FX5200 or FX5700? (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i've been ringing around a few computer places asking for quotes for a desktop, and a lot have been saying that i should get a geforce fx5700 instead of a 5200, which they reckon is just crap and entry level and i can't play any games on it. do u reckon they're rite? do u think the extra 170 dollars is worth it for a 5700 if i'm only an occasional gamer and not into FPS?

asdf

HSC
Yes 5200 is shit! But i would go for the Radeon 9600xt which will beat the 5700 in directx 9 games. Opengl based games are marginally slower than 5700 though (not by much). If you will be playing directx 9 based games DONT get the FX cards (ie 5700)! 9600xt will also last longer (you can get them for around $250 or less). Good Luck. :)

idan

HSC
Yeah, go for the Radeon. Depending on what you'r price range is I suggest the 9600XT ($250 - $350) or the 9800 Pro ($500 - $650). Search around for prices, there is a thread on online stores around here somewhere, shipping shouldn't be too much.

Do you know how to physically install it?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
www.computerfaction.com.au

what do you mean $170 more?

it is $219 now. prolly cheaper since these prices aren't updated regularly

even just getting a 5600 is good enough..... if you don't play many games, just run newer games with the graphics turned down a bit.

i have a MX440-8x and i can run all games at lans

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bro srsly, go get the Radeon 9600 (~$160)... if you wanna splurge, get the 9600XT (~$250).

Winston

HSC
Yes i'd like to voice my opinion, if you want this PC you're installing your new GFX card on go with a non nVidia based product, the next version of Windows does not like nVidia much at all, well from internal sources wise, nVidia products aren't good. And i hate it as well, go the Raedon's.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
so basically i should change my specs and go for a radeon 9600? which i think is cheaper than a 5700 anyway.

Originally posted by Ragerunner
I've give you my TNT2 :D
no thnx, i've already got one.

ok, if i want a comp basically for uni assignments, internet, occasional gaming (like nfs underground, war 3 tft), music management (i've got a net md), and some basic photoshoping and stuff, can u guys see anything wrong with these specs?

P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB
512 DDR SDRAM PC3200
120Gb 7200RPM 8Mb cache HDD IDE
Radeon 9600 128 Mb
Sb LIve! digital entertainment 5.1
creative 4.1 speakers
optical cordless kb + mouse
modem, floppy and that crap
xp home
motherboard that can handle the above,
case with front usb ports (miditower, 350W PSU)

price estimates? any changes i should make (like boost the psu perhaps?)

thnx guys :p

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
and when's longhorn coming out, and will those specs suffice for it?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
and when's longhorn coming out, and will those specs suffice for it?
Well MS do make thinks workable with older PC's obviously but i mean, theres no 100% facts as to the requirements for the PC wise, the planned release is sometime 2005, but they might push it to 2006 but i doubt that, thats why im waiting till longhorn appears to purchase a new PC. I know for sure specs wise it will be demanding, and one tip for you is, 32 bit processors will be outdated soon enough, its getting into the 64 bit age, its just sort of like the SD RAM to DDR RAM transition.

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi
dont get normal 9600 or that SE shit

either pro or XT

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
so would u suggest waiting for 64 bit processors? i know amd have already released one, but i don't like amd, overheats

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
but pro and xt r expensive, i don't wanna spend too much on a video card, if i'm not a hardcore gamer. i'm fine with turning down the graphics if i have to

Winston

HSC
so would u suggest waiting for 64 bit processors? i know amd have already released one, but i don't like amd, overheats
Overheating, once again a pre-conceived thought embedded in someones mind, have you been indoctrinated by rumours as well? Although it maybe the case for older generation AMD CPU's like the T-birds overheating, but Pallimino, thoroughbreds and whatever that came after does not over heat, the reason the older ones did was because they did not have the technology where when the CPU reaches a certain temp it shuts itself down automatically and prevents overheating or frying...

What type of configuration do you own right now?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
narh, i'm just saying that amd's tend to require greater cooling than intel processors that's all, so although they may be cheaper, it prbly cancels out with the cost of extra cooling.

right now. i've got a five year old comp

p3 500Mhz
12.8 gb hdd
128 sdram
16mb tnt2 riva
some sb sound card

its enough for uni and internet, but i can't play any new games

Winston

HSC
narh, i'm just saying that amd's tend to require greater cooling than intel processors that's all, so although they may be cheaper, it prbly cancels out with the cost of extra cooling.

right now. i've got a five year old comp

p3 500Mhz
12.8 gb hdd
128 sdram
16mb tnt2 riva
some sb sound card

its enough for uni and internet, but i can't play any new games

maybe spend the 1100 to purchase that PC config u wanted in the other thread...

and no additional cooling is needed uno, u can just use stock cooling, which is the one they provide for u if u purchase the OEM AMD CPU in the box.

asdf

HSC
but pro and xt r expensive, i don't wanna spend too much on a video card, if i'm not a hardcore gamer. i'm fine with turning down the graphics if i have to
You can get a 9600xt for around 250 or less. You can also get the Gexcube 9600xt extreme for around $260 (fastest or second fastest 9600 around). And as stated above dont get SE version!!!:)

About AMD cooling, stock cooling (that comes with the processor) is more than enough for it! And overclocking will still be fine (no extreme overclocks though :p).

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
lol...yeah, i want a new comp before uni, just for a fresh start. and it'll still be a while b4 64 bit processors dominate the market

Winston

HSC
lol...yeah, i want a new comp before uni, just for a fresh start. and it'll still be a while b4 64 bit processors dominate the market
heh ill build it for u

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
u've offered ur services b4 :D

i found a local place that's been around for 10 years, and has two other branches. about $1570, which i think is alrite, cos that includes little stuff like modem, floppy, kb +mouse, software, speakers and stuff that i don't think u included in ur quote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)