• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Gen Eds (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Few questions relating to Gen Eds:

1. How many UOC of Gen Eds do we need to complete?
2. Can I do them all during the summer sessions starting this year? (read: after second semester of this year, where I would've done 48 UOC)
3. What sort of workload should I expect doing 1-2 GenEd subjects in each summer session?
4. Anyone got any tips on gettin through Gen Eds with minimal hassle? (e.g. when to do them, which ones are bludge ones, which ones are interesting ones, etc).

Cheers!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
1. 12UOC
2. No I doubt you can do all during one summer session... Do you really want to get them over and done with?
3. Gen eds is bludgy. If you pick the 3UOC gen ed courses that is (as opposed to taking 6UOC mainstream courses)
4. Nope. Poke around at the UNSW Handbook and see what suits you (in terms of interest etc.)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Not all gen eds are bludgy. You need to choose the right ones (eg. internet-delivered course and exam)

Do ones in winter session - thats already 3uoc done in 1-2wks.

You can substitute up to 12uoc of gen eds with real subjects from other faculties (subject to approval that they meet gen ed requirements,ie, theyre not related to what you are doing). I strongly recommend students take up the financial maths subjects offered in the School of Maths. Refer to Handbook (the entry on gen eds) for further details.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
financial math...whats it like? what sorta stuff do u learn. i was gonna take gen math 1b but then i was exempt. damn you qma

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Exeter said:
financial math...whats it like? what sorta stuff do u learn. i was gonna take gen math 1b but then i was exempt. damn you qma
Options pricing. (does this rhetorical question satisfy the 10 character limit!?)

Acid

HSC
As if i'd ever choose a Gen Ed course that involved Maths!!!

I was thinking of doing something in the Media and Communications degree program. Is there anywhere online that lists all of the Gen Ed subjects you can do?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Im gonna do cyberspace law, and design and creation of computer games. wohoo, that'll be one comp lab i wont skip.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Grizzly said:
Im gonna do cyberspace law, and design and creation of computer games. wohoo, that'll be one comp lab i wont skip.
Why not concepts of physical fitness and health?

ricenoodles

HSC
I was told by a friend that when we choose our 12UOC geneds, each 3UOC gened must be from a different faculty (i.e. 4 geneds from 4 different faculties). Is this true?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ricenoodles said:
I was told by a friend that when we choose our 12UOC geneds, each 3UOC gened must be from a different faculty (i.e. 4 geneds from 4 different faculties). Is this true?
Nah that's not true,

You can choose a maximum of 6UOC of gen ed from any one faculty (excluding your own).

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Not all gen eds are bludgy. You need to choose the right ones (eg. internet-delivered course and exam)
Which geneds are this? Do you have any examples, how would you find out how the course is delivered without having to actually enrol into them first?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)