fibre optic experiment (1 Viewer)

Old_Sk3wl

HSC
hey all :) has this question in our trial exam:

"describe an investigation that you carried out to observe the transfer of light by optical fibres"

and we havent carried out this experiment :( can anyone give me an example answer?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmmm.... it would be shite. I'll throw up a random experiment, but I haven't done med physics, only optical fibre tech. you'll need to edit it as see fit, this one is prob. not going to give much marks as is.

equipment:
A dark room.
bright light bulb.
optical fibre.
large book.
paper.

Shut out all light from said room, except for the light bulb. Point one end of fibre at it and keep it close to the bulb. Shield the other end from the light, along with a piece of paper, with the large book. Now point the other end at the piece of paper, again small separation. Observe, you should see a glowing dot on the paper, and on the end of the fiber.

/if not, look at the end. Light should come out of the end of the fibre. The bulb end must point directly at the filament. also straighten out the fibre as much as possible.

If the brightness is good, bending the fibre carefully (don't go past the curvature of your little finger) will also let you see light leaking out of the fibre. Note can break fibre this way.

Now you know that light does travel along the fibre and go out the other end.

Technical qs - post again here.

Note: as future reference you should try to include related dot points/information so that we mods (who haven't done this in years) have an idea exactly what you are looking for and should get. I assume you all have a copy of your dot points and are finalising summaries :D.

Last edited:

ontherun

HSC
black jack ur explantaion is pretty much right

umm. i think our teacher explained it 2 us, ill find d explanation and post it

tempco

HSC
• Light was shone in one end of an optic fibre bundle.
• Light coming out from the other end was observed.
• The bundle was bent, and the light coming out the other end was observed.
• Using a light probe and data logger, the intensity of the light coming out of the optic fibre with the light entering is recorded.
• The experiment was performed in the dark.

In the trials, I said I used a stirring rod (or any glass rod) instead of an optical fibre since it said "using things available to you in your school laboratory".

ashtor

HSC
in jacaranda it says to repeat the experiment under water and observe any changes based on refractive index...why would it change and how would it change?? also, it asks whether or not light is lost through the fibre (not when its bent but when the rooms dark)...would there be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)