Gendered Langauge Essay Questiosn (1 Viewer)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Just to help out teh 2005s who have to do gendered langauge these r all the essay / creative questions that i was given this year - the best way to do this course is practice questions so enjoy

finally typed up all the essay questions i could find in my folder - they may be some floating around elsewhere but this would be the majority - good luck for everyone doing this course next year and yeah if u need any advice feel free to post/pm/email me cause i'm happy to help out

Gendered Language – Critical Response
Note – all questions need to refer to Prescribed Text (Tannen) and one other prescribed text (12th Night / Elizabeth / Floor of Heaven) and your own related material

· ‘Language at its most vital compels us to feel its potential for conveying and transforming culture and values’ – To what extent has this been in the case study of the texts in your elective

· Image an encounter in which you feel challenged by the use of gendered language
Reflect on the implications of this encounter in a series of journal entries
In your response make clear your increasing awareness of the outcomes of the use of gendered language

· ‘Gossip’, ‘girl-talk’, ‘femspeak’, ‘blokespeak’ – these are loaded terms, carrying assumptions about who is speaking and what kinds of this are being said
Reflect on the limitations and/or possibilities inherit in gender specific way of expressing oneself, considering the extent to which men and women draw upon gendered language codes

· How does language explore assumptions relating to gender and social roels in the texts you have studied?

· “We are what we say. We construct ourselves with the words that we use”
Using two set texts and texts of your own choosing, discuss how each composer explores the concept of Gendered Language. What parallels or patters can be evidenced b/w the texts with regards to social roles and expectations and the way opposing genders manipulate language to achieve power, despite differing mediums and time settings

· The ultimate task of language is to create identity for the composer, the responder and the characters in the text. If language is controlled by a single gender then language becomes a tool to subvert rather than promote identity

· To what extent is the view that cross gender communication is doomed to failure represented in the texts you have studied?

· “As much as language can be used to include it can be used to exclude
How does the language of at least TWO of your prescribed texts and other material work to set in concrete the gender roles society assigns?

· “It is inevitable that a society is both reflected and shaped by the language its members use”
How true is this statement from your study?

· “Language is a power. It creates identify and significance for some while diminishing or marginalizing others”
How have the texts you have studied demonstrated or challenged this statement?

· 2004 HSC
“English has eccentricities. Machines and vehicles are figuratively feminine. Of a boat – ‘she runs well before the wind’. Of a car – ‘she goes like a dream’. Chris Forde, writing in the Herald, suggest that vehicles are feminine “because they never stop costing you money; more as they get on in years…you never stop loving them in spit of this. It could be a control thing. Boats, cars, machines – you can turn them on/off at will”

Use this text as a starting point for an essay which you evaluate the relationship between power, gender and language. IN your essay draw on your knowledge and understanding of TWO prescribed texts as well as other prescribed texts for your elective.

Gendered Langauge - Creative / analytical

· Using one of the text you have studied as stimulus for your ideas, compose a story set in another context of your own choosing
Your writing should reflect your understating of the relationship b/w language and values

· Write the transcript of a talk show titled Literary Hour
Two scholars in the area of your elective have been invited to consider the value of the elective to contemporary responders
Write the transcript of the discussion
In your transcript refer to TWO prescribed texts and TWO related texts of your own choosing

· You are a radio presenter
Recently a reviewer of the cities major newspaper has written a highly critical review of some of the prescribed texts that you have studied for this elective
You are to conduct a radio discussion b/w the reviewer and two authors of the prescribed texts
Write the transcript of the discussion

· The national magazine “language and values” has asked you to contribute a piece which defines the module you have studied. You may write in any form you think applies to and suits your study.
You must include a half page description of the visual representation you want to be on the cover of your article.

· Imagine you are the convener of a seminar that has been arranged to discuss the following “Language usually reflects, rather then shapes culture and values”
This seminar will involve you and four authors or editors of texts that you have studied
Write the transcript of the discussion that might take place at this seminar

· Write a speech for an audience who would be interested in your elective. The topic for your speech is “Is language really that powerful?”

· Compose a feature article about the issue of gendered language for the feature section of a popular newspaper. In your article you should reflect your understanding of the way language shapes our lives and values

· Compose a speech that you would deliver at the launch of your new book on gendered language and its relevance in our society. The speech should identify the title of the book and discuss how it explores the relationship b/w language and values

· Compose a text that is based on an issue that has been raised in one of your prescribed texts. Your text should show the ways in which language reflects culture and values associated with the Elective you have studied in Module C
Your text type could be a short play, essay or any other suitable text
You must specify the issue and the text used as the basis of your response

· 2004 HSC – “Language is a virus” – Use this as the basis for a piece of imaginative writing that explores and expresses the complex nature of language. In your response draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have studied in Module C

Last edited:

_Benji_

HSC
Your a legend......i just wrote a gruelling 1700 word essay on Tannen and 3 related texts....im sure these will help me battle the rest of the course!!

