Folder randomly appearing on my dektop (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Maybe my brother/sister did this, I don't know.

The folder is titled "%SystemDrive%" so of course, I don't really want to move it. :\

I'm thinking spam or some virus, but all of my subscriptions to that stuff is up-to-date.

Any solutions/help?

Danoz The Great

HSC
Yes, I've had a look. It goes like this (I don't know if this will help but it wouldn't hurt to post it):

Inside is "Documents and Settings";
then "user";
then "Application Data";
then "Microsoft";
then two folders: "CryptnetUrlCache" and "System Certificates".

Inside "CryptnetUrlCache" is two folders: "content" and "MetaData". they both contain a system file with long file names which are like VGFJK943JSDFH43897 (ie loads of capital letters and numbers).

Inside "System Certificates" is "My"; then three folders: "Certificates", "CRLs" and "CTLs". All three folders appear to be empty.

I don't know if this will help, lol. But I'm too scared to move/delete the folder, I just want to know if some person who knows more about computers than me can help.

I'd like to know how it got there in the first place, if it's cleverly disguised spam, if it's safe to delete etc.

To me "CryptNet" sounds like some spam/virus like a tracker. But I don't know what it is, so yar :\

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Check in the actual Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Microsoft folder and see if the same files exist (Could be All Users instead of User). If they do, delete the folder.

If not, well, I'm not quite sure what the files are, but it should be able to be deleted without harm (I will not take any responsibility if something bad does happen).

You can't delete the real system files anyway. It will come up with an error.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Re: Folder randomly appearing on my deSktop

If it's "read-only" and you want it to make Hidden, deselect read-only, press Apply then select Hidden and press OK.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

just delete it, either its a virus or your family accidently copied something onto the desktop. Nothing vital is ever on the desktop, its just built for shortcuts

Danoz The Great

HSC
Templar said:
Check in the actual Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Microsoft folder and see if the same files exist (Could be All Users instead of User). If they do, delete the folder.

If not, well, I'm not quite sure what the files are, but it should be able to be deleted without harm (I will not take any responsibility if something bad does happen).

You can't delete the real system files anyway. It will come up with an error.
There are 8 folders there but none with that name.

Danoz The Great

HSC

politik said:
Show me what files are inside it. If its only 69.4KB, I doubt it would make too much damage. But of course, some files like boot.ini are only a few KB's and they're essential...

EDIT: Turn off 'Hide Protected System Files' and turn on 'Show Hidden Files' in Folder Options, then tell me whats inside.
Well I described all the folders earlier in the thread, and there are four visible files in two of the folders.

This is what is in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content (see 1.jpg)

This is what is in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\MetaData (see 2.jpg)

Danoz The Great

HSC

AntiHyper said:
If it's "read-only" and you want it to make Hidden, deselect read-only, press Apply then select Hidden and press OK.
I can deselect read-only, but the option of making it hidden is greyed out - see pic in earlier post.

Serius said:
just delete it, either its a virus or your family accidently copied something onto the desktop. Nothing vital is ever on the desktop, its just built for shortcuts
I'm not risaking it until I'm 100% sure. Besides, would it honestly be something you would do if it was your computer?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)