General maths or no maths at all? (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
Hey, so I'm currently in 5.3 maths and failing (20-30% in my exams) while putting in effort. I'll admit probably not enough effort since I struggle motivating myself to do my homework some of the time, but I try. Maths just intimidates me and I honestly don't like it at all. Initially, my plan was not to choose maths in year 11 but my interest in a commerce degree changed my mind. I know I'll struggle a whole lot if I choose 2 unit so it's out of the question but then there's general. If I put in the effort I'm sure I can get in the 90's but I really don't have an interest in maths and I'm scared that I'll just slack off. The second major thing is scaling. I'm aiming for a 98+ atar and I'm worried that the scaling will just ruin my score drastically. Should I do general maths or should I just stick with my strengths and do no maths at all? Please give me advice. I really can't decide. Thankyou.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
unless you think you can recover and also have a requirement for it to get into a course; then apart from that maybe not.
you can always do a bridging course if it is needed for a particular uni course.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
My big advice to you in that situation is to stay away from maths.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, so I'm currently in 5.3 maths and failing (20-30% in my exams) while putting in effort. I'll admit probably not enough effort since I struggle motivating myself to do my homework some of the time, but I try. Maths just intimidates me and I honestly don't like it at all. Initially, my plan was not to choose maths in year 11 but my interest in a commerce degree changed my mind. I know I'll struggle a whole lot if I choose 2 unit so it's out of the question but then there's general. If I put in the effort I'm sure I can get in the 90's but I really don't have an interest in maths and I'm scared that I'll just slack off. The second major thing is scaling. I'm aiming for a 98+ atar and I'm worried that the scaling will just ruin my score drastically. Should I do general maths or should I just stick with my strengths and do no maths at all? Please give me advice. I really can't decide. Thankyou.
There are many areas of commerce and not all of them involve heavy maths.

HR, marketing, accounting, financial planning etc... only finance and economics does.

In regards to your situation, don't do subjects based on scaling but on how good you think you'll do in them. I'd recommend you do no maths at all.

calamebe

HSC
Yeah, I personally love math but I'd recommend against it for you. You can try and learn any important maths that you'll need in commerce in your own time (not too sure what math is needed in commerce though).

mollytee

HSC
Geography didn't run so I was stuck between choosing CAFS or maths. I really don't wanna do CAFS and I didn't wanna do maths when I finalised it. Now I'm second guessing myself and everyone keeps telling me how commerce really needs 2 unit maths. Should I push myself and do maths or just do cafs and drop it later?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Geography didn't run so I was stuck between choosing CAFS or maths. I really don't wanna do CAFS and I didn't wanna do maths when I finalised it. Now I'm second guessing myself and everyone keeps telling me how commerce really needs 2 unit maths. Should I push myself and do maths or just do cafs and drop it later?
remember you can always drop as long as you have picked 10 other units (if maths/cafs is your last 2 required units then you can always drop it after year 11)

si2136

HSC
N/A
What would you like to do in University?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I personally love math but I'd recommend against it for you. You can try and learn any important maths that you'll need in commerce in your own time (not too sure what math is needed in commerce though).
What makes you think so?

calamebe

HSC
What makes you think so?
I didn't mean do the whole general course in his own time, rather maybe learn the financial maths topic, which I'd assume is important in some commerce areas. Obviously the large majority (99%) of his study should be on his subjects he chooses but if he really wants to do a commerce degree that requires maths, some tutoring or learning a little bit of maths by himself can't hurt.

photastic

HSC
If you feel maths is gonna hinder you, stay away from it and destroy your other subjects to get that atar. For commerce, except for finance and financial economics and economics related majors, you do not need year 11-12 maths. Otherwise do an abridging course for maths afterwards if you feel you need it.

However, for UNSW and USYD, I highly recommend you do extension 1 mathematics abridged course since one of the compulsory units is business statistics and that has some extension 1 mathematics (like less than 30% of the subject) but I know many who did not do the abridging course and still did well.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just avoid finance, actuarial and economics when you get to Commerce at uni and you should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)