So what other schools are doing Gendered Language for 05??

Klunk

HSC
Benji thats Bennita isnt it :p im just finishing my essay now GENDERED LANGUAGE SUCKS !!!! :mad:

Klunk

HSC
Thanx for the questions what did u end up getting for your UAI ?

_Benji_

HSC
jo? It's Benita to u.
btw i think she just did the hsc.....UAI not released till dec....duhhhhhh

Wait is this Clancy???!! wow....how'd you find your way here...didn't think anyone else from our year came here (well cept my group).

Last edited:

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC

hey - nice to c the new Gendered langauage students using the forum this year - kinda dead last year -
yeah havent got UAI's back 14 days...

i dont think u'll find many schools do this anymore - i think with us this year there were about 4 = about 100 students - but this year our yr12s do crime fiction so that is another school pulled out

i think u'll find u have a very small canditure-

have u decided what compuslary texts u r studying?

if u guys have any quetsions or need some help feel free to post away - i actually got into explaining htis topic during the course of the year and would be pleased to help out

good luck with all of it

_Benji_

HSC
Thanks!!
We're doing 12th Night, and some collection of poems...cant remember who by/what it's called.

Anyway our school is Mullumbimby High, anyone else know other schools doing it?

Something that has been going around is that in your ext 1 response you actually need to address a few techniques....so maybe for Tannen its the use of everyday examples and stuff.....otherwise you may not get into band 6.....is this true?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
_Benji_ said:
Thanks!!
We're doing 12th Night, and some collection of poems...cant remember who by/what it's called.

Anyway our school is Mullumbimby High, anyone else know other schools doing it?

Something that has been going around is that in your ext 1 response you actually need to address a few techniques....so maybe for Tannen its the use of everyday examples and stuff.....otherwise you may not get into band 6.....is this true?
Tannen doesn't really use techniques as such - in her work u wont find similies or metaphors - what u will find u use tannen for is to backup research from ur supplimentary text.

trust me when u do 12th night it becomes alot easier - what u will do is get tannen's theories down pact - and then apply them to 12th NIght and show how Shakespeare demonstrates tannen's theories (here is where u would talk about techniques)

they probably dont apply to 12th night as much though. We did Elizabeth (the film study rather then the poetry) and i personaly liked it much more then 12th NIght because u could relate film techniques in relation to tannen.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Seeking agreement: Oh why must I defy my masculine genderlect?!

Hey, posting this belated reply, simply because i am procrastinating...

Anyways, Our school (All Saints College, Saint Mary's Campus) is also doing Gendered Language. Just thought u might like to know...

I am frustrated...i cant help but analyse everyones conversations based on Tannen's theories! my friends think i wierd...i need help: Could somebody please "match experiences"??

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Hey, posting this belated reply, simply because i am procrastinating...

Anyways, Our school (All Saints College, Saint Mary's Campus) is also doing Gendered Language. Just thought u might like to know...

I am frustrated...i cant help but analyse everyones conversations based on Tannen's theories! my friends think i wierd...i need help: Could somebody please "match experiences"??
hahahaha oh the joys of this subject - must warn you the analysising of conversations does not stop - once you get that tannen stuff in your head it doesn't seem to leave... its really really anoying after a while

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
MissSavage29 said:
hahahaha oh the joys of this subject - must warn you the analysising of conversations does not stop - once you get that tannen stuff in your head it doesn't seem to leave... its really really anoying after a while
I havent found it incredibly annoying hitherto - just that everyone else does...Although it is really quite funny when i am able to tell people why they might be talking in such a way or why they think someone else they are arguing with is in the wrong. It really is quite rewarding to try and stop all that complementary schismogenesis... i guess i am just imparting information to negotiate status. Dammit! i'm doing it again!

_Benji_

HSC
YAY another gen lang person!! :D

yes..... i have the same experiences..... but the thing it im awful at the whole with-holding analysis thing in conversations...... so my friends think its horrible that im doing a course which actually encourages this analysing!!
its fun though..... i love just blaming things on guys who just want to reinforce their masculinity!! XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)