Global degree program (1 Viewer)

Junaida123

HSC
Hi I'm in year 12 and would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me their experience doing the bachelor of computer science global (honours) degree at UOW and if you would recommend the degree as i am really considering it. :)

MONONYMOUS

HSC
I'm also considering one of the global degrees. Does anyone have any information they can share about the degree (other than what is already given)?

Wattsy2020

HSC
Huh, I decided to search to see if anyone was interested in my degree and there is someone, lucky for you cause I'm the only one doing the Computer Science stream at the moment.

I'd say it's pretty good, definitely better then a normal degree, but there are a couple of negatives compared to alternatives.

First the Computer Science course itself, it's decent but very easy, if you have done any programming before prepare to be bored in the two first year programming subjects. I did enjoy some subjects though, for instance CSIT113 is a pure problem solving subject which was very interesting. I'm only a first year so it's hard to judge the entire course but so far I'd say it's decent, nothing special.

Secondly the internship part of the project, this is pretty well organised by UOW. I don't know how but they've somehow managed to convince Telstra to give me an internship in the field I want, while I'm a first year and pay me as well.

Thirdly the Overseas part, this part could be a deal-breaker. The overseas institutions in Hong Kong and Singapore are only small colleges, they only offer 4 Computer Science subjects per semester. This means that I can't do some of my mandatory second year subjects while I'm there. I have to do some second year subjects in third year, some third year subjects in second year and some subjects I can't even do at all.

Basically my timetable for next year is a complete mess which is very disappointing. If you really want to go on exchange then maybe you can cope with this but otherwise it's not really worth it. This is only the first year of the program so maybe it'll get better but be warned, the overseas part is not as good as they say.

Thankfully the program has good support, I have some supervisors who I'm currently negotiating with to stay at UOW for the first semester and then go to the Dubai campus (which is an actual University) in the second.

If you do decide to enter the program I'd really recommend also applying for the Westpac Young technologists scholarship, it gives you $5000 per year and also connects you to a bunch of cool people, I met a phd in quantum computing at one of the events. Westpac offers 6 scholarships for UOW students so if you're good enough for the Global honours program you'll probably get into this as well.

Overall I'd recommend it, it gives you lots of interesting opportunities and UOW cares about the students. Feel free to ask me any other questions and good luck with your HSC Junaida.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)