Freshwater Fishhhh (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi guys,

what was the exact answer for the freshwater question and increase in salinity?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I was a bit iffy with this one, i cant remember totally what i said, one thing i do remember is i said something like if they cant adapt the species could die out, they would need to conserve internal water and remove excess salt

SPED

HSC
how its excretory system being its kidney would be apapted to a freshwater envro...if salinty changed its fucntion would have to change ie drink more water and excrete small amounts of concentrated urine as opposed to its old way of not drinking as much water and excreting large amounts of dilute urine if it didnt adapt it would die from low levels of water cause it would stil b excreting it when it should b

S

Shuter

I said how they would be adapted to fresh water, a rise in salt could make them sick or less energy or die. The less energy or sickness would mean other better suited fish would compete for food causing them to die anyway, that's about it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The increased salt content means less water will osmose through the gills, and hence the fish is excreting water faster than it is coming in, and dies of dehydration.

bobbie212

nothin adapts, rather different variations are selected. but here because the metabolic process were not suited to the increase in salinity as in SPEDs post, it would hav died. i think thats rite

maxximus

something along the lines of:

In the freshwater environment the fish osmoregulates to expel the excess water by creating dilute urine. An increase in salt tampers with this osmoregulation, and osmoregulation would involve reabsorbing water and creating concentrated urine. If the Cod cannot make this adaption, it will die.

or something like that

sgt

i said the cods will either have to adapt to the new environment, perish or change environment. the cod may adapt through enantiostasis and excrete concentrated urine to conserve water. hmmm

HSC
freshwater fish cannot survive at all in saltwater

i know that from having actual fish lol

so thats what i wrote

it will die and the species will be wiped out, there is no chance any characteristic they possess will resist the change

Shawtay

HSC
oh deary me i din think of d dyin part but i wrote abt all d concentrated urine and wateva

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i wrote about the kidneys usually excreting water and ammonia so would have to change/adapt blah blah blah wouldn't be able to cope with salt. am i the only one who also talked bout resources??? *worried look* after bit on kidneys i said how other small freshwater fish would similiarly not be able to cope with the change and how the plants that the cod eats wouldn't be able to cope - so the whole freshwater ecosystem shebang wouldn't work...so even if the cod adapted, its food would be gone. sux to be it.

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
I wrote about enantiostasis and I think I mentioned estuarine enviromnents for some reason.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Shuter said:
I said how they would be adapted to fresh water, a rise in salt could make them sick or less energy or die. The less energy or sickness would mean other better suited fish would compete for food causing them to die anyway, that's about it.
You run your mouth off in eco and here, about how you got 90+ raw in both test, then you say that you said shit like that? :rolleyes:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i talked about the upset in osmotic balance...dont know if it was right i just assumed that there would be neeed for water to move through the gills into the water to fix up the concentration or something along those lines

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I haven't seen the questions, you probably should make refence to tonicity as well. i.e. the fish is hypotonic to the surrounding as salt increases....

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
enantiostasis...
It would have an impact on the osmosis through its gills and how much water it lost so youd have to talk about excretion as well as enantiostasis etc etc

jiaezangel_1004

HSC
i wrote something like...some fish may die due to the sudden environment change.
and if they're adapted to it, they excete salty ammonia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)