getting more memory installed in your computer?? (1 Viewer)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
Lately my computer has been running well abit slow compared to when i first bought it, and lately i have been getting pop ups from windows saying windows memories is low, its increasing memory space etc maybe because i have alot of programs installed like; firefox, limewire, photoshop, aim, anti virus/spyware programs etc, Im just wondering the best way to get extra memory into my computer, like getting some memory installed, or getting a computer technician, i may be not the best at computers, but i'll learn..

so what's the best way?

and how much would it cost? because i know its expensive

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
A FREE solution is to increase your Virtual Memory (using hard disk as a memory space).

Right click on My Computers>Properties
Select Advanced tab
Click Settings button in the Performance box
Select Advanced tab
Click Change button in the Virtual Memory box
Select Custom and enter 1024 (minimum) 4096 (maximum)
Click Set button
Press OK all the way and restart the system

4096 MB (4GB) should be sufficient in holding the memory and speedy enough for your prescribed applications. However, you must be sure to have at least 4GB of free space on your hard drive.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Although using virtual memory is a good idea, I think its worth pointing out that if a computer is going to need to have its virtual memory settings changed just to get it running for day to day use then it has some serious issues to start with.

It would be worthwhile doing some maintenance jobs on your computer like uninstalling programs you don't use, getting rid of programs you don't need that start up with Windows and hog memory, and running a defrag.

The only memory intensive program you mentioned is Photoshop, others are small enough programs that a computer should be able to handle without running into memory problems, and it used to run faster, so it sounds more like to me your computer just needs a tune up, not more memory thrown at it.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
The point of manually increasing the virtual memory is to prevent the popup message "windows memories is low, its increasing memory space etc" as it was originally pointed out.

Yes, what sunny said, uninstalling/removing unused programs and files then doing a defrag would help you computer gain speed. You can ask back if you need information on how to defragment your drive.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Backup files onto CD/DVD.

Uninstall Programs.

Comp is slow.

Low memory could also be due to lack of disk space which increasing your virtue drive and freeing up 4 gigs (which ultimately likely to remove the popups) is rather pointless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)