Food prices set to double (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Food prices are set to double

AUSTRALIAN food prices could double within a few years on the back of global shortages and soaring fuel prices.

The drought, a shortage of water and agricultural land, insatiable demand from China and India and a lack of investment in research have combined with high oil prices to create a grim future for Australian families.

Australia has had its worst rice crop in more than 80 years and rice, wheat and corn prices have more than doubled in the past two years as a result of the drought.

University of Technology Sydney science professor Julian Cribb said fuel was the main input to agriculture, serving farm machinery and producing fertiliser.

Australia also had the added problem of having to transport its food over vast distances.

"That's all going to impact on the consumer at the supermarket checkout, so you could easily see food prices doubling in Australia over the next few years," he said.

Australia was also guilty of taking water away from farmers, building on prime agricultural land and failing to invest in science and technology that would boost food production.

"Almost every country you look at, cities are taking the water away from farmers so there's no longer enough water to produce the food.

"We can see that on the Murray Darling in Australia but it's true in China, India and other countries," Assoc Prof Cribb said.

Australian Farm Institute executive director Mick Keogh said food prices were predicted to rise by around 20 per cent in the next financial year.

Although Australia won't run short of food, consumers would certainly pay more, he said.

"It's interesting that the OECD, in looking at the global situation, pointed to Australia's drought as a factor (in higher global prices) and the reason is that Australia's such a big exporter," Mr Keogh said.

The OECD and UN Food and Agriculture Organisation say the drought in Australia is a contributor to rising global prices.

Australia's 2000 rice growers on average harvest 1.2 million tonnes - but this year didn't even crack 20,000 tonnes.

Ricegrowers Association of Australia president Les Gordon said growers had received no water allocation for two years and there were no signs of rain.

"In the case of the Murray Valley, it's the second year with virtually no crop there and we've had a zero (water) allocation for two years," Mr Gordon said.

"We understand there's a drought, we understand there's no water in the dam, but particularly in the case of the Murray Valley, the price of rice has doubled and heading for tripled since any of us last grew a crop."

At least 46 per cent of a crop producer's cost is fuel or fuel-related. But NSW Farmers' Association president Jock Laurie said the farmer didn't pass on any of those costs to the consumer.

"Whenever you get increased fuel prices, you get increased transport prices right from the farm gate."

Sauce: http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23791677-14327,00.html

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
But the real reason for posting this thread was to lol at this comment on the News website:

Elias writes:

The solution which s never taken: Regulate the food prices. Food is a commodity, a necessity, not a luxury. The government should regulate the food prices, milk is an example. After milk was deregulated, the price virtually doubled. Also we must prioritize food production and consumption, in other words we must ensure our people here have access to cheap and large amounts of food. This is because we export alot of food to China! This is ridiculous, this global trade will lead to shortages. Forget China's demand, our demands here come first!

Posted at 2:09pm today

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
So eat half as much.

Obesity problem solved.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
But the real reason for posting this thread was to lol at this comment on the News website:

Elias writes:

The solution which s never taken: Regulate the food prices. Food is a commodity, a necessity, not a luxury. The government should regulate the food prices, milk is an example. After milk was deregulated, the price virtually doubled. Also we must prioritize food production and consumption, in other words we must ensure our people here have access to cheap and large amounts of food. This is because we export alot of food to China! This is ridiculous, this global trade will lead to shortages. Forget China's demand, our demands here come first!

Posted at 2:09pm today
It's me. I'm Elias posting at 2.09pm on the news.com.au website.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Also the whole problem with Bee's. We're the only country not infested with mites and when they do come the pollination of orchids will decrease incredibly thus increasing food shortage.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
move civilization to the east coast of australia , then give SA/WA/NT to the aborigines to do their own thang

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
move civilization to the east coast of australia , then give SA/WA/NT to the aborigines to do their own thang
why would we give abbos mines + precious metals

theyre aboriginals

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Start building electric fences around communities that will be able to afford the food to prevent the onslaught of plebians from attacking!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
If an Israeli citizen leaves Israel before the age of 16 and does not take up residence in Israel on a permanent basis before the age of 21 they are exempt from conscription.

Similarly any citizen living abroad during that period is also exempt.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Fact I live in Australia doesn't make me a pussy. :) I will, after I finish university in 2011. :)

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
JaredR said:
Fact I live in Australia doesn't make me a pussy. :) I will, after I finish university in 2011. :)
sure u will bro

sure u will

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I'll move to Ma'ale Adumim probably, you can even search it. It's 10 minutes from Jerusalem, went there at the start of this year.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
JaredR said:
I'll move to Ma'ale Adumim probably, you can even search it. It's 10 minutes from Jerusalem, went there at the start of this year.
Are u an expert in Krav Maga

do u know adam sandler

flappinghippo

HSC
The government subsidies on biofuel have raised demand for corn and other crops, and so have

pushed prices up for corn,

pushed farmers to move onto land previously used for grazing to grow more corn

pushed graziers to fell forests to create more land for grazing.

More corn for biofuel means less corn to eat.
More corn for biofuel means less forests.
And the energy extracted from burning biofuel is negated by the energy used in extracting it.

Boo for biofuel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)