you'd be using a critic anyway, ie. yourself. If you don't even give a perspective (ie. your critical reception), then you may as well not write anything at all.
Support doc
"Engagement with others’ perspectives of the text is not an end in itself. Substantial and valid ‘other perspectives’ may include the view of a literary critic, of a fellow student, or of the student’s teacher, for instance."
note may

Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts.
This could just be talking about Shakespeare's context, our own or in general, 'over time', the many film productions etc. that exist/have been made; not necessarily critics.

Anyway on the issue of faking critics quotes... i'll admit it I did in eng ext 1 cos I forgot who said the quote lol so I just attributed a random name to it

It's not advised but unless it sounds ridiculous (and some do) they won't check. And yeah, if it sounds really dodgy they will -> they have comps in the centre which sometimes they use to check things on google

D94

HSC
N/A
Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts.
This could just be talking about Shakespeare's context, our own or in general, 'over time', the many film productions etc. that exist/have been made; not necessarily critics.
That's irrelevant; the relevant bit is "read, received and valued", which means critics or other perspectives. You have also contradicted yourself; a reproduction is also a critical response, ie. another perspective. With Hamlet, Branagh's version is definitely not the same as Zeffirelli's version, which is also not the same as Doran's version (David Tennant version). These are all different perspectives of the same Hamlet composed by Shakespeare; they all differ to the original version.

A literary critic isn't the same as a gaming critic.

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
"The second part (bold) almost certainly instructs us to write about critics (underlined), ie. discuss and evaluate."
That's irrelevant; the relevant bit is "read, received and valued", which means critics or other perspectives. You have also contradicted yourself; a reproduction is also a critical response, ie. another perspective. With Hamlet, Branagh's version is definitely not the same as Zeffirelli's version, which is also not the same as Doran's version (David Tennant version). These are all different perspectives of the same Hamlet composed by Shakespeare; they all differ to the original version.

A literary critic isn't the same as a gaming critic.
how is it irrelevant? it's in the support doc and it was not following 'read, received and valued' or whatever, it was following a section where it talked about how you do not need to focus on critics etc. but if you can you want to, and if you do so you must do so wisely

and no, i am not talking about a specific film production or whatever

I said in general. In my essay I refer in general to the fact that Hamlet has endured "over time", and it's relative "success" or "perpetuating appeal" is an indicator of its universal relevance. This is not discussing or evaluating anything about critics.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, and what I said is from the Syllabus. Now, the BOS can only test you on what is in the Syllabus.

aphorae said:
I said in general. In my essay I refer in general to the fact that Hamlet has endured "over time", and it's relative "success" or "perpetuating appeal" is an indicator of its universal relevance. This is not discussing or evaluating anything about critics.
Again, you've contradicted yourself. You've said it has "relative success". That is a critical response based on a personal critical criteria. What criteria is there to determine its success? Mr Smith down the street has said it has a lot of success; that's his critical response. A critic is anyone who conveys a differing perspective.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
ahh matey, i believe you do need critics. My trial mark was lower because i did not include or rather mention critics. My teacher clearly stated this to me, after marking it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)