First day of Uni (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
How do you prepare yourself??

I have a laboratory as my first class... What do I need to bring for:

Lab
Tutes
Lectures ??

Also, do I just go into the designated room and get straight into the work ?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
What sort of lab? Wear closed shoes. Probably need labcoat/eye protection too (buy on the day you get there if you need it)

Jonneeh

HSC
Aren't the only things on during the first week lectures?

D94

HSC
N/A
Going by your previous post, you are doing engineering. For engineering, there aren't any tutes or labs for the first week. You can check by going to myUNSW, go to class timetable, and select Week 1. Pretty sure you won't have tute/lab; (I don't).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
No labs in the first week only lectures, but in the first lab in the second week it's ususally a safety induction and you usually don't do anything.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
First thing off, you will have to go to the main hall and be sorted into houses (similar to in the Harry Potter books, although the house names are Indigenous and less cool)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Freshman Year, Freshman year, Gotta prove to my roommate that I'm not a queer.

HSC
How do you prepare yourself??

I have a laboratory as my first class... What do I need to bring for:

Lab
Tutes
Lectures ??

Also, do I just go into the designated room and get straight into the work ?

Well, like others have said, pretty sure there are no labs or tutorials for this week, if the course outline for that subject is available it should give you a calendar with what's happening, topic by topic, lab by lab etc. Your first lab, it should be a safety induction, you may have to do an online quiz, or fill out some things in your manual i.e where are the fire extinguishers, what do you do when you drop glass etc . Basics.

As far as preparing yourself..uh, just read the lab manual before going in - if it's going to be a more time consuming/difficult experiment, make sure you make a flow chart of the method and highlight specific quantities/measurements etc Try and get that stuff done before going in. Seriously, sounds like I'm over analysing, but reading your lab practical and making a flow chart before you go in, cuts out so much time > quicker to get your work done > quicker to get out the door. I'm guessing enginnering labs are set up similarly to biological/chemical labs?

Tutorials - try and answer the questions before going in, saves time and also they might require you to already have answered/attempted them anyway.

Lectures - Some people bring with them printed notes, but I never bother with that. Just write or use a netbook etc I've seen people bring dictaphones with them into lectures and they get placed on the lectern so it's close enough to record their voice. I've never personally done that, but I'm thinking I might try it for classes which don't record their lectures on video.

Labs - I know you're a guy, but for any girls who happen across this; ballet flats won't count as enclosed shoes. They usually tend to ask not to wear excessive heels in the lab as well. Heeled boots - meh, stilettos - wtf are you doing in the lab with tall heels gurlfraaaan? :p

Don't worry dude, it will ALL be explained what's expected for you to bring to each during first week lectures :) Hope everything all works out for you this semester.

Jonneeh

HSC
Most of the courses of taken have either video or audio podcasts of the lectures.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Soo many hot chicks in my spanish class XD... i don't think ill be able to say the same for ECON1101 or MGMT1101 =/

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Soo many hot chicks in my spanish class XD... i don't think ill be able to say the same for ECON1101 or MGMT1101 =/
ECON1101 is alright if you like Asian chicks (and by Asian I mean Chinese).

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
ECON1101 is alright if you like Asian chicks (and by Asian I mean Chinese).
Im like spanish/filipino but look nothing like a filo, more white/wog. So i guess econ1101 is a no go zone since I'm more into euro chicks... looks like the law building is my new hunting ground ^^ .... or not

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)