• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Gal Pos-cat Neg-an!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

mcsmells

HSC
Gal Pos-cat Neg-an
It is the most extravagent and beautiful contribution towards the art of chemistry this millennia!
Developed and Copyrighted by the Legendary A-Desk
GAL POS-CAT NEG- AN
In a Galvanic cell, the positive electrode is the cathode, whilst the negative electrode is the anode! It is the opposite for an electrolytic cell!
On behalf of the A-Desk, I would like to extend to the rest of the world an invitation to use Gal Pos-Cat Neg-An in all of your chemistry study.
It is extremely beneficial and will aid all of you in your study of the chemistry course
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo A-Desk!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Thank you. :)

However it might be better not to remember the anode and cathode as being negative or positive because you can easily get confused.

An ox (anode = oxidation) is quite easy to remember.

As for the signs, Gal Pos-cat Neg-an is great. :) That's not the way I remembered it though. I did so many exercised in electrochem that it's kind of etched in - anode is negative in Galvanic cells but positive in electrolytic cells.

rama_v

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Thank you. :)

However it might be better not to remember the anode and cathode as being negative or positive because you can easily get confused.

An ox (anode = oxidation) is quite easy to remember.

As for the signs, Gal Pos-cat Neg-an is great. :) That's not the way I remembered it though. I did so many exercised in electrochem that it's kind of etched in - anode is negative in Galvanic cells but positive in electrolytic cells.
Yeah..I always remember it through physics - the cathode is negative in the cathode ray tube, and because i know that you put current into a cathode ray tube its similar to the electrolytic cell. And its just the opposite for the galvanic cell

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
I remember;

oxidation and anode --> start with vowels
reduction and cathode --> start with consonants

and reduction and oxidation in terms of oxidation number.

HSC
i dont even know what a vowel or consonant is, so i just do an ox saw the red cat

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
It seems like a good find, but I prefer 'Red Cat' and 'An Ox' to help remember, and if I want to remember which one is positive or negative I just apply some logic to 'OILRIG'. And rama_v is it seriously that related? Because when I did Physics my teacher said to me "If you use your cathode definitions from Physics in Chemistry, you will fail, and you will die" - well maybe not the "die" bit but you get the point.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
^^^ :confused: What? :confused: ^^^
mcsmells said:
Developed and Copyrighted by the Legendary A-Desk
GAL POS-CAT NEG- AN
In a Galvanic cell, the positive electrode is the cathode, whilst the negative electrode is the anode! It is the opposite for an electrolytic cell!
make sense?

rama_v

HSC
kami said:
It seems like a good find, but I prefer 'Red Cat' and 'An Ox' to help remember, and if I want to remember which one is positive or negative I just apply some logic to 'OILRIG'. And rama_v is it seriously that related? Because when I did Physics my teacher said to me "If you use your cathode definitions from Physics in Chemistry, you will fail, and you will die" - well maybe not the "die" bit but you get the point.
haha nah not really, just somethign i remember it by, i must be weird lol

rama_v

HSC
The_highwayman said:
JUST A QUESTION THAT ALWAYS STUMPS ME:
With the An Ox/Red Cat rule, does that mean that the anode is oxidised? Or is it the Oxidant? similarly with the cathode.

Thanks!
It just means that oxidation occurs there. I think sometimes the anode can be oxidised in certain cases, depending on what its made of and its potential. Same goes with cathode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)