General thoughts: Maths SC (1 Viewer)

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
don't worry bhaskar a couple of my friends did that aswell - missed out on the whole written section =[..

it wasn't like hard although there were a couple of questions that were a bit hmm .. but i thought it was long didn't ahve time to check over. btw everyone at my school does advanced and i'm in one of the two top classes.

i'm not very good at non-calc tho. i forgot there was a formulae sheet and proceeded to put in the wrong rhombus formula haha oh well its just one mark.

mook281090

HSC
bhaskar i think we should form a support group for people who left out section 2 part b. I can't believe i didn't see it. I was pretty much shaking in anger when the papers were being collected...

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
I stuffed the last question of the non calculator section arghh!! I measured the angles and drew the lines instead of using a compass!!

There was one question I was stuck with, the one with the triangle area and twice the area etc. Guessed 90 degrees and got it correct =)

Other than that, the exam was easy. I almost missed out the last section but luckily I checked through my papers. I was like oh crap!! Lmao xP

HSC
timmiitippii said:
There were only 2 questions which i didnt know how to do and that was the question that ask of the angle in the quadrilateral and they give u the 50' and the 120' and tells u that the other 2 angles are bisected and it meets at a point..:confused:
Anyways what did u guys get for that question???

:bomb:
i said let the "dot" = x and the "x" = y
2x + 2y = 190 (360 - 50 - 120)
x + y = 95 degrees
x + y + 120 = 215 degrees
so the answer was 360-215 = 145

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
How did people go about answering the question involving the equilateral triangle grouped with the other triangle that had double the base and twice the area ...or something like that?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
As a maths moron, I didn't find the SC to be that easy. I mean, it wasn't too hard, it just wasn't a breeze like everyone in older years says it is. Oh well. It's not like I'm doing it next year....I'm predicting around a Band 4.

Deluge

HSC
Mark576 said:
How did people go about answering the question involving the equilateral triangle grouped with the other triangle that had double the base and twice the area ...or something like that?
I got 90 for that.

I got frustrated at my drawing which had progressively become messier because I kept drawing parallel lines, lol.

My friends also got 90.

Sigh, how did every one go with the very last question? My friends said that more than one was right... but I only got 303 since 101 + 2 x 101 = 303? :S

iEdd

HSC
mook281090 said:
are our marks scaled up?
No.. If they scaled up your marks, they'd have to scale everyone's. If they did that it would be the same proportions as it is now...
Every mark in SC becomes a percentage and as it's all the same test for everyone, therefore there's absolutely no need to scale.
Scaling is a system in the HSC that enables people to have a choice in their subjects and compare them fairly based on difficulty. For example, 80% in Maths extension 2 is worth a lot more than 80% in say, PE theory.

Neurox

HSC
So are you saying that 1% of the students will get band 6? If they didnt scale your marks, nearly everyone would get band 4s and 5s. I think they will scale your marks, based on difficulty, because in order to achieve band 6, your scaled mark must be 90+.

iEdd

HSC
My understanding was that if your raw mark was equal to or above 90% that you got a band 6. Definitely achievable.

Neurox

HSC
shit..then my only chances of band 6s are in maths science and maybe english

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
``jes2iicah-- said:
i disagree ppls!! the question asked how much longer it would take her for her to overlap that guy a second time.....

so taht means;; with logic you would...
*in teh first lap the girl will overlap him with a 4 sec infront lead
... understand??
* therefore it would take only another 12 sec before she would over take him agen??

But thats i think... comments?
I sort of used your logic, but I received 80.
Every lap, the girl shaves 4 seconds off the guy's time, and it takes her 4 times untill she's lapped him, so you times 4 by 20 because she takes 4 laps and each lap equals 20 seconds, so 4 x 20 = 80.
I don't know if I'm right, I pretty much guessed. lol.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
oK i didn't do maths, science or english this year(last year lol),
but how was it?
any hard questions that your not sure bout.

With scaling im pretty sure there is no such word, but they seem to do their usual crap with changing your mark,
Anyone knows wen we are gonna get our results back.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Telekinetik said:
I sort of used your logic, but I received 80.
Every lap, the girl shaves 4 seconds off the guy's time, and it takes her 4 times untill she's lapped him, so you times 4 by 20 because she takes 4 laps and each lap equals 20 seconds, so 4 x 20 = 80.
I don't know if I'm right, I pretty much guessed. lol.
That's the answer I got too. Don't know if we're right or not, but yeah, I answered the question the same way you did.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i think in total the maths test was quite easy.. im in advanced maths so that could help but i think alot of was logic and time management for section 1.. i finished section 1 every answer with about 4 mins left.. i thought that was a good effort... section 2 was easy.. there were a few difficult MC ( i.e the last question) wot was the answer? I GOT 7/8 FOR I DONT THINK IT WAS RIGHT... neway..i thought our trial was hard than it, only 15 ppl in the yr passed it.. and i mean i got 76% abnd that was 2nd!!

peace

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Yes the answer for that Q was 80- my maths teacher gave us the answers today

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Jachie said:
That's the answer I got too. Don't know if we're right or not, but yeah, I answered the question the same way you did.
yay. I hope we're right, but you should never trust my math skills, ever. I'm an english/humanities buff; I dislike mathematics. o__o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)