Fees uws students can expect?? (1 Viewer)

Datto120

HSC
Hey,
I was just wondering what fees to expect and if any one can give aprrox figures if its possible??? or is that on a course to course basis???

I know of so far

Union fees
text books
uni fees
Then the $500 up front for hecs if you choose to pay it??

Thanks in advance

klh

HSC
pretty much, but some courses have some spcific fees e.g. science needs lab coats etc...
with uni fees nad union fees, under vsu you can elect not ot pay but if oyu od you ge tdiscounts and rewards etc. prob those showbags are not free anymore lol./
last year they were abut 182 per semester for FT, PT is about half of this...but it may change due ot vsu sol it may be mroe or less..
check the assoc. here: http://www.uwssa.org.au/ also has info on o-day ofr ne wstudents
and uwsconnect, retail/bars/events/short-leisure courses: http://www.uwsconnect.com.au/home/

books can cost a fortune...average per semester for business is about $500 and above, depending if you need more books. most books cost about 100 or so, osme less and if you get the readers [course notes], they are cheap at abot 25-35 bucks, but depends on your course. if you want to ge tnew, the co-op shop is hte mai nbookshop nad htey have a membership thingo, 10% off all texts excluding readers and thos emarked nett etc. for around 25 or 30 bucks to join, so you save a bit and recoup the cost is the semester. since your first year, its rare to have readers, so its going ot ocst you a bit.
textbookexchange.com.au is a good place to buy secondhand but make sure the book are the right ones, right year, title etc.

L

LaraB

Datto120 said:
Hey,
I was just wondering what fees to expect and if any one can give aprrox figures if its possible??? or is that on a course to course basis???

I know of so far

Union fees
text books
uni fees
Then the $500 up front for hecs if you choose to pay it??

Thanks in advance
In addition to what KLH said:

of course it's different for different courses :)

i'm assuming you know about the HECs levels... yep there's a minimum of $500 if you want to pay upfront but you can pay more - the more you pay, the more significant the "discount"... or you could just not pay any and wait til you're working after you graduate.

As KLH said, Union fees used to be $182 per semester for full time, on campus students... but due to VSU, technically you will have none... if you choose to pay them however the amount is unknown at the moment... you'd probably get info about that on orientation day or durig o-week :) so you're lucky than the rest of us who'll have to wait to find out some other way

textbooks greatly vary from one course to another, even unit to unit...

I probablyy notice it more since i'm doing a combined degree and the law half is significantlyl more expensive, so i'm not sure about other degrees, but between law and the other degrees combined with law there's a significant difference... usually, my law textbooks per unit are $200+... but the business ones are usually somewhere around $80... or $40 if they've got a reader instead of a textbook...

Oh and also for textbooks - have a look at lawbooks.com.au - it's not just law books - it has a lot of soc science ones, business ones etc as well - most books are usually 10% cheaper than co-op... Oh and speaking of co-op bookshop - pay the membership fee! :) it's i thikn $20 or $25 one off and you get 10% off books and products from co-op for life so as KLH said- well worth while...:)

Far as not having readers coz you're first semester - that's not the case... I had multiple readers during my first semester.. for those who aren't aware what readers are - basically they're compilatiosn or articles or otehr photocopied/printed materials, usually range from $15-$50 depending on how chunky they are and what's in them...

You may have textbooks, you may have readers, you may have online materials, you may have cd-roms or interactive stuff, you may have none!, or you may have a combination of them.

A lot of the business school, for example, are favouring readers and customised publications (books published especially for that unit at UWS that compile chapters from several books, aimed at saving you money :)) instead of textbooks, or as well as them so not everything you'll do will necessarily involve a mind numbingly boring, enormous, expensive textbook :)

If you're going to drive - make sure you get a parking permit ($49.50 for the standard one - lasts til dec 31 of the year you buy it) because otherwise it's $4 per day... You can get reserved ones for $100 and something and $300 and something to guarantee you a space, but to be honest it's not wortyh the money coz parking's only really a bitch for the first few weeks when everyone actually turns up to classes lol - ppl get lazy later into semester...

Also, if you're budgeting, make sure you take into account photocopying fees, overdue library book fees if you're one of those people who always forget them :), transport/petrol, lunch, all that kind of thing because i reckon all those added together were more than teh otehr stuff per semester for me :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)