For Those Who Are Not Yet Motivated: (1 Viewer)

minzoir

HSC
Hey there,
This thread is mainly targeted at those who are struggling to see the whole HSC picture and are finding it difficult to get into the schoolwork and study.
I know that many of you are already powering along but for some this whole "YR 12!" business just hasn't sunk in. I am a bit of an underdog in this HSC, I did not choose academically intensive subjects, but so far I have worked my ass off to get the marks and ranks that I currently have. Though it sounds like a cliche, if you work hard throughout year 12 you can get any mark you want!.

To begin i'll just a bit of my story for some context.. tl;dr at the bottom.

To be honest, when I picked my subjects for year 11 and 12 I had no intention of going to university. After doing work experience in a recording studio in my town I had a dream of becoming a sound engineer. Generally (but not always), in the entertainment industry: experience > qualifications. So all I wanted to do was finish the HSC, pay ridiculous amounts of money to go to JMC or SAE and then open my own recording studio. Upon participating in the stage crew at School Spectacular 2010 and talking to the professionals in the industry I realised this wasn't the job for me (I had done heaps and heaps of work experience [about 300+ hours] but it was only then that I realised this). These professionals stressed that unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY love this job regardless of the crap hours, pay and work conditions OR you are a business owner in the entertainment industry then you are better off not pursuing such a career. Following this "life-changing" experience, I somehow came to the conclusion that I wanted to be involved in some sought of business job. Realising this I also discovered that I inevitably had to work hard in yr 12 in order to get into my desired commerce course. This occurred during the Christmas/summer holidays so I also had to make up for my fairly mediocre marks during fourth term. Therefore, I had to force myself into a state of superior motivation.

Tl;dr : I changed my desired career path and realised I had to actually get an ATAR.
^
What I am trying to say is that I didn't work hard at all in Yr 11. It's what you do in Yr 12 that makes a difference.

Teachers, parents and student say this all the time:

"It doesn't matter if you don't do well in the HSC, there are many other pathways into your desired course."

No it doesn't matter, but wouldn't you rather go straight into uni without going to tafe or doing some sought of bridging course? What I'm trying to say is: Yes there are other ways into the course you want, but why chill now then have to do another course after the hsc? And once you DO get into uni, you're still going to have to work hard then to keep up with the workload. What has really motivated me has been the desire for that feeling after the HSC knowing that I have put in my 110%. I want to know that after walking out of that last exam I will have received a mark that I have earned and I have done my best that I possibly could.

"Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today."

I come from a rural school where many in my cohort are very laid-back about the HSC. Several weeks before midcourse exams I was studying hard and many of my friends thought I was crazy. The funny thing was, when the exams came around, I was as cool as a cucumber walking into that exam while many were freaking out. You are going to have to start studying sooner or later. The sooner you start, the more prepared you will be.

I do Advanced English but it is my weakest subject. A week before the external paper 1 exam, a guy from Standard English came up to me at a study day at school and asked me for English help. I said sure, not knowing what it was about. He then tried to make me take home the novel he was studying for English, read it and then write up notes for it. It sounds crazy that someone would ask this 1 week before the exam but if he started studying sooner rather than later this would not have been an issue.

"Do you want to finish knowing you had done the best you possibly could or will you be disappointed, knowing that you could have tried harder?"

It's only 1 year of your life. And this one year may have an impact on what you do for the rest of your life. A big driving force for me has the desire to know that I had done my absolute best. My nightmare scenario involves seeing my results and missing the cutoff for my course by 2 or 3 marks and knowing that I could have easily got in by spending a little bit more time studying. Now that I have put in the effort, even if I do miss out on my dream course, I know that I have worked hard and there is nothing I could have done about it.
Like I said, it's only 1 year of your life. Why not make the most of now rather than getting to the end, looking back, and regretting your lack of effort?

If you're going to get into it, do it now. Most people are still cruising right now (term 4) so smashing the first assessment tasks for your subjects is a massive advantage.

"Only study because YOU want to study."

The only thing that's going to keep you going is your self-motivation. Don't just do it because your parents or teachers want you to study, you have to do it because YOU want to succeed. That's the only way you can keep powering on. Don't make studying into a chore that you have to do. When that happens it evolves into some big bad monster that you will always dread having to do. Usually once you get started it isn't as bad as you thought. Stay optimistic, if you have a goal atar that you REALLY want to achieve, work hard and get it

Motivational Videos:
Here is a HSC related video that got me motivated:

Here is a really cheesy non-HSC related video that got me all pumped up:
(Sorry for the terrible quality video)

Making excuses not to study?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added by phuong14:
"You need to want to be successful as much as you want to breathe."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this may have helped someone to get motivated and into the study. Also, try to think of the long-term gain rather than the short-term gain. This helps to beat procrastination. Though it may seem painful to study in the short term, in the long term you will reap the benefits.

If anyone has any extra tips for getting motivated or even study in general, please don't hesitate to respond.

Last edited:

swifty13

HSC
Thanks for posting! I was wondering how many units u did? I know u put ur ranks in your sig but I don't know what G-Unit and SDD are

minzoir

HSC
Hey swifty13, it's no problem, I did 12 units in year 11 and I have kept them in year 12. I do Vet Entertainment and the entire hsc mark is based only on the external exam, so it is good to have those spare 2 units incase I flunk out in it. G-unit is general math and SDD is Software Design and Development. I'm glad you found this of use!

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
Wished you posted this earlier.. I have three exams this week. Two with mass information to remember and I am barely even halfway :(

The second video is so touching! Thanks for the post :)

Last edited:

cssftw

HSC
OP I freakin hate you, it took me a weeks worth of depression and consoling advice from numerous friends that fucking up my HSC isn't everything. Even ppl on BoS said the same thing, I was planning on purposely getting bit by a blackhouse spider I found on my window sill so I didn't have to sit the HSC. Yet everyone told me, HSC is not everything....

And you have restarted my fears..... oh well... guess I can try the mouldy sandwich in the back of the fridge...

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
OP I freakin hate you, it took me a weeks worth of depression and consoling advice from numerous friends that fucking up my HSC isn't everything. Even ppl on BoS said the same thing, I was planning on purposely getting bit by a blackhouse spider I found on my window sill so I didn't have to sit the HSC. Yet everyone told me, HSC is not everything....

And you have restarted my fears..... oh well... guess I can try the mouldy sandwich in the back of the fridge...
that's not loss of motivation, it's more of a suicidal tendency... go to a doctor.

HelenaJean

HSC

i actually wondered if i could buy vials of virus during last years HSC exams (did half then, doing half now). When you're stressed enough shit like that seemes like a perfectly reasonable idea. It wouldn't have helped me at all in hind sight, my assessment and HSC marks were within 2% of eachother in all subjects. I did not expect that.

I'm so chilled this time around, though. I've done it before and thus can't be intimidated by the magical be-all-and-end-all exam.
I'm confident i'm going to get into university with the effort i've put in so the only reason i'm studying really is so my mum stops nagging and out of guilt for my teachers who've worked hard and deserve good results from their students. Still sucks though :(

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I'm doing my HSC right now and am not motivated to do shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)