For those who get 14/15 for creative writing, please advise. (1 Viewer)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Engage with the question
You advice is not valid if you didn't get >14 :p but neither did I

IMO, you need to answer the question and have sosphicated use of language. My teacher said the beat way to have that is a non linear story

HSC

IMO, you need to answer the question and have sosphicated use of language. My teacher said the beat way to have that is a non linear story
Haha I got 12 which was the highest in my school :p

Nah but seriously teachers constantly say engage with the question and stimulus

Mikasa

HSC

My English teacher hates non-linear stories, while other English teachers like it... T_T it's like English teachers, please make up your mind! Urgh.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

gtfo

Don't worry I used to get almost full marks in creative. Basically all I did was have one thing that inspired me to write the story.
Like maybe just a glass, or a picture, you just build on it. Stay away from stuff like sexual assault/bullying/suicide/murderer whatever because it's actually much more cliche than you think.
Vocab doesn't have to be extravagant - at least mine wasn't. Just make sure you adapt it really well to the stimulus.

nishi4000

HSC
Thanks guys! Mine was basically about blending in a boarding school. I don't think I executed it well enough ==

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
gtfo

Don't worry I used to get almost full marks in creative. Basically all I did was have one thing that inspired me to write the story.
Like maybe just a glass, or a picture, you just build on it. Stay away from stuff like sexual assault/bullying/suicide/murderer whatever because it's actually much more cliche than you think.
Vocab doesn't have to be extravagant - at least mine wasn't. Just make sure you adapt it really well to the stimulus.
gtfo

By non linear, it just makes your writing stand out a bit more as opposed to "this happened, then this....."

And yes what Adrita said; avoid cliches

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys! Mine was basically about blending in a boarding school. I don't think I executed it well enough ==
Have a look at the following links-first one has download links to all three of my powerpoint presentations for my English seminar earlier on this year which includes specific tips on creative writing, the second one-in the thread-download link-first line of promotion to my second Belonging seminar this year, might shed some light on how to excel in creative writing. One small tip-perhaps avoid a school story if you can, teachers really want to see story thematic concerns that extends beyond that of an 18 year old, and make sure you answer the question-good luck:)
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4E93D702B4F03D65&id=4E93D702B4F03D65!105
http://community.boredofstudies.org...your-hsc-trials-free-seminars-99-student.html

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Avoid cliche expressions, try and employ the use of "bigger" techniques like allegory, motif, etc. You really need a strong idea with creative writing because even if your writing is bad, you still get awarded for strong ideas. Not sure how often the reverse happens though, because usually poor ideas will let down any sophistication in writing.

If your setting is overused, either find a new setting or do something different with it.

nishi4000

HSC
Have a look at the following links-first one has download links to all three of my powerpoint presentations for my English seminar earlier on this year which includes specific tips on creative writing, the second one-in the thread-download link-first line of promotion to my second Belonging seminar this year, might shed some light on how to excel in creative writing. One small tip-perhaps avoid a school story if you can, teachers really want to see story thematic concerns that extends beyond that of an 18 year old, and make sure you answer the question-good luck:)
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4E93D702B4F03D65&id=4E93D702B4F03D65!105
http://community.boredofstudies.org...your-hsc-trials-free-seminars-99-student.html

you are a gem :birthday: ty

science

HSC
Don't go in with a pre-prepared story (no matter what your friends are doing). Our teacher- and i think this is a good idea- is to go in with pre prepared characters and settings- usually you can modify these to any question. If you have a good idea of the protagonists and settings etc earlier, you can always prepare a little description of them which sounds super nice that you can always put in (eg. if you have a super nice few sentences describing an elderly mans aging body and face, there's hardly gonna be a stimulus that is entirely unable to incorporate an old man).

Joshmosh2

HSC
Here are some tips that my teacher gave us. She was a HSC marker at one point and made some observations:
*Try not to do the cliched "teenager in highschool" because apparently it's way overused.
*Circular structures are good - Starting and ending on the same scene/note.
*Flashbacks are good to add more information about the context or the story
*Write in the perspective of another person (instead of a teenager), maybe an adult or child?
Yeah, GL with ur story.

chrisbriodyy

HSC
Try interpreting something you know or you have experienced. I got 14 for mine but also got criticized due to the fact the themes i displayed were "too dark". Do whatever comes naturally i suppose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)