• Best of luck to the class of 2019 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and exam papers on our Notes & Resources page

Finished HSC (1 Viewer)

dumbfuck

HSC
N/A
What else should I do these holidays besides wallow in self pity?

But nah have a job, trying to finish 120h drivin been on my L’s for a year, working out and mario kart.

don’t feel productive like I should be doing more, not really travelling like others

what’s everyone else doing?

Last edited:

dumbfuck

HSC
N/A
I'm boring, I just went and learnt uni stuff from a textbook :p

nice, dont really know if I’ll get into the courses I put down and wouldn’t know where to find uni stuff to read, would be down to thou since it’d be nice to get a head start lol

TeheeCat

HSC
Were they any hobbies or other activities you abandoned before Year 11/12? You can go back to those! I'm going back into programming, watching shows and taking 3 hour+ naps after my final exam on Monday. Might also go on some outings here and there.

Hithcock

HSC
My plan is to learn LATEX, prepare my system of learning for university and make HSC revision videos for physics, chemistry and science extension. Would also like to read some books, in particular, The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris, Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harrari and some others. I also need to get fit:p, so I made a bet to my sister that I will sign up and go to the gym every day until I go back to India for the holidays, which is around Christmas.

Would also love to learn to code, but I would like to focus on the above goals :)

akkjen

HSC
N/A
do nothing for the first couple of weeks, then i am going overseas, then i need to learn latex and try learn some programming .... since this the probably one of the last proper breaks we are going to have until after uni i want to enjoy it.

Arrowshaft

HSC
My plan is to learn LATEX, prepare my system of learning for university and make HSC revision videos for physics, chemistry and science extension. Would also like to read some books, in particular, The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris, Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harrari and some others. I also need to get fit:p, so I made a bet to my sister that I will sign up and go to the gym every day until I go back to India for the holidays, which is around Christmas.

Would also love to learn to code, but I would like to focus on the above goals :)
LaTeX is baeeeeee 😍. Learnt it in year 10, so I might learn C or python

Arrowshaft

HSC
Actually on second though, might consolidate my latex knowledge; as I’m a bit iffy with pgf and gnu plots. Might also familiarise myself with the circuittikz package for uni electricity physics topics. I’m also contemplating whether I should typeset my notes into latex, but we’ll see

akkjen

HSC
N/A
Actually on second though, might consolidate my latex knowledge; as I’m a bit iffy with pgf and gnu plots. Might also familiarise myself with the circuittikz package for uni electricity physics topics. I’m also contemplating whether I should typeset my notes into latex, but we’ll see
what should i start of with?

Hithcock

HSC
Damn, I just plan to use this web program known as ‘Overleaf’. It’s a web program where you enter commands and you get a preview, just as usual. I really like it, as they give great tutorials and stuff. I hope to use latex for uni assignments (not doing maths, but writing up reports and stuff :)). It has a couple of other great features as well

Arrowshaft

HSC
Damn, I just plan to use this web program known as ‘Overleaf’. It’s a web program where you enter commands and you get a preview, just as usual. I really like it, as they give great tutorials and stuff. I hope to use latex for uni assignments (not doing maths, but writing up reports and stuff :)). It has a couple of other great features as well
Oh yeah overleaf is good, also ShareLatex for web stuff. Personally I download MacTEX for my MacBook Pro as I prefer solid programs rather than web based but either is good, I suppose web is also better as it helps you with any issues and is generally user friendly for beginners

Arrowshaft

HSC
yes, i just want to do the basic integration, binomials etc
Oh in that case, you don’t need any of the packages I mentioned above, the ones I mentioned are only for graphing and picture making basically. Just normal maths typesetting is pretty basic and you’ll have no trouble understanding and applying it in virtually no time!

akkjen

HSC
N/A
Oh in that case, you don’t need any of the packages I mentioned above, the ones I mentioned are only for graphing and picture making basically. Just normal maths typesetting is pretty basic and you’ll have no trouble understanding and applying it in virtually no time!
seems good, can't wait till monday lol

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Would recommend learning some popular programming languages like C++, Python, etc. If you plan to go into eng/sci, a computational language like Matlab would also be useful.

Learning latex shouldn't take too long. Also know when and when not to use latex - unless you're writing a technical report, word generally gets the job done faster lol.

I would say it's best to learn something that you won't learn in your degree. It's generally quite difficult to learn something by just reading about it and doing a few example problems. Learning is most efficient when you have a problem to work on. E.g. I learnt latex because I had to write out a technical physics lab report, and Matlab was also learnt by doing uni assignments. So I would say it's better to learn something that you might not see in your degree, but might be useful later on. E.g. I wish I had learnt python during the breaks, since it wasn't required for us to learn it, but now I have to use it at work.

Last edited:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Lol word (and excel) are actually extremely powerful - there's so many functions that people aren't aware of, and is much more powerful than latex in terms of what it can do. Latex is really only used in academia, since it's primary purpose is just to make a pretty document. Don't get me wrong, I love using latex, but unfortunately it's just not very practical in industry. I'm actually using latex right now for one of my coursework major projects, but yeh it's for my studies and not for work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)