Genetics, the code broken (1 Viewer)

dannielle_93

HSC
What did everyone think of the questions? and what did you say as answers?

Glorious

HSC
The questions were good. I didn't like the selective breeding one that much.

I liked the last one. had heaps of technologies... how about you?

dannielle_93

HSC
That one wasn;t too bad i hated the technology one my brain went dead haha.
what mutations did you say for q1?

Glorious

HSC
Wasn't it frameshift? lol. It's bases, not chromosomes?

Anyway, yeah mutation 1 was base substitution.

Effect - no effect since it codes for the same amino acid?

Claire_xox

Premium Member
HSC
Wasn't it frameshift? lol. It's bases, not chromosomes?

Anyway, yeah mutation 1 was base substitution.

Effect - no effect since it codes for the same amino acid?
Yep I put no effect as well. I stared at that table for ages trying to figure out what it meant lol

Glorious

HSC
Yep I put no effect as well. I stared at that table for ages trying to figure out what it meant lol
Yeah, I looked at the mutation - the bases i think were TGC AND TCC and i couldnt find one of them! and they were in the same freaking table cell or whatever! lmao. I'm like oh... that was silly of me. :p

P.S: I had already started writing my answer saying they're different and that the effect would be that it would code for a different amino acid... but once I looked at the right base sequence.. I'm like oh crap. had to scribble it out lol.

Last edited:

sonispucca

HSC
Yeah, I looked at the mutation - the bases i think were TGC AND TCC and i couldnt find one of them! and they were in the same freaking table cell or whatever! lmao. I'm like oh... that was silly of me. :p

P.S: I had already started writing my answer saying they're different and that the effect would be that it would code for a different amino acid... but once I looked at the right base sequence.. I'm like oh crap. had to scribble it out lol.
Yeah me too...had answered q's like this in class and presumed/wrote that ____ amino acid would change to ____, and then realized nothing happened. Not much of a time waste though :p

mahir

HSC
fuarking made a mistake in the firstr part, accidentally put frame shift then base sub instead of the other way aroud

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Lost a few marks in the last 2 questions. Other than that, not bad. Reckon I got full marks in multiple choice so just have to hope that the rest of the paper went well. My rank dropped from 17th to 20th/42 during trials (I was one mark below the median, three people on 17th so after that was me). Our school generally does well in Bio and the teachers mark harshly so hoping I can get at least a high band 5/low band 6.

cssftw

HSC
Fuck did so shit --> for the technologies -- all I could think of was DNA hybridisation and I filled up the whole given lines just with waffling on about how higher degrees of hybridisation mean a more recent common ancestor.

So i did one technology -- reckon I can get 4/7?

and the 4 marker with the rhesus - fucked that up lol. There's like 50 different antigens for rhesus blood grouping system, how the hell do you show it? Srsly, BOS, they should have said Rhesus FACTOR - which just refers to the D antigen, Rh+ and Rh- ... :( let's see that 4+3+3 marks gone... 15/25 :( 19/20 for multiple choice -- and shit house for the other 55 marks

Last edited:

Glorious

HSC
Fuck did so shit --> for the technologies -- all I could think of was DNA hybridisation and I filled up the whole given lines just with waffling on about how higher degrees of hybridisation mean a more recent common ancestor.

So i did one technology -- reckon I can get 4/7?

and the 4 marker with the rhesus - fucked that up lol. There's like 50 different antigens for rhesus blood grouping system, how the hell do you show it? Srsly, BOS, they should have said Rhesus FACTOR - which just refers to the D antigen, Rh+ and Rh- ... :( let's see that 4+3+3 marks gone... 15/25 :( 19/20 for multiple choice -- and shit house for the other 55 marks
Yeah but that's obviously what they mean - how else would you show that the offspring could be different? Just cross two carriers of the RH- factor and show how it could result in offsprings that are negative. I did that.

For technologies, there were heaps! I put DNA-DNA hypridisation, DNA sequencing, Amino-acid sequencing, DNA fingerprinting, gene homologues (gene probes).. and I think i had more.

ChristopherLuu

HSC
Yeah but that's obviously what they mean - how else would you show that the offspring could be different? Just cross two carriers of the RH- factor and show how it could result in offsprings that are negative. I did that.

For technologies, there were heaps! I put DNA-DNA hypridisation, DNA sequencing, Amino-acid sequencing, DNA fingerprinting, gene homologues (gene probes).. and I think i had more.
But the thing is that DNA hybridisation was part of blueprint, DNA sequencing/amino acid sequencing (essentially the same) would be part of genetics (I think), DNA fingerprinting is in option and I didnt think gene homologues were relevant since I thought they are genes that are shared by MANY species (I did HOX genes as gene homologues which is present in pretty much every multicelluar organism) + gene probes were used in locating positions of genes in chromosomes not only specific to gene homologues.

I did DNA fingerprinting and genome maps (mentioned how recombinant DNA created probes which allowed genome maps to made in flurorescent in situ hybridisation)

ReneeApple

HSC
I did the same thing, and then I was like, oh, and just wrote a little this could happen but this is not the case here as they both code for the same amino acid :p

shakky

HSC
But the thing is that DNA hybridisation was part of blueprint, DNA sequencing/amino acid sequencing (essentially the same) would be part of genetics (I think), DNA fingerprinting is in option and I didnt think gene homologues were relevant since I thought they are genes that are shared by MANY species (I did HOX genes as gene homologues which is present in pretty much every multicelluar organism) + gene probes were used in locating positions of genes in chromosomes not only specific to gene homologues.

I did DNA fingerprinting and genome maps (mentioned how recombinant DNA created probes which allowed genome maps to made in flurorescent in situ hybridisation)
I did DNA hybridisation (My teacher said it was correct= YAY!), genome maps, inheritance and evolutionary patterns, common genes, and just to be a smart arse i made up some BS about comparative gene cascading in the similar development of tissue through gene expression- LOL but at least it didn't contradict anything so i can't lose marks for it. So 3 or 4 methods ok for 6-7/7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)