• Want some good practice on harder HSC questions?
    Our BoS trial exams will be held on:
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext2)
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext1)
    ● 5th October (Chemistry)
    Click here for details on how to register
  • Happy 20 YEARS to us!

functions (1 Viewer)

kkk579

HSC
N/A
in qs like these why is it when we have equations like “f(x)=16 if x<-3” the range is put in a square bracket although the inequality sign isn’t <= or =>??

i thought u only put square brackets when it’s <= or =>

for example “f(x)=5-x of x<-2” and “f(x)=-x^2-1 for x<0” uses normal brackets since they use < or > and not <= or =>. this makes sense as to why they use normal brackets but why are horizontal lines exceptions???

Attachments

kkk579

HSC
N/A
is it because it’s a straight line that means y would be = to 16 anyways so although the equation doesn’t state that it’s <= or => u can directly assume it??
if that makes sense

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
in qs like these why is it when we have equations like “f(x)=16 if x<-3” the range is put in a square bracket although the inequality sign isn’t <= or =>??

i thought u only put square brackets when it’s <= or =>

for example “f(x)=5-x of x<-2” and “f(x)=-x^2-1 for x<0” uses normal brackets since they use < or > and not <= or =>. this makes sense as to why they use normal brackets but why are horizontal lines exceptions???
I think you need to reword some of this and give direct answers instead of being ambiguous and saying "in a square bracket" there are multiple square brackets lol. What is the range for f(x) = 16 etc? Might just be me but I'm kinda confused about what you're asking?

kkk579

HSC
N/A
I think you need to reword some of this and give direct answers instead of being ambiguous and saying "in a square bracket" there are multiple square brackets lol. What is the range for f(x) = 16 etc? Might just be me but I'm kinda confused about what you're asking?
square bracket ——> [ ]
i have attached an example of a q down below
my q was basically why do we write the range of f(x)=16 if x<-3 like [16, 16] if the inequality sign is not >= or =<.
is it because it’s a straight line so we can directly assume y=16 which is why we write in in [ ] instead of ( )

Attachments

kkk579

HSC
N/A
square bracket ——> [ ]
i have attached an example of a q down below
my q was basically why do we write the range of f(x)=16 if x<-3 like [16, 16] if the inequality sign is not >= or =<.
is it because it’s a straight line so we can directly assume y=16 which is why we write in in [ ] instead of ( )
in short why is the range written as [16,16] and not (16,16)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
in short why is the range written as [16,16] and not (16,16)
Oh ok the reason why you're able to take on 16 is because other values of x will give you the result of 16. So although at f(-3) ≠ 16, when x = -4,
f(-4) = 16 meaning 16 exists in the "range" of the function hence square brackets. It's kinda weird how they considered [16,16] a range cause it's really just a point lol.

kkk579

HSC
N/A
Oh ok the reason why you're able to take on 16 is because other values of x will give you the result of 16. So although at f(-3) ≠ 16, when x = -4,
f(-4) = 16 meaning 16 exists in the "range" of the function hence square brackets. It's kinda weird how they considered [16,16] a range cause it's really just a point lol.
i’m kind of confused why did u use -3 and -4
also what do u mean by existing in the range

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
but why do we use square brackets instead of normal brackets???
sorry i’m just vv confused
If 16 exist in the range of the function then use []

If not exist use ()

I have proven that 16 exist by taking the case of x = -4.

Therefore, use square brackets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)