first in state (1 Viewer)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
gday all

firstly...to miss "samantha lee dawson" i have to say congratulations...not only did u get first in d+t but you have done the media rounds and put a good word in for d+t....

if u do not post on bos...which u probably dont, someone pass on my words...

i wanna know what kinda mark you need to get first in d+t....i put my marks into SAM and my 98 in d+t as a percentile says "first in state"....i find that quite ironic cause despite sharing the same last name,....i didnt get first in the state :(

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Firstly congratulations Dawso for that awesome mark of 98... That is really really high... In fact I think that the girl that came first might have had the same mark but it was just higher by a fraction (i.e. you scored 98.3 she might have been 98.9)... Around 98 in previous years was the top mark...

Congratulations class of 05 and I hope you got the marks you deserve

I also apologise for not being here to help you guys last year as I was flat out with work and uni. I will make it a resolution to help the 06 class as DT is a subject that should get a lot more promotion.

If anyone used my guide, let me know how it went and what your marks were... If you have any suggestions, please please email me at colin_jaques@hotmail.com so I can add them in...

Enjoy the silly season :D

dawso

HSC
omg, the man, the myth, beaky has returned.....

i used your guide a bit....it was good in the fact that u suggested using mind maps....i had a mind map at the start of each section but then just looked through the other suggestions and the standards packages as to what they used to make up the rest....

if i have one tip for the folio, its that if u dont know whether to include one peice of information as say a table or a graph or a mind map....i say use all three, some say this is padding, i say its gettin marks....

also, study for the exam, even though the exams are always easy, if u actually study u will find that as u write stuff, u actually feel like u know what ur talking about, not just shitting on.... (found a big difference between trial and hsc exams...)

good luck class of 06

cheers

-dawso

(for the record, i got 5th in state :)

vahsi

HSC
N/A
DT messed me up

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post & since you guys are talking about DT and UAI, I thought I should post here...
Umm, The main reason i couldn't get into uni was DT and the horrible scaling, when I looked up my ranking on SAM, I found out that i was in the bottom 13% for getting a mark of 62. Firstly I don't know why either my teacher or BOS put my assessment down to 60 where i was getting 70-75 in class assessments. It's not like i did my MDP on the last day, my MDP took me several months to make, I made a chessboard which was made from recycled material and hand tools.

I'm not sure if it was our teacher/ the tools we used or if our class had some sort of curse, but now one in the class got higher than a band 3 (pretty sad, if you think about it). I swear it's not because we didn't work hard, some of the students in my class had the capability of getting a UAI of 90+ but ended up get lower than 80 because of DT.

My friend call me up the other day asking if there was some sort of glitch with BOS computers, wondering why he also got an assessment mark of 60 where he's in class assessment and exams were 90+.

I know what's passed is passed and we all should let it go, but seriously what did we have to do more to get a descent mark of 70 or even 80+???

dawso

HSC
i notice that u say that u did ur mdp for a long time and put alot of work into it....was this work mainly into the prac side or did u honestly put in 60% of ur mdp work into the folio??

also, did u honestly put in 40% of ur effort into theory, and learning a textbook for example, or doing past papers?

these bits of d+t often get missed out i think, at school we did one period a week of "theory" but really, we did nothing in this time, i had to do it at home myself mostly....

also, you say u were getting good marks in school assessments, i ask, what was the nature of these assessments? were they hsc style exams? at our school the assessments were mainly comprised of assignments and ongoing assessments of our mdp which really....dont show much, its fairly easy to get 100% in an assignment for example.....

if they were hsc style examinations, were u marked tightly? say for a question 12 style question (comprising 4-8 mark questions) did u often just get 8/8? cause really.....ur teacher was probably leading you on

overall, i think 99% of schools dont run d+t very well, because it is done by alot of students as a bludge, and even teachers treat it as their bludge they dont put in the effort or really try to acheive marks, its seen as a releif but then teachers mark easily which leads students to beleive that they are doing well, which stops more effort.....trust me, d+t requires alot of effort to go well and to do really well, i think you even have to put in too much effort (which causes ur other subjects to suffer as a concequence....such as my 4unit maths :()

anyway, i think all my rambling has said maybe y u didnt acheive the marks u thought u were going to acheive, does ur uai still get you into what you want to study?

many unis will see your mdp as a very positive thing and if u contact unis and tell them how u put in alot of effort and love their uni and their course, then they may at least meet with you to discuss it, and as i said, dont forget tp show them some of ur mdp, it shows that you have shown "creativity, innovation, self-motivation, management" and a heap of other stuff that they love to see

good luck

(geez this was a long rambling post)

cheers

-dawso

slinky_cumquat

Geriatric
HSC
i found that DT scaled me up! well it helped to cushion the blow of my maths mark anyway, i got a band 6, and i guess you have to be so careful with how you divide your time, you spend hours on the product, but thats only worth about 20% of the 60 the MDP is worth. during the year you dont really spend much time on theory, although the exam is still worth a large 40%.. its crappy that you got done over with DT :(

if you feel there has been a mistake (there could easily have been) you can ring BOS to find out what is going on. perhaps your school reported incorrect marks to BOS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)