Genetics? Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
The 7 marker was great... so much better than last year!

It wasnt very demanding at all and no Homeotic genes!!!

Last edited:

shona1990

HSC
Soooo much easier than I had expected!
:D
And the whole "interpret from the graph?
awesome!
Wasn't sure of the very last question though... can't even remember what it was... 4 marks... Ehhhh. Don't care anymore. :)

Amylou222

HSC
shona1990 said:
Soooo much easier than I had expected!
:D
And the whole "interpret from the graph?
awesome!
Wasn't sure of the very last question though... can't even remember what it was... 4 marks... Ehhhh. Don't care anymore. :)
Yeah it was pretty good, though the first one on multiple alleles I didnt know as I missed that lesson in class, but i think it was about coat colour in mice or something...
The last one was about transposons, you know how they insert themselves which stops the expression in the phenotype of certain genes, i hope so anyway cos thats what i put!

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
I was prettttty happy with the questions.
=]
Easier than other papers ive looked at =]
yuppp.
so glad its overr but =]

trentles

HSC
Amylou222 said:
Yeah it was pretty good, though the first one on multiple alleles I didnt know as I missed that lesson in class, but i think it was about coat colour in mice or something...
The last one was about transposons, you know how they insert themselves which stops the expression in the phenotype of certain genes, i hope so anyway cos thats wat i put!
i have NO idea on genetics

i wrote something about changing base sequences lol

probably wrong..

was the question about cloning just asking how we did our research..like on the internet (elaborate)

and then for reliability..like comparing with other soures and stuff

amyg238

HSC
trentles said:
was the question about cloning just asking how we did our research..like on the internet (elaborate)

and then for reliability..like comparing with other soures and stuff
Yeah thats what I wrote, it was a pretty weird thing to ask, but I think my anwer was good.

That last question about transposable elements on the other hand... why was it included with Down Syndrome? I couldn't think of how they were related or even what it was asking so I wrote some crap.

elliegow

HSC
I didn't relate transposons to Down's Syndrome.. oops.
But yeah, I'm really happy with the questions we got!
For (research on cloning) I wrote two pages ah mebe a little too much.

somewhereelse

HSC
research on cloning, what were they looking for? i wrote a whole heap of crap.. mainly about sources i didnt use.. and didnt really relate it much to the process of cloning except to say that some sources didnt go into detail about quiescence or the electric charge used or something like that..
eh.

and transposons.. probably not enough detail..

but those graph questions were very much appreciated!

tunesonic

HSC
Just because the transposons were grouped with trisomy, it didnt mean that they had to be related...coz theyre really arent all that related

btw, what did you guys put for the graph
i put 9 coz it didnt touch the corner...lol, i thought it was a trick. hope i get it right ;)

for research on cloning, i think they were looking for whether u understood the verbs "gather and analyse" (EDIT: ) and also "describe"

Last edited:

shona1990

HSC
tunesonic said:
Just because the transposons were grouped with trisomy, it didnt mean that they had to be related...coz theyre really arent all that related

btw, what did you guys put for the graph
i put 9 coz it didnt touch the corner...lol, i thought it was a trick. hope i get it right ;)

for research on cloning, i think they were looking for whether u understood the verbs "gather and analyse" (EDIT: ) and also "describe"
Yep, I put nine. It definately wasn't ten!
I have no idea what transposons is!
Like... I've never, not once heard the term before. So I just left it. Eh, it was only 4 marks, and I did well for the rest of genetics!
"Evaluate the reliability of information you gathered"! How easy do you want to make it?!
I can't believe how easy it was! Especially for me... I honestly thought that section would screw me over, but it didn't! :)

Amylou222

HSC
well i put 9 too, but seeing as it said 'estimate', i guess they'd accept 10 too.

zingerburger

HSC
I figured out the gradient at that point by differentiating the equation of the line, and then subsituting the value on the x-axis into the equation.

And then I realised that the maths test was yesterday and estimated 9.0000^1.

Freakster01

HSC
are u guys mentioning transposable elements? cuz that was the last q worth 4 marks.
isnt that just talkin about jumping genes? ~~"

Etak90

HSC
the cloning gathering info question was easy! i love how you didnt have to actually talk about cloning, just about gathering resources.

the exam was ok overall the part that screwed me over was the dna replication flowchart. i mixed it up with some of the steps of protein synthesis... oh well
its over!!!!!!:graduate:

philipadams123

HSC
the first part i did coat colours in rats and dogs, whic was wrong :(, i was thinkin of a dihybrid cross, bah

second part i explained that dihybrid cross so hopefully follow on marks :S

but rest was sinch

7 marker talked about gene cloning for cystic, yadayadayada

4 marker was transposons basically reduce the length of the genome, by creating different polypeptide strands by jumping alone the dna strand to new locations, pretty sure u didnt need to relate to downs, as it is a chromosonal (trisomy 21) disorder, not a base sequence disorder

somewhereelse

HSC
pretty sure that graph thing was ten.. i was like bah! easy! i didnt even think it could have been a trick. meh.

SSejychan

HSC
ahaha.... so many people after the test were like "wtf? transposable whats-its????"

Lol... i'm SO glad i had read up stuff about them.. but, i still don't think i put down enough info.. i basically only said they are genes that can jump to structurally different sections of dna, and that they can create new dna sequences... or something along those lines...

But, the rest of genetics was A-OK. =)

steff167

HSC
the transposable elements were related to down syndromes cos trisomy can be a result of transposable elements, well thats wat i put. Im hoping its right. Except i went a little off track with the 4 marker... i ended up rushing cos of time. I liked the seven marker but i dont no if i put enough in for the seven marks, kinda like the 8 marker in the core.

Freakster01

HSC
LOL yea same here a lot of my classmates comes out 'o wat did u write for that last 1 on genetics?' i was just luky i went thru it rougly the nite before or i wuldnt have known wat to write besides knowing wat it is haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)