Game as ORM? (1 Viewer)

faxon

HSC
I've got a game that is littered with techniques and ideas on the journey... but would the eng department/hsc markers mark me down/assume im a dickhead for using it as an other related material? Is it even allowed in the syllabus?

It's an adventure game, so it's got proper scenes and characterisation... i guess i could shiftily describe it as "an interactive visual text" or something or other...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I don't think a game can be appropriately deemed as a text....lol

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
better check wid ur english teachers first. lol

but i think they'd let u ... use the CG scenes for techniques :)

watkinzez

HSC
Depends on what the game in question is, you shouldn't be marked down. I was contemplating doing ICO as an imaginative journey, but eventually opted for something else, mainly so I could compare texts more easily.

Games as viable texts is an issue that should really get more respect. Not that I'm talking about the Grand Theft Autos of the world, or even Final Fantasy (very few RPGs go beyond plot driven material), but there are some titles that have the potential to be studied.

WikiLover89

HSC
Games should be fine as long as you can relate it to the AoS:cool:
Im thinking of using either FFX(PS2) or Fahrenheit(XBOX)
because both have very good inner journey References

princessrach

HSC
I know of someone who used the window from playschool as their text - not the whole show, just the window. If you do it well enough you wont get marks taken off for using a game. It would be unfair, like taking marks off someone for using a novel - there both texts so there both fine to use. Go for it!

[trent]

HSC
i wouldn't...i wanted to use the board game Cluedo for one of my crime fiction found texts in Ext 1, and my teacher strongly advised againgst it (ie - ripped me to shreds). Founds texts are meant to be original, sophisticated and display textual integrity (coming together of language and structure, illustrating meaning and value :p)

...mind you for AOS it might not be such a big deal.

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
I used N (Way of the Ninja) for my trial. The question was about stages of the journey, so it had potential.

It didn't go well, but I ran out of time.

My advice would be to make it accessible to the marker, focus on visual and storyline aspects rather than gameplay. I made a game for Industrial Technology and the Multimedia markers couldn't understand it, so I can't imagine English teachers coping :p

Of course if you're of the view that if they don't understand it they're likely to assume it's brilliant, by all means talk about gameplay aspects.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The Board of Studies is of the view that any object can be considered a text, so you're well within your rights to analyse a game. This does not mean however, that any object is worth analysing or easy to analyse. So students should feel free to analyse things from other mediums such as video games, but make sure it is a game you are capable of analysing in a way that it makes a useful contribution to your essay.

[trent said:
i wouldn't...i wanted to use the board game Cluedo for one of my crime fiction found texts in Ext 1, and my teacher strongly advised againgst it (ie - ripped me to shreds). Founds texts are meant to be original, sophisticated and display textual integrity (coming together of language and structure, illustrating meaning and value )
The issue with the above example is that while Cluedo may be a valid text with valid statements that could be made from it...there is still a good chance it would not be useful with certain type of questions on genre theory. Extension also requires a far more sophisticated and cohesive thesis than Advanced or Standard, so its a bit of a different ball game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)