French President Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France (1 Viewer)

MissSarajevo

HSC
PARIS – President Nicolas Sarkozy lashed out Monday at the practice of wearing the Muslim burqa, insisting the full-body religious gown is a sign of the "debasement" of women and that it won't be welcome in France.

The French leader expressed support for a recent call by dozens of legislators to create a parliamentary commission to study a small but growing trend of wearing the full-body garment in France.

In the first presidential address in 136 years to a joint session of France's two houses of parliament, Sarkozy laid out his support for a ban even before the panel has been approved — braving critics who fear the issue is a marginal one and could stigmatize Muslims in France.

"In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy said to extended applause in a speech at the Chateau of Versailles southwest of Paris.

"The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasement — I want to say it solemnly," he said. "It will not be welcome on the territory of the French Republic."

A leading French Muslim group warned against studying the burqa.
:pain:

Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France - Yahoo! News

banco55

HSC
I don't think it's reasonable to ban them outright. Although it would be reasonable for banks to not allow women in burqas into the bank, not allow burqas to be used for any sort of ID photo, worn in court etc. Make it legal for employers not to hire women who wear burqas etc.

France is belatedly trying to deal with the symptoms of being dumb enough to allow a large muslim population to establish itself in France.

Laika_

Banned
HSC
what how the hell are maccas and other fast food franchises going to survive without any burgers
this is an outrage, he cannot do this

Jessica14

HSC
I'm not sure that a country that claims to be pro-choice and allows for the right of religious observance free of persecution should be banning the dress. It is not like a strong majority of the French population or even the Muslim population in France where burqas.

gella

HSC
what how the hell are maccas and other fast food franchises going to survive without any burgers
lol lollol
i read it at burgas, too

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Indeed, and it is our solemn right to eat those burgers.
I do agree Sarkozy when he says that burgers aren't a religious symbol. Quite a pointed observation.

HSC
N/A
Nicolas Sarkozy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personal life

Family background

Nicolas Sarkozy is a Frenchman of mixed national and ethnic ancestry. He is the son of Pál Sárközy de Nagy-Bócsa, a Hungarian aristocrat, and Andrée Mallah, who is of Jewish descent.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Not the smartest move from the man who is the President of what will be a country with a Muslim majority in 15-20 years, but the 'right' decision nonetheless.

You are wrong Jessica. While France was based upon the foundations of liberty and tolerance, a more important part of it is its dedication to being a secular country.

I support Sarkozy, not because I am racist, but because what he was speaking about, even though he might be personally biased, is the basis of the philosophies of liberty which France and subsequently the Western world has been built upon.

The troll pointed out before that Sarkozy has Jewish descendants, but a little while ago, 220 years to be exact, the famous Count Clermont-Tonnere made a speech to the National Assembly in 1789, when he said in reference to the anti-social traditions of the recently liberated Jews of France, and please read all of this because it is the pillar upon which France assimilated the many Jews of France and upon which Sarkozy now attempts to assimilate the Muslims.

"We must refuse everything to the Jews as a nation and accord everything to Jews as individuals. We must withdraw recognition from their judges; they should only have our judges. We must refuse legal protection to the maintenance of the so-called laws of their Judaic organization; they should not be allowed to form in the state either a political body or an order. They must be citizens individually. But, some will say to me, they do not want to be citizens. Well then! If they do not want to be citizens, they should say so, and then, we should banish them. It is repugnant to have in the state an association of non-citizens, and a nation within the nation..."
Seems all those classes I took on the French Revolution are now coming in handy :skip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clermont-Tonnerre

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Hmmm, I don't think that banning burqas was the right move. I thinks it's fine if a religion tells people to dress a certain way; it's when breaking these rules become a violation against the state and not your parents that things get out of hand.

Woteva636

HSC
by banning burqas he's pretty much sayin "muslims you are not welcome"

there'll probably be uproar from the muslim communities, but whether it makes the news is anyone's guess

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
No it's not, It has made the news and will continue to make the news. There is no guessing.

banco55

HSC
by banning burqas he's pretty much sayin "muslims you are not welcome"

there'll probably be uproar from the muslim communities, but whether it makes the news is anyone's guess
Wait until the barbarians start burning cars and then it will make the news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)