Film vs. Video (1 Viewer)

studiousbiatch

HSC
someone PLEASE tell me the difference!

despite reading the syllabus AND asking my teacher, i still dont understand! please tell me!

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
Video is recording an analogue/digital tape. (VHS or D-V) This is what you most likely have access to Camcorders, digital video camera's and other home video devices all fall into this category.

Film is recording to (believe it or not) film, or celluloid. There are a multitude of different sizes(?) 8mm (or Hi 8), 16mm, 32mm. Each level produces different effects. for effective use of different film, see Michael Mann's Collateral you should notice the subtle differences. The most noticable difference between film and video, is that video can be played on VHS orDVD, film for HSC projects is played on projector, as in what you hand in is the spool. No EE2 student has ever handed in a completed film, but It'd be cool to be first.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
Unless Uncle X has a film camera (35mm or more) there is no point - stick to digital as it is so cheap now - you can get a fairly decent digital video camera for under 800 dolars. If you want to, you can even get up to HD for around 4 - 7000 but, the Board of Studies won't care really - as long as they can watch it, and hear it.
However, make sure whatever you pick, try and make the final mixdown on VHS tape - even if recorded on digital - with all these issues with certain blank DVDs not working on players, it is best to stick to good old analog VHS-PAL

HSC
Hold your horses there lcf after the Ext 2 English day one of the senior markers for video said they preferred DVD to VHS. As long as you check your disc on multiple players to make sure it works id use DVD.

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
Film records to film - ie: little tiny slides that run through a projector at 24 frames a second. If properly used it gives a far superior image and mood to the film. Filming on film requires special cameras, filmstock and someone to develop the stock. It also requires far more knowledge than to operate a camcorder. The cost is the main reason why the board of studies allows you to do a shorter film is you use film.

Video is a generic term for most everything else - minidv, dvd, vhs, svhs, digital8, hi8 etc. Its much cheaper and is easier to use. The quality isn't as great however with some careful shooting and proper lighting you can squeeze some pretty nice images out of minidv.

For reference, if you had a choice:
- Mini DV is the best consumer format to use. There are others such as dvcam however that is going into the pro / semi-pro territory.
- Dvd would be the 2nd best. You know, those cameras that record directly onto DVD
- Digital8 is a close 2nd with DVD.

Personally, I wouldn't see why you would do a film for ext2 English. In the end it is an english piece and is marked accordingly. Why would you deliberately shorten the time you have to get the message across?

Christiaan Blok

Extension 2 English Video Tutoring & Workshopping
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/Tutoring.htm
writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Brucemaster said:
Hold your horses there lcf after the Ext 2 English day one of the senior markers for video said they preferred DVD to VHS. As long as you check your disc on multiple players to make sure it works id use DVD.
I'd still say that outputting to tape would be better, we know it works.

DVD players can be VERY temperamental and even after testing on several DVD players, may not work on others. It really depends on too many factors, namely how you author the DVD, what audio/video formats you've used to create your vobs and finally how you burn the DVD's themselves and how specific the DVD player is, ie, Pioneer DV-55K lacks the ability to play DVDs with slight scratches or certain streams whilst a cheaper Akai dvd player will play them flawlessly

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
I tell all my students to put it onto DVD and include a VHS copy as a backup - include instructions to markers that the DVD is first priority and VHS 2nd.

If you burn on a slow speed using good discs you should be fine. Also avoid labels on the disc. The ONLY brand I use for DVDs are Verbatim. Some jobs would require me to produce 100+ copies. If I use Verbatim CDs you can be sure every one of those discs work on even the crappiest players.

-Chris.

EXPERIENCED EXTENSION 2 ENGLISH (VIDEO) TUTORING AND VIDEO WORKSHOPS
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/Tutoring.htmhttp://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions

pungemo

HSC
You should definately avoid labels on the DVD, this can possibly impact performance (who knows wny) and also does not contribute to your mark in any way. All that should be on the disk is title and student number. Cblok is also right about burn speeds. If you burn at minimum speed using full error checking it may take hours but it will almost certainly work with any player (if you use high quality disks such as verbatim).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)