• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GEO half yearlys (1 Viewer)

MushROOM HeaD

HSC
heya fellow geographers lol

just wonderin what questions u came across in your half-yearlys ...
pls post them ... cause sharing is caring lol

ALLLICE

HSC
my geo half yearly isnt until nxt week but should be pretty easy...only on world and mega-cities so its hardly a half yearly compared to my other exams..

...keep on geographing fellow geographers

billabong5888

HSC
i have mi geo exam on tomoz aswell and im thinking the question will either analise the vulverabiliti and resilience of ecosistems or evaluate the traditional and contemporari management strategies of TWO ecosistems that u have studied. but who knows..
newaiz good luck with ur exam
xox em

MushROOM HeaD

HSC
:D lol thanks for tha replies

i found out that yer ours is too on resilience and vulnerability of ecosystems and the global network of world cities .. well along those lines lol

um just having toruble with understanding tha global network stuff .. ny notes would be helpful or even just a brief explanation lol

good luck to all :apig:

felixcthecat

HSC
seemed like everyone had their geo half-yearlies'tomorro' when they posted.. but then i guess that's when u start looking into the geo forums :D I don't have my half-yearlies until next term..
were there any unexpected or hard questions in half-yearlies? and can u post them? hehe plz! my geo notes are all over the place (esp. ecosystems at risk topic) so i don't realli kno where to look..

"Chubby"

HSC
回复: GEO half yearlys

hey geo'ers, i did my half yearly's last fri and boy, was it hard. LOL. Or maybe it was due to a lack of sufficient study? lol. I found the multiple choice part difficult. The short answers okay and i had to do 2 extended responses. One on one economic activity and another one on great barrier reef or the alpine snowys. I think i did better in the economic activity one. I wud tell u guys the wuestion i got given, but i honestly can't remember any. LOL

Nodice

HSC
The_highwayman said:
good luck.

you do realise that you will have to use the letter "y" in your exam, don't you?
Hahaha... Good luck guys!

"Chubby"

HSC
Re: 回复: GEO half yearlys

Without Wings said:
Chubby instead of double posting with an edit you have for an above post, you can use the edit button. This way you can fix any mistakes made or add something you may have forgotten. To edit your post hit the "Edit" button in the bottom right hand corner of your post :)

LMAO!!! How silly of me to never notice that button. Thankyou.

ElEm

HSC
Just had my half yearlys and am really pissed of if ailed.. 47% just annoyed because everything we learnt in class i did well in but i bumped out hard on all the skills work...

5/15 for the multiple choice and 0/10 for the cross section part ..

depressed and sad

jessica110788

HSC
For Ecosystems at risk we did rainforests and the question was:

Outline the nature and rate of change in tropical rainforests and assess the effects.

Mega cities and world cities:

Describe the role of world cities and explain the operation of the Global Network.

Fun Fun Fun!

felixcthecat

HSC
that soo sounds like the questions from my past papers.. but then i guess there aren't that many things they could ask for an essay..

annabananna88

HSC
augh... it was an ewwwy exam
short answers was
-a cross section, v-e and local relief of it
-describing the changng nature across it
-name a cuntry town and identify and explain the changes occuring over time in the country town

long answers
-compare the natural stresses and hman induced modifications affecting te rate of change n eco functioning of an eco in source D with that of an eco u have studied
-describe and explain the nature, character ad spatial patterns of megacities in the developing world (aughhh wasnt expacting the last question....yet made up 16/20 worth so meh

felixcthecat

HSC
mhmm.. the essay question for my half-yearlies was soooo unexpected cuz it was right off a past paper question!! something about human impact on the rate of change of 2 ecosystems...

and i've reasoned that when they say 'specific examples' for urban dynamics, they want the name of a building/place.. something which i wasn't too sure about DURING the exam.. grr!!!

i guess i'll just hav to wait to get the exam bac and see how miserably i've done ><'' and if i havn't had a heart attack afterwards, maybe i'll come update with the hard questions~

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i dont think u need to name specific buildings. Specific examples means you aren't just allowed to say "the urban dynamic of Urban renewal in evident in pyrmont" without going further. You would be required to mention such things as the construction of pocket parks or the gentrification of townhouses or adaptive reuse of the old woolsheds.

Specificly naming a building only adds to a response, but it isnt necessary in order to fulfil the requirement of giving 'specific examples'.

felixcthecat

HSC
if it's that what the marker's looking for them i'm safe :D yay lol.. now i'll hav to see if the marker realli was just looking for 'specific examples' such as new parks, gentrification, turning terraces to offices...

i also find that in geography... after writing the essays, i feel like i havn't mentioned much things, but then i count that they're around 6/7 pages already- long when compared to others (although i write a bit big).. does it hav any link to poor planning so i don't even notice what i've said or not said?? lol.. i tend to get alright marks afterwards as well :S

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
if u can remember more specific examples then thats great. Eg: CSR sugar refinery becomes apartments, name harris st to give a location of some of the gentrified townhouses etc.

In regards to planning, i really can't judge how good your planning is myself. But if you're getting good marks then that's ok i guess. However, "good" is a subjective term depending on how high one's standards are. Geography is one of those subjects where you feel like you can include a great deal of information into one essay. My writing is sort of big also, and i used to write 6-7 pages on average. I would judge this as an acceptable amount, depending on the question and how relevant your essay actually is.

My advice to you is to make sure you know your syllabus. Make sure you know the parts required for each of the dot-points. These are often named in the syllabus itself or they should be in your notes.

For the example about urban dynamics in a suburb, our class chose urban renewal in Pyrmont, Sydney. This is what i would probably write as a plan:

Intro: define Urban renewal
P1: Urban decay (necessary precursor for Urban Renewal)
- Definition
- Suburbanisation
- Decentralisation
- Containerisation (1960s)
P2: Gentrification
P3: Adaptive Reuse
P4: Site Conversion
P5: Government Policy
P6: Urban Sprawl
(Paragraphs 1-6 outline the causes for and evidence of Urban renewal in Pyrmont)
Conclusion.

Using these key words i can create a logical essay, as long as i understand the meanings of the words and relevant examples to support them.

Some people might require more detailed planning, some require no plan. Do what is comfortable and what gets the best results.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)