First part-time job after the HSC (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

HSC
Does anyone know of qualifications that I can attain or courses I can take to increase my employability?
btw I don't have any previous work experience

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your HSC marks and ATAR, if high, can serve as qualification if you're seeking a tutoring job (say at a tutoring company). That's how I was able to work in a tutoring company throughout 2020.

I think it all depends on what kind of part-time job you're seeking. Retail may not require any kind of qualifications (although previous experience might be required, but some don't mind those with no experience and are willing to train them). I was accepted and started working at Woolworths a couple of days ago, despite not having any retail experience.

If you're looking to work in something like, say, office administration/reception, there are some TAFE courses that run for short periods of time and can improve your employability upon receiving your certificate.

Additionally, universities like USyd offer a range of short courses which can be of benefit depending on the job you're seeking.

I hope this helps! 😄

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
Obviously it depends what industry you are seeking employment in. As suggested above, there are many courses that will improve your employability in certain areas.
However, some courses are ordinarily mandatory for certain occupations e.g.
  • RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol: mandatory for work on licenced premises
  • An accredited barista's course for employment as a barista in most cafes / restaurants
Most retail-based employers don't necessarily seek any specific qualifications for customer service jobs, however some other positions require certain qualifications, which can be accrued over time.

Apply for jobs like you're applying for universities. Send in applications / résumés to dozens of locations and then work your way through your preferences.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
even little things such as a provisional driver license (greens but I'm on reds) or tri/quad lingual or having a white card (done with any industrial tech) can significantly boost employability at young ages. puts you above the speds that somehow land great PT jobs.

also don't schools force you to take some work experience course like at unsw for like science i did that in y10

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
even little things such as a provisional driver license (greens but I'm on reds) or tri/quad lingual or having a white card (done with any industrial tech) can significantly boost employability at young ages. puts you above the speds that somehow land great PT jobs.

also don't schools force you to take some work experience course like at unsw for like science i did that in y10
You got your red P's? Congrats!

Hiheyhello

HSC

yeah haha my school did not provide the option for work experience :(
gonna try and boost my hours in the summer holidays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)