• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Fight Club (2 Viewers)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I saw the movie, promptly fell in love, and have just ordered the book.

How does it compare to the movie, what is his writing style like?etc.
Also, has anyone read any of the author's other books?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
when i was younger i adored palahniuk. i still love fightclub, its by far his best novel.

Its short, brusque, very 'post modern' and very conversational. his books are interesting, but they're all really really similar. still, i'd love to get inside that mans mind.

many-eyeshere

HSC
I like Palahniuk but his writing deterorated once his popularity rose (Haunted). Rant was his come back.

I still need to read Diary, Lullaby, Snuff and Pgmy. Non-Fiction was actually really good.

I liked the movie FightClub better than the novel, the analysis of the concepts are good in the novel, but as a read he wasn't quite comfortable with his style and technquies. But nonetheless a good novel, just thought the movie expressed his concepts better.

Btw: Choke was just turned into a movie, see it. It's so good, completely the same as the novel down to the dialouge and the acting is fantasic. But they do cut out the bit where his guts bloated with shit and he's yelling at the news-cameras outside of his friend's stone/process building. In the film he's quite composed at that bit.

many-eyeshere

HSC
I've read most of his, it's very engaging but the characterisation becomes a fuzzy and repetitive (but I think he uses this to his advantage to portray his motif of meaning). The register is quite simple and the novels overall are very easy to read. He writes int he transgressive genre, uses a little bit of post-structuralist theory(but nothing to be worried about). The plotlines are amazing and original. The only novel he wrote I thought was poor quality is Haunted. He replies too much on shock value and trying to be the 'bad guy' of literature.

His style is very relaxed and informal, his actual register and description is limited but when it all comes together his works are all amazing in their own ways and enlighten/challenge you.

Read Survivour, Choke, Rant or Invisible Monsters first. They are all golden winners.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I like Palahniuk but his writing deterorated once his popularity rose (Haunted). Rant was his come back.

I still need to read Diary, Lullaby, Snuff and Pgmy. Non-Fiction was actually really good.

I liked the movie FightClub better than the novel, the analysis of the concepts are good in the novel, but as a read he wasn't quite comfortable with his style and technquies. But nonetheless a good novel, just thought the movie expressed his concepts better.

Btw: Choke was just turned into a movie, see it. It's so good, completely the same as the novel down to the dialouge and the acting is fantasic. But they do cut out the bit where his guts bloated with shit and he's yelling at the news-cameras outside of his friend's stone/process building. In the film he's quite composed at that bit.

snuff is trash. i was dissapointed. but i loved rant, everyone seems to dislike it but i thoroughly enjoyed it. i quite liked the oral biography structure of it, plus it has some great quotes!

HSC
Choke is gonna be a movie isnt it?
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

it's already been at the cinemas and is now out on dvd. geez, keep up.

The novel was very, very similar to the film. Much prefer the film's ending though. It was his first book, wrote it when he was 19 and it's awesome but you can basically see his progression into being a better writer as you read his books since. Over all, loved it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)