getting into retail stores (1 Viewer)

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
umm just wondering...all retail stroes(ie. myer) need u to have previous retail experience...how are u then supposed to get that retail experience if all retail stores need previous retail experience?
cos i wanna apply for some work..but for work expereince i was working at a computer place fixing and making computers..no customer-related experience...

thnx

Last edited:

Abtari

HSC
yeah. she's right. i told you already, and you still doubt what i said. If stores only recruit those with past experience, how do the newcomers ever get to work? of course, thats not the case. you just need to be able to prove urself..maybe in an interview, maybe through ur school activities blablabla

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
miss_gtr said:
...get you a retail job in either myers or their little franchise of stores.
Its coming around to xmas time, so you will be very likely to get a job as a xmas casual.
What franchises/subsidiaries does Myer own? They stock the product from many stores (ie Esprit, Tarocash) -- who rent the space off Myer and all profits from those clothes are the brand's, while Myer gets paid rent for their space and the processing of the sale--, but I'm not aware they have any subsidiaries under the Myer brand, really. They've got their own brands, but they're only sold in Myer.

Very true about the christmas casual stuff -- I'd imagine it might start to be getting late if you've never had experience, but don't let that stop you. Some stores require retail experience, especially if they're smaller, and I'm not surprised they're requiring it for christmas casuals -- they don't want to have to spend time training you and waiting for you to learn the ropes and come up to full productivity over christmas.

If you want a job and can't find places not requiring previous experience, I'd try mid-year positions at the bigger chains (ie Kmart, Target, Dick Smith etc), or a supermarket...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Skittled said:
What franchises/subsidiaries does Myer own? ..... but I'm not aware they have any subsidiaries under the Myer brand, really. They've got their own brands, but they're only sold in Myer.
ColesMyer owns coles, myer, target, kmart, officeworks, bilo, vintage cellars, liquorland and so on. I think that is what miss_gtr meant. Myer itself doesn't own anything because it's owned by someone else.

The information about the rent is very interesting! I wasn't aware that was how it worked.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
when i applied for myer (through ColesMyer) they never said anything about retail experience. if you're straight out of school, they understand if u don't have any work experience. if you're not straight out of school, they at least expect you to have some people skills - whether it's from an office job, or with computers as you said.

some shops require you to have retail experience, but not that many shops ask for it. usually posh ones like Guess, David Lawrence, and all the other expensive ones in the city. But for your nearest shopping centre retail outlets, they don't usually ask for retail experience.

i've gotten two jobs in retail and i didn't have any retail experience - just people skills, i guess.

ColesMyer is great to apply for, but unless a franchise they own near u is willing to hire, the chances of getting employed is quite slim.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
CML/Woolworths etc are the key to a start in the retail world. Personally, I think hospitality is a muuuuuuuch harder (read: almost impossible) industry to get into with no experience.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
iambored said:
ColesMyer owns coles, myer, target... <snip>
The information about the rent is very interesting! I wasn't aware that was how it worked.
I know, I was just being pedantic! ;) mm. I thought the renting was really interesting, too. Not sure on the details though -- only know it as one day my girl and I were buying an Esprit top/pants/bra/something for her from Myer, and the lady serving us pulled out her scissors and cut the tag so it sliced off the bottom half of the barcode. She put the little snipped barcode and put it in a little box she pulled up from under the counter. I asked her what she was doing, and that's the way it works, apparently. Even more interesting is that might mean if ever you get a tag which is missing the bottom half of the barcode, it may've already been bought and returned... or Myer is just trying to increase it's cashflow from its rentees! ;)

Maybe someone from Myer/somewhere else which does this could fill in any details?

hipsta_jess said:
CML/Woolworths etc are the key to a start in the retail world. Personally, I think hospitality is a muuuuuuuch harder (read: almost impossible) industry to get into with no experience.
My experiences with the hospitality industry isn't particularly positive... Even more ass licking than retail. 'Course, that's just my opinion! Maybe there's a better way of doing it -- ie going and getting a TAFE accreditation and getting into it properly..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't read most of this topic but you don't need real work experience- charity work (eg. red shield door knock appeal) and volunteer work (eg. helping out at school to organise something). I applied for my position without any "real" work experience as such besides yr10 work exp, Young Achievers, a bunch of extra curricular work at school (ie. Managing finances for charity event) and Red Shield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)