For anyone who got 99+: did you have a job? (1 Viewer)

Did you have a job while you did the HSC?

• Yes

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 59.4%

• Total voters

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For any of you guys who got UAIs of 99+, did you have part-time jobs while you were doing your HSC?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Jobs during yr 12 are stupid. Especially if youre aiming for 99+. What would you spend your money on anyway? You have half of century of working to look forward to. Why waste the last work-free year of your life delivering pizzas or flipping patties?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
No. Not because I wanted to go good in the HSC but because I didnt really need the money

sarevok

HSC
I had a job and got 97.8... I'd imagine you'd have to be extremely bright to get 99+ if you work during HSC.

magician

HSC
The dux of my school got 99.45 and had a part-time job : )

Mind you, she eventually was only working one shift a week. She also did 4 unit English and 4 unit maths!!!!

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
magician said:
The dux of my school got 99.45 and had a part-time job : )

Mind you, she eventually was only working one shift a week. She also did 4 unit English and 4 unit maths!!!!
wow! 4 unit english and 4 unit maths...
that wouldve scaled well but...

magician

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
wow! 4 unit english and 4 unit maths...
that wouldve scaled well but...
Band E4 in both : )

Also in 3 unit English and Maths : )

She really deserved it too.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Skillo said:
A mate of mine got 99.4 and worked about 6 hours a week. Sometimes that extended to 9 hours depending.
That's pretty crazy...although I guess it depends on how many hours he/she worked.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Idyll said:
I had a job and I got 99.90.

Mind you, I didn't work many hours during term time in year 12 (one shift a week, that was usually a half day), and didn't work at all during trials and hsc.

I found it was fairly good because when I finished at the end of the year, I already had a casual job and was able to get a fair number of hours, being Christmas and working in retail and all.

I think the other thing was I work for a retailer which hasn't gone all out with extended trade (we're only open thursday nights and weekends), and I rarely worked nights, which was handy.
Even with one shift a week, how did you manage to study for Maths Ext 1 and to get 1st in the state? I didn't work during 2004 (Yr 11 for me), and I didn't get anywhere near the top in Ext 1...are you just naturally gifted (either in part or in full), or did you just manage your time extremely well??

Idyll

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Even with one shift a week, how did you manage to study for Maths Ext 1 and to get 1st in the state? I didn't work during 2004 (Yr 11 for me), and I didn't get anywhere near the top in Ext 1...are you just naturally gifted (either in part or in full), or did you just manage your time extremely well??
I tend to think doing 4u helps a lot with doing 3u (I did 4u). the skills you learn in 4u and the ability to tackle harder problems feeds back into 3u and gives you much greater confidence in doing 3u problems. i guess i could say that most of my study was more specific to 4u. it would be interesting to know if anyone has ever come first in 3u maths without doing 4u (probably a bit of a waste of potential if they did).

just out of curiosity, are you doing 4u this year?

edit: also, did you make the top 20 with your 2u maths mark?

schmackers

HSC
N/A
I worked about 10hrs a week up until two weeks before the trials... then I quit. Didn't really need the money, but wanted the work experience. Ended up getting 99.85, so I'm happy.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
99.35 and I worked at least one shift every two weeks (excepting term 3) and more during holidays.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Idyll said:
it would be interesting to know if anyone has ever come first in 3u maths without doing 4u (probably a bit of a waste of potential if they did).
I remember one person who received a UAI of 100, in 2003 I think, did only ME1, but received 100 for 2u maths and 50 for 3u maths. Perfect scores.

Regardless of the UAI I think that is a waste.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I remember one person who received a UAI of 100, in 2003 I think, did only ME1, but received 100 for 2u maths and 50 for 3u maths. Perfect scores.

Regardless of the UAI I think that is a waste.
Depends...maybe they wanted to pursue a career in law, in which case 4U maths would be near-useless. They may have done Ext 2 English instead.

Btw. did that person get 1st in 2U and 3U?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmm i dont think so, cos remember 4u takes a lot of time out of ur other subjects.... So even if u come first in 3u doesn't mean if u did 4u, you would have still got 1st...

Idyll

HSC
assman said:
a job is a waste of time dont listen to them.
yeah, i've heard centrelink gives out money for doing nothing anyway.

why bother working at all?

in all seriousness, the point being made in this thread is that if you effectively manage your time, it's possible to have a job and do well in the HSC. it's a valuable point to be aware of. would you rather finish the hsc and be broke, or finish and have some money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)