General Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Raolan

HSC
I'm confident I got 90+/100. Honestly was pretty easy. Only thing I had any trouble with was the second last question in interrelationship (before the robot, which was awesome)

Zanderax

HSC
I think the paper was fiddly but not too difficult. It was easy to stuff up but if you planned everything properly then it was easy to answer.

Except for Interrelation. That's shit's crazy.

gdt

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I was undecided on the telephone numbers, decided to go with int, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was string.
Phone numbers are not integers. For example, the phone number 000 is not the same as the phone number 0. A phone number is an ordered set of digits. An ordered set of characters -- otherwise called a string -- is a close approximation to an ordered set of digits, and thus would be the most correct answer.

hjed

HSC
Phone numbers are not integers. For example, the phone number 000 is not the same as the phone number 0. A phone number is an ordered set of digits. An ordered set of characters -- otherwise called a string -- is a close approximation to an ordered set of digits, and thus would be the most correct answer.
You'd think so, but I'm pretty sure I got a trial question where it was the other way round. (Basically, I decided to choose the type I though they wanted as supposed to the one I would actually use, which was silly of me)

hjed

HSC
when it asked to compare 2 development approaches i wrote the advantages for agile and disadvantages of structured - is this the right way to answer the question?
It's usually better to mention briefly at least one advantage of the one you're not supporting and one disadvantage of the one you are supporting. However, you could still get full marks it depends on the marking criteria. (I think that was a three mark question? In which case you are fine)

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Anyone feel like uploading the multiple choice section? I feel left out having not sat the test :( also it will help us know for sure what hte correct answers are

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
nvm, board of studies uploaded the exam paper! Here are the answers:

1C
2D
3B
4B
5C
6A
7A (this is not ambiguous. Phone numbers can start with 0, can have non-digit characters e.g. "+614...", etc.)
8D
9A
10C
11B (debatable - archiving to a DVD could be considered making a copy of the software, which is prohibited by most proprietary licences)
12D
13B
14A
15B
16D
17B
18A
19C
20A

Anyone disagree? Anyone get full marks according to these answers?

xer0

Sydney     ATAR Aim:   85+      Penis Size:  9001
HSC
nvm, board of studies uploaded the exam paper! Here are the answers:

1C
2D
3B
4B
5C
6A
7A (this is not ambiguous. Phone numbers can start with 0, can have non-digit characters e.g. "+614...", etc.)
8D
9A
10C
11B (debatable - archiving to a DVD could be considered making a copy of the software, which is prohibited by most proprietary licences)
12D
13B
14A
15B
16D
17B
18A
19C
20A

Anyone disagree? Anyone get full marks according to these answers?

I got 5 and 8 wrong.
I'm pretty sure you got 19 wrong. It's B not C.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
I felt there was a lot of drawing and not much algorithms at all.

Confident mid-90s.
Pity about the lack of algorithms. Last year's paper was chock-full of them.

You lost 3 marks on MCQ and 1 mark on the exponent thing. So you're already down to 96, and that's on a paper with lots of subjective questions. I wouldn't count your eggs before they've hatched if I were you =\

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
I got 5 and 8 wrong.
I'm pretty sure you got 19 wrong. It's B not C.
19 is definitely C. The code they gave has a bug in it (check the while loop condition), so they're trying to debug by making getValue into a stub that's guaranteed to return a number in the correct range. The point of the subroutine is to get the user to input a number in the range, so it wouldn't make sense to remove the lines that do user input.

xer0

HSC
19 is definitely C. The code they gave has a bug in it (check the while loop condition), so they're trying to debug by making getValue into a stub that's guaranteed to return a number in the correct range. The point of the subroutine is to get the user to input a number in the range, so it wouldn't make sense to remove the lines that do user input.
The question before it with the original code says "The subroutine getValue is designed to return a number within a given range".
The new code returns a number within the given range in less lines hence greater efficiency. So how is B wrong? ("To test whether the lines marked ‘REM can be removed for greater efficiency")

hjed

HSC
The question before it with the original code says "The subroutine getValue is designed to return a number within a given range".
The new code returns a number within the given range in less lines hence greater efficiency. So how is B wrong? ("To test whether the lines marked ‘REM can be removed for greater efficiency")
That was my conclusion as well, I didn't notice the error though... both could be argued correct

Also Q4 is A, encryption does not prevent piracy because the user has to be able to decrypt the code to run it and can then redistribute it. Site license does prevent piracy because the software must be on that site with contact to the license server to run. This is what it says in the Davis book FYI.

Q20 is C, do a desk check on it. Note if a > b it will jump to the label else. In A it then stores b in c, when it should store a in c (as C does)

Pity about the lack of algorithms. Last year's paper was chock-full of them.

You lost 3 marks on MCQ and 1 mark on the exponent thing. So you're already down to 96, and that's on a paper with lots of subjective questions. I wouldn't count your eggs before they've hatched if I were you =\
From practises and trials I tend to do worse in the multiple choice than in the long answers. From what people have said here and what I realised in the exam I would be surprised if I lost more than 5 marks in the short answer. (I wrote the required length for full marks in each quasiton there was one other question where I don't think I was correct though).

Assuming you are correct about 19 that means I got 18/20 in multiple choice.

Last edited:

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Considering how goldy went in SDD last year I'm fairly sure his answers would be correct lol.
Hey I still lost a mark on the multiple choice section last year :p (although I'm pretty sure my answer was correct and BOS is wrong)

B is wrong because it misses the point of the question. The question is essentially asking you "why did the programmer comment these lines out?" Since the function demands user input, its efficiency would not be a concern - obviously you can make a program more efficient by removing the parts requiring user input, in the same way that you could make MS Word more efficient by commenting out all the code that handles word processing. This would be a completely unproductive exercise.

On the other hand, the SDD syllabus emphasises the use of stubs for developing and debugging. The code in question 19 is a textbook example of a stub. The author replaces an input-dependent function with a stub function that is guaranteed to return a result within the desired range. This would be the correct answer even if the code was perfectly correct, but the exam writers put a bug in the code to make the scenario even clearer.

xer0

HSC
Hey I still lost a mark on the multiple choice section last year :p (although I'm pretty sure my answer was correct and BOS is wrong)

B is wrong because it misses the point of the question. The question is essentially asking you "why did the programmer comment these lines out?" Since the function demands user input, its efficiency would not be a concern - obviously you can make a program more efficient by removing the parts requiring user input, in the same way that you could make MS Word more efficient by commenting out all the code that handles word processing. This would be a completely unproductive exercise.

On the other hand, the SDD syllabus emphasises the use of stubs for developing and debugging. The code in question 19 is a textbook example of a stub. The author replaces an input-dependent function with a stub function that is guaranteed to return a result within the desired range. This would be the correct answer even if the code was perfectly correct, but the exam writers put a bug in the code to make the scenario even clearer.

Oh shit.. There goes another mark lol. thanks for the explanation though.

Ramindu

HSC
N/A
Can anyone give me their sdd syllabus notes following 2012 syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)