• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

First year wanting to transfer courses! (1 Viewer)

WazzahT

HSC
Just graduated highschool and doing architectural studies, and im absolutely hating it. I know it might be because of it still being the first few weeks, and im just not used to it, but i have this feeling i'm never going to get into arch.

I feel so regretful and foolish for choosing something design-related. I feel like exploding into explaining my stupid choice, but i need not to.

Is it possible to transfer anytime soon into B.comm or B.construction management and property?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
I might be wrong, but I think the express way to transfer would be mid-year (i.e. one full semester).

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
Generally UNSW lets you change courses (if accepted) in the first two weeks only

D94

HSC
N/A
It could be too late now, but you should have gone to the relevant program authority, discussed this with them, and they would have recommended you to choose Commerce (or Construction) courses even though you are enrolled in the Architecture program.

So now (if UNSW doesn't make you an exception due to extenuating circumstances), you could either continue with the Arch courses for now then attempt to transfer either via UAC (at the mid year) or internally (at the end of the year) or UAC (at the end of the year); or, if you don't want to pay for the Arch courses, you could take a gap year/half year and apply for Commerce or whatever at the mid year.

Right now, you can't pick up any new courses, but you can drop courses.

NB: a "course" is a "subject", you complete a "program" to attain a "degree".

kennyb22

HSC
B. Comm is hugely different from B. Eng/Architecture, and it's only been a week since you started the course.

I suggest you knuckle down, work hard and learn to love it, and if at the end of the semester you still hate it then I guess you'll just have to transfer.

hpatdh

HSC
So what is the date of mid-semester internal transfers at UNSW?

WazzahT

HSC
I went into the student centre of my faculty, and they told me that i couldnt change programs now, but could do mid-year intake for B.Comm or end of year transfer for B.Construct Management and Property.

I told him that i would lack in the design department of Arch, and he told me that i have the option to defer the year.

He also told me that if i did not want to defer the year, i would could take only two subjects this and next semester(24UOC in total), so UAC will not use my performance at Uni, and only consider my ATAR. Apparently, if i were to do bad this year, it would lower my chances of transferring through UAC.

Can anyone confirm this, or at least give some advice on whether i should defer or not.
Thank you.

a19901213

HSC
Yes they were right. If you do a full semester then UAC will evaluate you using your uni result(or half of your uni result if i recall it correctly). If you don't have the confidence that you gonna get a decent mark for this semester then it probably a good idea to just do two subjects or just take a half year off and reapply mid-year through UAC. However mid-year entry normally is quite competitive, the cuts off can jump really high which can be a concern.

If I were you, I would probably try to carry on for another few weeks, and if the architectural really is not the right course for you, I would probably just withdraw the course and take half year gap and reapply in mid-year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)