First year course in second year (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
*scretch head*... Are we allowed to do first year courses in second year? :confused:

Also.. does not choosing the electives specified by the faculty really matter? :confused:

*majorly confused* :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
mitochondria said:
*scretch head*... Are we allowed to do first year courses in second year? :confused:
It depends on your program. They might have restrictions on how many 1xxx courses you can do in second year.

mitochondria said:
Also.. does not choosing the electives specified by the faculty really matter? :confused:
It depends on your program. Some programs' electives aren't "free" electives, but rather "select from this list" electives.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
mitochondria, i think for medical science and advanced science, we are not allow to take more than 48 UOC of first year courses.

DavidV

HSC
im pretty sure there is no limit to which years u have to do first year subjects in

i will be doing some first year subjects in 3rd and possibly even 4th years.

sunny

meh.
HSC
DavidV said:
im pretty sure there is no limit to which years u have to do first year subjects in
Some programs do...some programs don't...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
damm im doing discrete this yr as a 2nd yr. doubt ill find anyone there to keep me interested >.<

shannonm

HSC
N/A
your a math major right?
why not save discrete until 3d or 4t year ('less you plan on doing finite?)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
shannonm said:
your a math major right?
why not save discrete until 3d or 4t year ('less you plan on doing finite?)
2nd yr bcom/bsc (finance & Stats) (transferred from bcom (actuarial studies & finance).

doesnt fit. plus i dont want 6contact hrs in later yrs

shannonm

HSC
N/A
have you worked out 3rd and 4th year timeables already ?
plus it may be 6 contact hours but how many noncontact hours? 0
2nd and 3rd year maths should be at least 4

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
yeah, i worked it out otherwise lots of stuff clashes. i cant believe for s2 in 3rd yr i have a thurs frmo 9-6 straight (math3941 higher stats of dependent data and math3821 stat modelling & computing). what r u doing?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
i will probably end up doing both those courses too but not in the same session (5 hours of straight stats lectures not cool)
i pretty much let my timetable decide my subjects - whatever i can shove in i end up doing

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I reckon you should just get discrete over and done with. It's only hard if you follow the lectures without actually borrowing a real(tm) discrete mathematics book from the library. And doing the past papers of course.

btw do good, if a friend of mine gets 90+ in discrete this session, i'll have to dye my hair blonde :/ (or yellow)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
underthesun said:
I reckon you should just get discrete over and done with. It's only hard if you follow the lectures without actually borrowing a real(tm) discrete mathematics book from the library. And doing the past papers of course.

btw do good, if a friend of mine gets 90+ in discrete this session, i'll have to dye my hair blonde :/ (or yellow)
ive had a look at the recommended discrete txtbks. should i only fotocopy the exercises and solutions? what about explanation?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I feel compelled to say that I never looked at the recommended textbook for 1081 even though I had a copy.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Just get any with "discrete" on it from the library, even the old ones. What you need is the lecture notes (purely in the interest of knowing the required topic), and a discrete textbook which covers them topics.

Just beat the rush and borrow them from the library. You'll need explanation from the book since they're generally more clear, and as important, excercises with worked solutions.

gman03

HSC
§eraphim said:
ive had a look at the recommended discrete txtbks. should i only fotocopy the exercises and solutions? what about explanation?
Pretty much everything on the 'proof' sections would be suffice, unless Modus Ponen Tollen confuses you more. BTW you still have the lectue notes to look at for 1081.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)